Reloading equipment questions...

deepforks

couple questions here..
what primer seating tool are you guys using and what are the pro/cons you're experiencing? i can't stand the stock priming tool on my lyman press and i'm looking for a handheld version.

also, who has any experience with both rcbs precision mics and the hornady lock n load head space bushings? pros/cons? i'm kind of leaning towards the hornady since i've already got the bullet comparator kit, but i'd like to hear some opinions.

thanks,

i dont know anything about the mics but i use the lee auto prime and it works great

I use the RCBS hand held with the auto adjustable shell holder. Will handle cases from very small 32 auto to 45/70 rifle and you do not have to buy the different caliber shell holders.
Very smooth operation and fast.

RELH

I have used both the Lee Auto Prime and an RCBS. I use the Lee, not because it is any better, but because that is the one I started with and that is the one I am used to.

I use the standard RCBS handheld primer tool, no complaints with it but it is the only one I've ever used.

Just about all my dies are Redding dies.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-12 AT 07:14PM (MST)[p]I have used the Lee, Hornady, and RCBS. Currently I have 3 of the RCBSversions on my bench. They are set up for each of my families small rifle (.222, .223, .17 Rem), large rifle (243, 308, 25-06, 30-06), large rifle magnum (300 Wby Mag). I hate the time to change things around, so one for each. I like the leverage on the RCBS more than the Lee and it uses regular shell holders.

The Lee is ok and I used it for years. I have broken a few of the levers on them though. I also had to open the top to fit the 338 Lapua case.

I did not like the Hornady version. I tried it and gave it to a buddy. He used it for a month and also got rid of it.

I use the rcbs and love it. Very easy to use and easy to feel the primer seat and if the pocket is tight or loose.

I have the hornady and it works exactly like the comparators. I am not sure that they are as accurate as micrometer style. I get a of .003-.005" depending on how hard i push. I like to think that I am calibrated and do it consistently, but when my brother measure something we are definate .003-.005" different every time.

You have the comparator so you know exactly what you will be getting with the hornady headspace guage. I like it cause its fast and easy...and I don't measure headspace very often (only when problems arise). I do use the bullet comparator all the time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom