reloading

MuleySniper

I have a few caliber rifles I would like to start reloading my own ammo for. I dont have a clue where to start. Id like to start reloading .300 wetherby mag, .270 wetherby mag, .223, and 22-250. I think it would be a fun hobby too. Does anyone recommend a good starting reloader? Whats the best one for the buck and where should I start looking. The wetherby ammo is the real tough one to have to pay for. Nearly sixty bucks for a box of Nosler partition. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
MS

RCBS make a reloading setup called the rock chucker. It is a very good value. I believe you can get every thing you need to start reloading for less that $250

The best "Bang" for the Buck I believe to be the good ole RCBS rock chucker kit, runs about $250. You will still have to buy the dies and a few other little things, but it will get you started producing excellent quality rounds in no time. You will make you money back quickly if you shoot your Weatherbys much.....

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

The GUYS have given you excellent advise. RCBs and I believe Redding have Booklets, Videos and all the stuff you need to learn how to reload. The very best thing you can do though is connect with an experienced reloader and spend as much time with him as you can. It is a great hobby and money saver. But the best part of reloading is finding the most accurate load and bullets for each rifle. In my mind it is the very best way to become the kind of riflemen you will want to be. Before long you will be calling your shots and you will experience the pride of taking game more efficiently than you ever have before. You will be a very confident shooter and can experience the joy of taking game with ammo you craft yourself. It is kinda like tying flys and catching trophy fish with something you made yourself!

TM

RCBS Rockchucker gets another vote from me--Their service is hands-down the best in the industry. I've had to deal with them 3 times, not because their product failed, but due to my own carelessness and they took care of me quickly all 3 times.

Travis,

RCBS Rock Chucker gets my vote. Redding Dies are also good.
The following link has Nosler 2nd's that look and shoot the same as the boxed version you get at retail. They are shipped in a plastic bag. Example Nosler Partition 180 grain were recently listed for $9.95 but they sold out in 2 or 3 weeks. http://shootersproshop.com

300WBYMAG,

Thanks for the link. I'll add it to my bookmarks. Reloading those wetherby mags is something my dad and I have been talking about doing for a few years now. I'm certain I'll be shopping around for the rock chucker. I went to the website and checked out the whole process. It looks like it could take some getting used to, but like some other guys are saying, you get more satisfaction when you do it yourself. Plus I have quite a bit of brass kicking around.
MS

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-07 AT 11:44PM (MST)[p]Don't even know why I'm responding cause the other guys gave you great advice.

I don't know about saving money cause I shoot my guns lots more since I reload. Working up the bestest, fastest, mostest accurate load may take buying several types of powder, bullets and shooting different loads repeatedly through the gun. There is a level of satisfication when after a dozen load combinations and 100's of rounds through the gun, you know you have the best load possible for your particular gun.

I spent a whole summer shooting my .338 to work up a deer/antelope load. 200+ rounds. Shooting that thing off of a bench in 70-80 degree weather in a t-shirt limited me to about 18 rounds a session before my accuracy suffered. When the size of the group was because of me and not the gun/load, it was time to quit and come back another day.

Forgot to tell you to go to the Guns, Archery, shooting section of this website. There are true experts there for almost any technical question you have.

Up side is that I know where that load prints at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. Guarentee you'll shoot much more if you reload and become a better shot for it.

Lee makes a great starter kit for $89. It doesn't have the bells and whistles, but you can always upgrade later. I've used both RCBS and Lee presses, zero difference IMO. I reload for a 30-06, 270, 300 WinMag, 7mm Mag and 7mm-08. The Lee does just fine. I've since upgraded alot of the other equipment, etc.

Nothing beats that price for a beginner and it comes with everything you need to reload out of the box.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

I've used the Lee one for years with no trouble. I wouldn't recommend their powder scale though, I'd go RCBS on that one.

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

I just shot my first 270wsm reloads last week. Midsouth had the best price on the rockchucker kit but you will probably end up spending around $500 by the time you get things like case trimmer,tumbler and various little tools. I got alot of info on a shooting website called netrifle.com You also might want to look at some Stoneypoint gauges. In the long run you'll save money depending on how much you shoot especially on the higher costing ammo and you'll have a bullet that fits your rifle better.

I use the Lee and it has been great for me. I reload a bunch of different calibers and with the Lee you can buy extra 3 or 4 hole die holders. This allows you to never have to screw any dies in or out.

Ditto on the RCBS kits.

When we started we bought rcbs dies, after using a Forster rifle die I wish I would have just bought them in the first place they are a much better die.

Best advice I could give you is to go buy a reloading manual such as the Speer manual (usually comes with the rockchucker kits) and read the reloading process, this will give you an idea of what you need and how it's done.

horsepoop.gif

I'll have to agree with most everyone else. The RCBS rockchucker is a great reloader. I picked mine up on ebay for pretty cheap. You can always find them on there. I shoot the Lazzeroni Patriot and if I was to buy my ammo from them it runs almost $100 a box. So I have already easily paid for my reloading setup a couple times over. And I don't shoot very much. It is fun just remember safety and get a good routine going.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-07 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]The Rockchucker is a great press... and well recommended if you do alot of reloading... BUT! Dont think you have to start off with it. If you have the money go for it but if not, RCBS also makes an entry level kit called the Partner Press. It is about half the price of the Rockchucker kit but still has the RCBS items and equiptment.

I started off with it 20 years ago and have reloaded thousands of rounds over the years. I keep meaning to get a Rockchucker press to replace mine but even with as much as I reload, I never get around to buying the stronger press.

EDIT: Heres a partner kit for $133:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=595396

Also check out my website which leans more toward reloading, www.HuntingNut.com. We have nearly 6,000 handloads in our online database.

-DallanC

I appreciate all the helpful info everyone has advised. I saw on ebay the rock crusher kits for around $249 + $25 s&h. I figured on spending around $500 to get everything set up minus all the dies for all the calibers I want. I dont have any problem spending money on quality stuff and from everyones responses, I have a couple to choose from. Thanks again for all the input
MS

Every one did give you very good advice. But now I will try to make you think about a few things and sor tof go against them a bit. No question a kit is a good economical way to start, I did. Problem is I have replaced about half the stuff in the kit. I would really think about how much ammo you are going to reload and if it is better to spend a little more know. First the case trimmer in the kit is perfectly functional and good. But if you are going to do a bunch of ammo you may be better off spending themoney on a power trimmer. A digital scales is nice, not neccasarly better, just nice and fast, I do think some of the new kits have a digital. Case lubeing, I hate using the pad, its a mess. Ezway sizing lube is great, cheap and easy. Priming case- the press works I like the feel and easy of the hand primers a lot better. I have from custom dies to Lee and I really do like the Lee dies and they are cheap. Sinclairs sells very good stuff and they will help you a lot because they are SHOOTERS. Buy there benchrest reloading instructions and read them before you buy anything and thnk about what your goals are. It doesn't take much longer to reload to "benchrest standards" then to just throw shells together. Again the kits are good, but just take a bit to look at some things and it may actually save you some money in the long run.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom