Reloading the Great 280 Remington

T

Trophymossback

Found a 280 Remington Rifle today I just could'nt pass up. Now, I need to get some advice on tried and true reloads for my new toy. Any of your pet loads would be helpful and appreciated!
I expect to use a 140 grain Triple Shock bullet, but happy to hear about success with other bullets.
Thanks,
TM

I use to shoot 140 gr , but started using 160 gr Nosler partitions. I shoot 54 gr of IMR 4350, and 160 partions. Love this load in my gun. As with any load, work up to this load if you try it. I use the same powder for the lighter bullets. 215 federal primers.

Since I got a 280, I rarely hunt with my 7mag... The difrence is pretty insignificant.

Mine seems shine with RL22 or IMR4831 with both 140s and 160's. I think I've tried 3-4 diffrent bullets and a couple diffrent weights. Right now my 'pet' load is 57gr of RL22 behind a 160gr Accubond with Win brass and CCI200 primers. This is a max load or near max so work up. I had good luck with 59-60gr of RL22 with 140gr bullets as well. Again max load... This bullet has accounted for 8-9 animals now.

Good luck, I think you might find that you reach for the 280 more than anything else. I know I have been finding myself packing it more and more every year.

WOW! Thanks for all the wonderful advice. You have given me a great place to start. I will customise the load to fit this rifle. Possibly the 160 grain bullets will be the optimum. I had an now passed old friend that loved the 280 Rem. so much, I just had to buy it. Possibly in memory of him!
I certainly didn't need another rifle, but heck, I didn't have a 280....A guy's gotta have what a Guy's gotta have!

TM

I have been looking at a new rifle to buy for 13 year old. He has had great success on Mule Deer and Antelope with a .243 and his older brother has been using a .270Win for 4 years. I decided the 13 year old can handle a little more recoil than the .270 and I like the extra bullet weight of a 7mm and decided with everything I've read a .280 was the right ticket for him, especially since we reload and I already shoot a 7mag. The problem is no one seems to chamber this caliber anymore? I don't really want to use gunbroker, etc. and you don't find .280's in the paper often. Looks like I might have to go with a .270WSM in likely a Savage.

I think Ruger chambers the 280 Remington and I am certain others do as well. It is a fantastic cartridge. Uses less powder than a 7MM Mag and shoots a pretty close to the same velocity.Low recoail and lots of power.
I understand the 280 remington is experiencing a rebound in popularity, and I know why. Keep looking, you will be very happy that you did!

I will also do some checking for you and get back to this site with more information about availability.

By the way, I was talking with a well known custom rifle maker and he said that he is getting more and more orders for 280 Remingtons and 280 Remington Ackley Improved for his custom work.

TM

Browning still makes the .280 on its A bolt. I have had one for 20 years and killed about 22 deer and a few elk with it. You can not go wrong with that rifle. Welcome to the elite club.

Mike Henne

Mike is correct, Browning A Bolt or Ruger 77 ll are available. I heard a rumor that Remington is bringing it back as well. I see a few on the computer gun sales, GUNSAMERICA, ETC.
There is a Remington 700 custom Rifle in 280 for sale on ACTION ARMS, as we speak.
You will like the 280 Remington....

TM

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-07 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]Here are some that I have for the 280 remington:42.0 Varget (150 Nos Ballistic Tip Spitzers & or 150 TSX BT, 60.0 H1000 using 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip Spitzers, 54.0 H4831 SC using 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip Spitzers. Now in the 140 weights here is one: 60.0 H4831 SC 140 XLC BT. Good luck!

I havn't seen one yet, but have heard a rummor that Remington is finally chambering the 280 in thier SS mountain rifle. They currently offer it in their CDL and standard Mountain rifle.

I like the caliber so much, I'm having another one built. This one will be a fly weight though. :) Shooting for a pound lighter than a standard Mountian rifle scoped and loaded.

TM that .280 is a heck of a cartridge and it will more than likely be your go to rifle. It works well on the deer sized game shooting 140 or 150 grain bullets and just plain does the job with a great trajectory. You have an excellent selection of bullets and most of them shoot great. I've been shooting one for 20+ years and have absolutely no complaints.

Here's a picture that a friend of mine from SD sent me recently, he got this Cow last season up there in SD. Said that he shot the cow with a 280 Remington shooting a Factory 140 gr. round. Dropped her right there where he is standing.
Bob spent 20 years working up in Alaska and all he used up there was this 280 Rem. and a .35 Whelen.
Brian
46116ad25b372c2d.jpg

I got my .280 in a trade for an 06. I had browning A-Bolts and he had Winchesters. I traded my 06 Winchester straight across for a wood stock .280 A-Bolt. I'd seen him shoot sub 1" group with several different bullets and a 3" group @ 500 yards. Best trade I ever made. Used mine strickly for deer since the .338 is for elk. Reloaded 56 gr imr4350 behind 140 grain bullets (Ballistic tips and Partitions) Shot great with both to almost same point of impact. Ballistic tips were slightly better. Cut the stock down for my son and reloaded 140 gr X-bullets. Still shoots great and he's taken 2 elk and one deer with it.

As has already been repeated here, the .280 is excellent and has been my primary caliber of use for many long years. Have found the 160's to shoot a bit better in my rifles than the lighter weight bullets. IMR4831, H4841sc, IMR 7828, RL22, and RL19 with magnum primers have worked well. Mostly Partitions and X's in the 160's, but have found one rifle to love the 140 Accubonds. Have used this caliber on many muleys and elk, also two moose. Prefer double lung placement to save meat and the story is always the same, even on the moose - bam, run 30-50 yards, dead. Have never felt under-gunned. I too used 7 Rem. mags for years and loved them, but because of the .280's have sold all but one. The 7mm bullets, regardless of which case they are suffed in, just have a magic about them. As the old expert rifle and bullet nut/hunter/outfitter/and author Bob Hagel once wrote - "After having dug out hundreds of bullets from game animals of all sizes, I still find the .284 175 grain bullet to give more penetration than any other caliber, regardless of size." This guy had more handloading and combined field/kill experience than most anyone that has ever walked, and was die-hard honest. I hope you love your .280 the way the rest of us do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom