Reloading question of the month. Do You know?

Yakatak

About 10 years ago while sitting in a cafe in southern Utah, the owner/friend of mine, walks up to me and handed me this can of rifle powder. He says, "You shoot one of those big, heavy cannons don't you"? I replied, Yeah! He says, "Here, use this up and when it's gone come back, I have more". Well its been 10 years since I've needed to reload this firearm of mine as I normally muzzleload for everything but pronghorn. But, the issue here is, I can't find any loading data on this powder, let alone any info on the company (Ireco Chemicals SLC, Utah) who made it. On the back of the can it list MAX loads for the 264Win, 7mmRem, 270Wby, 300Win and the 300Wby. It closly matches listed loads of H1000 in almost all of the calibers. Was Ireco acquired by Hodgdon? Id like to know for sure and see any supplymental loading data-info on this powder. The (Max)only load for my 300-Wby is for 90-grains on a 180-grain bullet @ 3226fps. My Chrony say's 3330-fps out of a 24" tube with Fed-215's. And the bolt isn't "impossible" to open! Anyone know???

4a754db364a2ab7b.jpg

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Thomas Jefferson

Ireco and DuPont were the company's that pioneered gun powder as we know it today.

I have never used any, but there is alot of guys in the area i live that used it many years ago for there 264's. in fact i think the 264 is the most popular round in this area..for what ever reason.

last i heard, the Ireco plant is a superfund site in Toole county, and has been out of biz for some time. i am not sure of that, but i do know they were a large government contract company in WW2, and also made alot of explosives for mineing.

if i were to crony a 180 pill at 3300+ from a 24" barrel i would be a bit nervus!

I am sure there is guys on here from the Toole area that know more about the company, if they dont chime in here i'd make a post about Ireco in the general forum.

A friend of mine shoots a 300 Ultramag and loads 180 grain bullets & Retumbo powder (98 grains). His loads shoot a little over 3300 fps and are slightly under the max load in the Nosler Reloading Manual. It's a very accurate load in his Rem 700.
-- Bob

Thanks Guy's! I'll post it in the general forum and see what comes of it.
Yak

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Thomas Jefferson

maxx...
i guarandamntee that your friend isnt getting 3300 out of a 180gr bullets with 98 gr of RETUMBO out of a 24in barrel. i dont even know of a rum chambered in less than a 26 in barrel. there is a little difference in the pressure between that velocity out of 26 vs 24.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom