Reloading costs?

Ellensburg

Hi. I was thinking about getting into reloading. What is the most cost-effective way to get into the hobby? I have been saving my .257 casings and some 30-06. Can you guys link me to some good set ups for a beginner and maybe give some prices. Thanks.

Go to the "Midway" web site or RCBS and look at the starter kits they have. I would consider RCBS being one of the best kits on the market for getting into rifle reloading. their Rockchucker reloading press will last a lifetime. I believe the kit is around 250-270 bucks and it will give you the items you need to get started. The dies for each caliber and the shell holder will set you back another 30-35 bucks per caliber.
you can also check Ebay for used reloading equitment, again I would stay with RCBS because it will not probably be worn out if bought used. On dies, I prefer to buy only new. Too much of a chance getting a used sizing die that has been abused and causes scratches on your cases. Get a good reloading book, Sierra, hornady, Nosler are good ones, and it will have information on how to start reloading and may save you problems down the line on doing something that may be unsafe.
P.S. You are not going to save that much money. All of us reloaders pour what we save over factory ammo back into more shells for more shooting. Your shooting should improve because you will get 3-4 times the practice for the same amount of money buying factory ammo.

Good luck;
RELH

RELH is spot on, as usual.

I like Forster dies.

Get into reloading and have some fun!!

MidwayUSA will usually always have the best prices so go with that. I like Redding dies, but RCBS will work fine. If the brass have been shot (fireformed) through your guns, you probably want to get a neck sizing die rather than full length. Eventually you'll save money and shoot better if you reload your own...Good luck, Steve

I respectfully disagree with Graybeard on neck sizing.

NEVER neck size hunting loads!! Bad juju.
Always FLS hunting rounds.

I'm a big neck sizer fan for my bench rest rounds though.

That may be good advise for a beginner RANGERCON. I've neck sized my hunting loads for years as they are more accurate. I'm sure that's the reason you neck size your benchrest loads. One thing I do is run the neck sized, loaded cartridges through my magazine to be sure they all feed great. However, very rarely have I had to reject one from the hunting box. I'm guessing that's why you are saying NEVER neck size hunting loads. Anyway, there's plenty of other aspects about reloading that can bring accuracy, and reloading can be fun...Steve

Hello graybeard.
I've been working out of town and not had time to reply to your last post.

No, my concern is not a neck sized round not fitting in the magazine, rather it's that when you neck size a round you don't bump the shoulder back.
This causes the case to chamber quite a bit tighter/stiffer, or with more difficulty than a FLS round and may cause a problem when you are chambering a first round or need to cycle your bolt for a quick follow up shot.

I've actually only experienced marginal accuracy improvements when neck sizing and only use it on my bench rest rifles.

In short, I FLS all my hunting rounds and can generally shoot MOA or better with them or I don't even take them to the woods.

For the record, I do like to neck size and love the speed in which I can reload and the longer life that it gives my brass.

Just my .02 of course.