Reloading question#2

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
I measured a brand new federal premium 270 130 rain bt shell. In the reloader manual it says to load at a certain measurement. But the new shell is smaller. ?

I always seat the bullet to MY rifle and define it as so many thousandths of jam or jump (I never jam hunting rifles). In a hunting rifle, the sweet spot for me is between 15 and 30 thousands less that max CBTO length.
The OAL in the "books" works but might not optimize accuracy.

Is that what you're asking?

Zeke

*Note: some throats are long and the above might not apply if you cannot fit the loaded cartridges into the magazine.
Every gun is DIFFERENT.

So if I consistently keep the same size with all my reloads, under max. I should be fine. I measured a bullet that shoot great out of my rifle from new ones. Also measured a few others new ones also that I have. Most of them were different sizes from each other in the same box. Wow!.. The best ones I shot were the ones that mostly all of them measured the same length. Thanks guys

The issue is that when buying bullets from different lots, even though they're supposed to be the exact same bullet, the base to ogive measurement could/will be different.
I just loaded some Nosler .277 130 grain Nosler AB's for my daughter and lot variance was 35 thousandth BTO. *at least they were consistent within the same lot.
That's a ton of difference but it is what it is.
Plan, measure and seat accordingly.

So if I consistently keep the same size with all my reloads, under max. I should be fine. I measured a bullet that shoot great out of my rifle from new ones. Also measured a few others new ones also that I have. Most of them were different sizes from each other in the same box. Wow!.. The best ones I shot were the ones that mostly all of them measured the same length. Thanks guys
Factory ammo is normally not very consistent especially OAL.
I always do as Zeke does and measure the lands of my chamber before I start my loading process. I measure off the Ogive with a comparator also.
Most reloading manuals have a generic max OAL that usually fits most rifles.

The issue is that when buying bullets from different lots, even though they're supposed to be the exact same bullet, the base to ogive measurement could/will be different.
I just loaded some Nosler .277 130 grain Nosler AB's for my daughter and lot variance was 35 thousandth BTO. *at least they were consistent within the same lot.
That's a ton of difference but it is what it is.
Plan, measure and seat accordingly.
This. The shape of your bullet matters. You can have issues if you seat it out too far and it’s in contact with the lands.

I’ve chased the perfect seating depth before, and I don’t think it was worth the brain damage (unless you like tinkering) for that slight accuracy improvement.

I’m looking for good accuracy, with a safe oal that my guns will chamber reliably. If I shot competitively it would be a different story.

With the right tools and some time on the range (which never hurt anyone) You can pretty quickly find out if your load/gun combo likes 10-20-30-40 thousandths off the lands. That's only 12 shots from a bench (not counting working up the powder charge but that's another topic and another 5-6 shots) and chances are one of those will produce the desired results in a big game gun.
I know, some will say that's too big of a difference and you might skip over the "best" depth but most guys are way happy with 1" or 1 MOA at 100 yards anyway. (I know, everyone's rifles shoot 1/2 MOA. I heard all the BS)
Load the same powder charge, same bullet and depth and verify with at least a couple 3-shot groups (5 is better since that's a REAL group but we are talking about a hunting rifle after all) over a couple more trips to the range. That's another 12 shots at the most and who cant stand to shoot 24 rounds total to find the sweet spot?
*Let the barrel cool way down between shots so its as close to seasoned cold bore since 1st shot hits are the most important for hunting and it's way easier on you throat!
Load, done, enjoy and then buy another rifle so you have something to look forward to working on! LOL
Zeke

You need to be using a bullet comparator that measures off the ogive of the bullet. Don't measure and try to compare lengths off the tip.
unless you are trying to make them fit in a magazine.....

I measured a brand new federal premium 270 130 rain bt shell. In the reloader manual it says to load at a certain measurement. But the new shell is smaller. ?
Mickeyelk,

I'm just getting into reloading myself and have been watching a ton of Youtube videos. Here are a few channels I recommend. I especially like Sam's videos at Panhandle Precision.

I've learned quite a bit from that Erik Cortina guy. And I've been reloading for 35yrs.

btw, reloading just to reload so you can shoot a round or two off is fun and doesn't require a lot of knowledge. However, reloading for say long range shooting is never ending. You'll be tinkering forever! lol

Load, done, enjoy and then buy another rifle so you have something to look forward to working on! LOL
Zeke
I occasionally get to go shoot with Zeke, and I rarely see him shooting with the same rifle!
It's nice that he always has something to look forward to. ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom