reloding

J

jsalas68

I'm currently working on a load for my 264 Winchester Magnum. The load is 65 grains of IMR 7828 behind 140 grain XLC. My velocities have averaged 3050 fps. groups can be covered with a nickle at 110 meters. Question is that i'm only one grain above mim load. The barnes manuel list mim at

64 grains velocity 2905 Max 69.0 grains velocity 3132.

by increasing to 66 grains could I expect another 155 fps or lose fps? Right now i have no pressure signs but how much is too much?

It is not what you use, but where you hit em.

Try increasing your loads by 0.5 grains and try for grouping. Keep increasing until you get pressure signs or reach max. You may get lucky and get better groups just under the max load. Bottom line, a good accurate group is more important then 100-150 FPS anyday.

RELH

RELH thanks for the info. grouping with xlc seems not to be the problem. i had a load with 4350 53 grains and the group was even tighter you could cover the 3 shot group with a dime the only problem was that velocity was only 2450 fps. my problem is recognizing pressure signs.

So you recommend that i stay with 65 grains istead of try to sneak out a few more fps?

If you have the time, and want to find a accurate load with higher velocity, go ahead and work up loads with the same componets, but increase the powder by .05 grains for each loading of five rounds. Test these loads until you reach max. You might get lucky and find a load that is very accurate at the higher velocity. If you do, you get a load that is flat shooting and accurate. If you do not get decent accuracy at a higher velocity, and can always drop back to the 65 grain load that you know is accurate.
As for reading signs of an "excessive load", most reloading manuels will give you information about what to look for when your loads are starting to get too hot.
Working up a very good hunting load is the reason for reloading besides saving money.
Good Luck;

RELH

If you are going to go with the Barnes line, I suggest you look at the Barnes Triple Shock. It's the most accurate, easiest to load, and best of the bunch, IMO.

My Sako .300 Win mag will shoot any Barnes. But, friends rifles that don't like the XLC or the "X", seem to like the TSX, if they like a Barnes at all.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom