reloading

alp75

Very Active Member
Hey guys, I think I am ready to get into reloading. I have avoided it long enough, but if I am gonna do it I want to do it right. Right now hornady has a rebate offer where you can get 500 free bullets when you purchase one of their reloaders. I am leaning towards their progressive 5 station reloader. Any suggestions / recommendations? Any tips I should know? Help me out here. Thanks!

I have always felt it is best to learn reloading on a single stage reloader. It is slower and allows you to concertrate on what you are doing to avoid mistakes that can injure you or worse.
A progressive has it's own set of quirks to learn and you are more apt to screw up by getting a double charge of powder or no powder in the case.

If your main reloading is for rifle, start with a single stage press. A progressive is nice to have for loading large amounts of pistol ammo. I use a progressive for my pistol reloading, but still use a RCBS Rockchucker single stage for my practice and hunting rifle ammo reloading.

RELH

Thanks for the input. Reason I was considering a progressive is because of the amounts of reloads I would need for my ar-15 and ar-10. The progressives don't seem that difficult to understand, but then again, this would be first for me.

RELH is spot on... Cabelas has a black friday sale, The rock chucker kit is only like $249 after rebates... thats a hell of a deal...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

>I have always felt it is
>best to learn reloading on
>a single stage reloader. It
>is slower and allows you
>to concertrate on what you
>are doing to avoid mistakes
>that can injure you or
>worse.
> A progressive has
>it's own set of quirks
>to learn and you are
>more apt to screw up
>by getting a double charge
>of powder or no powder
>in the case.
>
> If your main
>reloading is for rifle, start
>with a single stage press.
>A progressive is nice to
>have for loading large amounts
>of pistol ammo. I use
>a progressive for my pistol
>reloading, but still use a
>RCBS Rockchucker single stage for
>my practice and hunting rifle
>ammo reloading.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH

Exactly...

You will get a higher quality and more accurate reload from a single stage press. I would also reccomend RCBs over Hornady.

I have the Hornady progressive press although I only do pistol ammo on it. I use a Redding single stage press for all my rifle ammo. I would buy a Dillon progressive press if I was going to do it all over again but, the Hornady progressive press works just fine, I have never had an issue with it.

Check out this site before buying he reviews the Hornady press in depth and there are videos to.

http://ultimatereloader.com/

Romans 10:13
THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

+ 1 for RELH I have both. Lean the quirks of reloading with out the quirks of a progressive! The mistakes of a Progressive plain and simple ain't worth it. Learn how to walk before ya try running! Work up some loads learn the basics then graduate to a progressive.. Rutnbuck

If you are buying a progressive Dillan is the best system hands down. Hornady close second and I have both.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I really do. It has got me thinking. Seems a single stage (as I assumed) results in more precision and accurate loads. Now, as far as progressives go y'all make them sound like it's rocket science! Not trying to be a jerk here (honest). But come on, it can't be that hard, right. I am very mechanical and on a weekly basis am constantly repairing ATV's and snowmobiles in my fleet. That means, replacing frames, straightening and repairing frames, fixing and adjusting carbs, rebuilding motors and literally removing and replacing every item on the machine to a new frame and yet a press that has multiple stations that each do a simple task is somehow extremely difficult and easy to screw up. Can someone please explain this part to me? I've read up quite a bit and watched a few instructional vids and I am really not getting what is so difficult about a progressive. Additionally are you guys using a single press using it for high volume for your AR 223 & 308 rounds? I get using it for a rifle and especially those into long range accuracy, but you are using single stage presses for your high volume stuff too? Am I completely off base here? Realistically I should probably buy both, however I don't know that I am ready to make two purchases and the main reason I would be buying is to reload for my AR's not my hunting rifle. Does it still make sense to start with a single press with that in mind?

You can make a better finished product with a single stage hands down. It is also easier to throw a double charge on a progressive. As far as accuracy for what you're doing you don't notice a difference. What I think you are more likely to run into, especially with .223 on an AR platform, is getting a hundred cartridges only to find out they won't chamber worth crap. You can get this either way but with a single stage it is easier imo to monitor quality control with brass sizing.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Alf Not rocket scince for sure. I kind of figure if your smart enough to reload your smart enough to take advice from a couple pro's Like RELH, 1911, If you give me 5 minutes I could teach a monkey to reload! From what you say I think you need both. I have had several of both. I still use Dillion 550 for progressive. I like a turret head single stage. Rock Chuckers are great.
A guy can get all set up easy enough buying a used outfit! Comes with all the trimmings. Case trimmer, scale, maybe a tumbler, powder measure, powder trickler, maybe dies, collets, large and small primer feeds, flip trays , boxs, small and large case holders the stuff aint cheap. I could go on.
Progressive kits don't come with a lot of necessities.
I am still bying bits and peices after 35 yrs. Never know what you might end up with a used outfit. And as far as the press goes it is pretty tough to hurt.
Rutnbuck

Alp75;

I learned my basic reloading 35 years ago on a RCBS Rockchucker press. I finally went to a progressive when I started shooting pistol matches and was shooting 1000-2000 rounds per month for practice.

I use a Dillon 550 for my pistol ammo and have complete change over kits for 6 different pistol calibers. If you are looking for creating lots of 223 ammo I would look at the Dillon 550 over the Hornady. You can get it set up at the factory for your 223 caliber. You will have less chance of a double charge with that caliber then you would with some pistol calibers.
Most of the time a double charge on a 223 caliber will overflow the case and you will see it. Do not go velocity crazy with your loads and always check several sources before trying a different load and you might not have a bad experience.

When you switch componets for a new load, use the first two completed rounds to see if they will chamber in your rifle. No need to have several hundred rounds sitting around that you can not chamber in your gun.

RELH

Awesome advice guys. Thank you. Looks like (and I assumed this may be the case) I need to just start buying both options and just slowly add to the mix a few items at a time. Gets awfully expensive if you just want it all right now. My business is always slow this time of year, so maybe I will use the slow time to learn more and look for maybe a good used outfit and supplies and then make some purchases once business picks up around Christmas unless I find a smokin deal on a used set up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom