Reloading help

MNHunter

Hey Guys, I need your help. I started reloading a few months ago and am having some trouble with my 300 WSM reloads.. Im shooting max load with W760 powder in Norma brass and 180 gr accubonds. After full length resizing, the rounds are hard to chamber in my gun. After 2 firings, they are very hard to chamber as the bolt is difficult to close. OAL is not the issue. Anyone know what is going on and what the remedy is for it?
Thanks

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Sounds like you may need to bump the shoulder back...

How are you setting up the sizing die?

Also just to make sure how are you measuring for OAL? Off the bullets Ogive or the tip?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

You also should try cutting the length down use a mic and see if they are too long!

>Sounds like you may need to
>bump the shoulder back...
>
>How are you setting up the
>sizing die?
>
>Also just to make sure how
>are you measuring for OAL?
>Off the bullets Ogive or
>the tip?

Thanks for the reply, bear with me as Im learning as I go.

I set up the sizing die just as the instructions stated...screw the die until reaches the shell holder and then 1/4 turn after.

I measured OAL to the tip of the bullet. Is that not correct?

How do I "bump back the shoulder?"

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

You could also have the decapping rod set to low. The expander ball will buldge the base of the case and it will make them hard to chamber. The rod should be set just long enough to pop the primer and no more....dont ask me how I know.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I agree that you may not have the die adjusted enough to sit the shoulder back enought for your rifle. Take a black magic marker and blacken the intire neck of the case. Keep adjusting your die down until you see a line, caused by the neck sizing, just touch the shoulder where it meets the neck. Now your die is adjusted to that rifle, and that rifle only.

If you still have problems, you may be getting a problem where the brass is flowing towards the neck. Magnums with hot loads are good for this if your die is not adjusted to size the case as mentioned above. You will need to check for possible case head seperation. Most reloading manuels tell you how to do this. Also check to see if your case neck has increased in thickness due to the possible brass flow and causing a larger dia. neck when you seat the bullets that jam tight into the chamber.

RELH

I agree that you may need to make sure it is sizing the neck all the way. Also after you are FL it are you checking case length? The OAL of the case itself may be to long. Are you trimming your cases to length or just sizing and loading?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom