Reloading Nickel Brass

PCPython

I have a bunch of nickel brass laying around that I'd like to use for reloading. I've heard different reviews about reloading nickel and was just wanting some more opinions on the matter. I was also wondering if the number of loads to be expected is about the same as regular brass.

I'd be loading it in 22-250 as well 300 Weatherby and 300 RUM. Any help would be much appreciated.

Go ahead and reload it. I have reloaded a pile of nickel brass. Just treat it the same as you do your regular brass. Nickel brass does have the tendency to get neck splits before regular brass, but you should get 3-4 reloads out of it.

RELH

I've loaded it in handgun ammo. I've heard, but don't know it to be true, that it can be hard on non-carbide dies. mtmuley

get neck splits sooner in rifle but not pistol! Loaded a bunch of 7mm TCU and after about 2 loads it split on the third. But that is a lot a forming.

Rutnbuck

You are wrong about no neck spilts in pistol caliber. If you are loading for cast bullets, you have to bell the case mouth and that will lead to neck splits very soon.

I always got more reloads out of rifle nickel cases as you normally do not bell the case mouth and stress the brass and hard nickel coating.

RELH

True Relh however with the 7tcu where it starts out with a .223 then fire form it. Caused extra stress. I had probs with it so I went back to brass. Rutnbuck

I would never doubt the word of RELH. He is the gun Guru as far as I am concerened! Hydrogen is traped between the brass and ni when it is applied and causes brass to become brittle, If one is shooting cowboy action black powder loads where as sizing in not critical then go for it. And as far as annealing it good luck with that.

Rutnbuck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom