Rem 700 BDL Recoil Pad

jbricejr

My brother is having trouble finding a recoil pad for his old Rem 700 BDL. He has ordered several from Brownells but apparently none have fit his stock (a couple too small and one too big). The gun was manufactured in Dec. 1979. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Thanks
John

Even the so called pre-fit pads that are sold will be a little off on size. Get a pad that is just oversize and have him take it in to a gunsmith to grind the pad to his stock. Or he could try butchering it himself as most home gunsmiths do.

RELH

Hey, I resemble that remark! I found out after one that grind to fit doesn't mean take a grinder to it!

seriously tho, things I can do myself, I prefer to do even it there is a learning curve. If a guy isnt totally useless, simple gunsmith projects are not out of reach.

In this case, if you have a mounted belt sander (what I prefer), you could try it. but if its a one time deal, go to a gunsmith...I learned to do it cuz I knew I would need to do several more down the road.

RELH, have you worked with the limbsaver grind to fits? they are a PAIN ! I like the pad, but the decelerator is sooo much nicer to work with.

Like you I prefer the Decelerator pad, that is the one I have on all my hard kickers. I have found even the better hobby gunsmiths will not get the toe line on the pad the same angle as the stock.
I have even seen pads that were cut down to fit by a guy who used his pocket knife to whittle the pads down. Looked like a bunch of waves on the side of the pads.
Any one who wants to start doing some simple home gunsmithing to their own guns should get a book that will show them how to do these simple repairs and take their time to get it right.
Some guys will be good at it, others will be better off going to a smith and having it done.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom