RELH....knife stuff

I have not heard of that particular knife maker, but am somewhat familiar with his process. Several makers have been able to cut steel bolts in two with their high carbon steel knives. Bucks knives used to advertise their first generation knives as being capable of that.
He probably used 1095 high carbon steel and used a salt-water quench to harden the steel after soaking the steel at 1475 degrees. Then tempered it to 60-61RC. High carbon steel is a damn good knife steel and will cut for a long time, but it's big drawback that most hunters hate is that it will rust if you look at it wrong. Requires a lot of care to keep it from rusting and that is the reason it fell out of favor with most knife users.

RELH

feddoc; That was and is, amazing. Of course I saw the use of where my Daughter & Wife work. I pasted a couple segments below... a teaser for some to read the article. REHL, feddoc did good for you in finding this Article....Send him a FREE knife as appreciation :)

Frank J. Richtig died on January 1, 1977, having told no one how to recreate the process. ?A man is entitled to some secrets,? he once said, ?and that's mine.?
Twenty three years after Frank Richtig?s death, Dale Novak, a relative of Frank?s and an excellent knife maker himself, sent two of Richtig?s knives to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California.
Speaking of teasers, I have been addicted to buying WWI & WWII Bayonets. I thought I cured myself by not thinking of Blades but the article awoke my desires to now include Richtig blades. This could get expensive. Just some of the WWI Bayonets can start at $300 and go up during an auction. Just depends on Quality, Rarity, and the wild card is; "Does a Collector NEED the item on auction to complete or enhance his collection". I am not a Collector, simply a Student of History.

The Proof Marks allows something old to almost; Talk, and tell it's stories. I will give some examples below.

62695threeearlybayonets.jpg

29888threedifferentproofmarksinflyingbomborflyingonion.jpg

56919riathecfacingright.jpg

2283springfieldarmorythecfacingleft.jpg

45967unionforkandhoeflameisdifferentandthereisnoc.jpg

1879 French Bayonet, 3 edged
416551879frenchbayonet.jpg

1879 French Bayonet History told in Proof's

81184matchingserno.bayonetandscabbard.noteanchorproofmarkamoungothers..jpg

Those are just a few but a Real Collector will have better examples. The Article feddoc was kind enough to post is, to me, true History. feddoc, your a bad bad boy for showing me such an Article. Off you go to do 30 sit-ups :)

I hope many others read the Article and send me PM's if they find such a knife. Wait, no...I don't need to get into it... :)

Jager, very interesting "collection" of bayonets you have. Thanks for sharing.

My Dad was a veteran of WWII. He was a welder in the 373 Engineers. He served in the ETO spending time in England and landing on Utah Beach and eventually to Berlin. But I digress....

He brought home a "custom" bayonet that he made. It was a standard bayonet that he put a custom handle on. They were in a forest somewhere in Belgium or Germany and they discovered the wreckage of a ME 109. (German fighter plane). He fashioned a handle from a couple pieces of the wind screen.

He kept it out in the garage and when I was a kid I used to sneak it away and use it. One day I took it out and lost it somehow. Dad found out and was kind of upset. At that time I had no sense of history of course, but I sure wish I had it now.

Thanks for dredging up the memories.

THAT is very interesting and, hit's Home here. I need to ask my Father in Law about a K-Bar knife he gave to my Son. He was an Naval Officer of a Pacific Fleet Salvage Ship. He used a thick Clear Plastic to make a new handle. But, he was also a Division Leader later at Livermore Lab so I need to learn what he used.

He's in his later 90's and going strong.

Jagerdad, he probably used clear pixieglass, not sure I spelled that right. It was used for windscreens on military aircraft. May also been used for porthole windows on naval ships.

RELH

>Jagerdad, he probably used clear pixieglass,
>not sure I spelled that
>right. It was used for
>windscreens on military aircraft. May
>also been used for porthole
>windows on naval ships.

Plexiglass or maybe Lexan?

I had my Wife ask him and he spoke about making a knife when young in Arizona by filing down a file then adding leather. His memory is off so, it will require my Son to drive there on his Harley and Grandfather having ridden all his life, will be cheered up by the Bike and then, the Knife may be shown. Hopefully holding the knife will bring back his memory on this item.

We are losing our WWII vets fast and that's just one reason I made the Post, seeking folks to share Military stories/history.

eel did and I hope others do also. Memorial day is near. Seemed like the right thing to do/post; Respect.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom