Rem 700 magazine problem

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
I have a brand new Rem 700 Stainless in .300 WinMag. I've put probably 140 rounds through it so far, and have some trouble loading 3 rounds in the magazine. It's the spring magazine, not the detachable.
I would say it loads 3 in the magazine every 6 or 7 tries. I can push the rounds down, so I know the spring isn't maxed out. Not sure if it's a new gun thing or not...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks~!

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Make sure the first round gets in the groove,& not on the ledge. It does matter the way you feed them in there.......yd.

The first 2 rounds fit fine; but when trying to load the 3rd one in the mag, it wont click down and lock in.

YD
I'll give that a shot tonight. It appears it is getting to the groove part of the spring plate; but i'll double check tonight.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-10 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]

YD is right. Your follower is angled to allow the rounds to fit into the magazine so they will feed properly. Not getting them staggered in there in the right fashion will cause the issue and not allow the last round to fit into the mag properly. Sometimes the follower will hang up as the rounds are fed into the magazine and it will cause you to put the round into the wrong position. This is usually caused from too much pressure exerted upon the round being placed into the magazine on the wrong side than where the round should be seated. It's easy to do with the scope covering the ejection port and then the additional rounds don't sit right. BG just make sure you apply pressure on the rounds into the right direction in which they're supposed to rest and that should help. Belted cartridges can add to the issue. You're stacking too many cartridges on the high side of the follower which won't allow the last round to fit properly to close the bolt. This is exactly what YD meant but hopefully you can visualize it better with the extra wind!!

BG that magazine has a metal liner (magazine) in it on most 700 models that's smooth inside so it alleviates the issue of hanging up. If you have a hinged floorplate you can open it up and see what I mean the only space is in the rear and there's nothing to catch on back there or look at the parts breakdown in your owners manual.

Thanks again for some great info Boskee. I'll run it over tonight after work....cause as you can see, i'm working really hard in the office today...lol

Thanks all, hopin this is user error!

I'm pretty sure the follower won't allow you to get them stacked wrong, in fact I'd bet on it.

It's a pretty simple system, if you're sure the box and follower haven't been swapped the frame rails must be out of tolerance. hard to imagine but there isn't a whole lot else it could be. there's no tweaking with pliers on a 700 magazine it pretty much works or it doesn't.

440 It happens all the time. people stack 2 rounds on top of the high section of the follower and then the 3rd won't fit. usually they slide over to the other side but the spring tension will allow it to happen and they just sit in that position with the feed rail giving the top support holding them in place. You're right it shouldn't happen but you can do it really easily.....and it doesn't have to be a belted cartridge. Too much finger pressure pulling back toward the stock can make it happen in no time at all. You can make just about any box magazine screw up by not stagger stacking the cases right and it won't hold the proper number of cases because the magazine isn't wide enough to allow 2 cases to sit side by side. That's how the cases fit resting on each ther for that reason and to alleviate real serious feeding issues if they were side by side because the bolt would push 2 cases.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-10 AT 02:58PM (MST)[p]I appreciate the discussion fellas...it helps this bowhunter learn a bit! It does seem like a pretty simple mechanism though. It's just tough to see in there to see what's going on.

I do know with certainty that the initial 2 rounds are staggered in the magazine, so I'm not thinking it's the stacking issue...but whether they're on the correct side, i'm not sure of.

I'll try some of your guys' tricks, and take some pics tonight.

thanks again

LAST EDITED ON May-20-10 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]BG take your bolt out of the gun and place 3 empty cases into your magazine and you should still be able to push down on the cases so their below the bolt raceways. You can see which side the first round needs to be on to stagger correctly. Remember your bolt is round so it extends below that level because it rides on the bolt lugs. You may have something stuck in there if it's a blind magazine. If you have an BDL style with a hinged floor plate you can open it to see if there may be other issues. Remington has been building guns for that cartridge since the 60's so it's pretty rare that you get one with that cartridge feed properly. But it can happen. Hope this helps you a bit and you get the issue resolved. Usually if there's a feeding issue it's fairly consistant because you're doing the same thing each time you cycle a round and if the feed rails are out of alignment it's usually not on both sides since they QC the feeding at the factory. Not doing it one time with a full magazine when full but another usually indicates a stacking issue. If you're still having issues let me know and we can talk by phone since we're both here in Phoenix. CA

I recommend not using live ammo for this exercise or you may be buying a new refrigerator or TV in the event of a mishap!!

I tried it just for grins on one of my 700 actions and as I figured with the magnum case it's not possible to stack them wrong, the follower won't allow it.

I wonder if you have the correct follower? maybe it was swapped with a standard ? that would be my first guess.

i have a rem 700 in 300wsm. it supposedly holds 3 +1 in the chamber. i can get 3 in the mag, but it feels like something is about to break and it will not chamber. i just chamber 2 + 1. neve shot more than once with it anyway.

440, I have a feeling you might be right on the follower issue. Luckily, I bought it just down the street from SW, so I can swing up there and have them check it out.

Good point rifleman....Hopefully, I wont need more than 1 shot...But then again, I'm taking it up for my AK bear hunt this fall, so I might need 4!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-21-10 AT 10:01AM (MST)[p]BG 440 may be right in that they have a few different followers today where they only used to have 2. The SAUM. Ultra, short mags have confused the issue. But if you got one of those the cases have a bigger diameter and would need more clearance in the mag area so that should give you more room. What you telling us it's takes all three sometimes correct? I suspect that you may be hanging up on the belts by using your thumb and that follower has the short high area where none of mine do that allows that case to rock more rather than one long ridge. Try applying pressure with three fingers across the center of the case and and see if that may help let them go. If it takes them sometimes there must be a reason because everythings the same size. I sent you a PM and you can call me if you'd like. regards, CA

BG remember the spring design is a Z spring and putting pressure on the front will cause the rear to raise up. Hense the three fingers suggestion.

Got your PM Boskee, I appreciate it.

Yep, from time to time I can get 3 cases in there. But I would say 1 out of every 10 attemps or so. And, when I do get 3 in there, there is still a little play in the spring, so it doesn't seem maxed out...Having said that, makes me think it's not the follower; but it's getting hung up somewhere. Hmmm...

I'll give the 3 finger technique a shot tonight.

thanks again

Fixed it!
There are two little fold under tabs on the underside of the follower which were getting snagged. Everytime (well just about) I would push a couple rounds down the magazine, the 2 tabs would catch in the little space in the magazine. It didn't look like those tabs were too structurally or functionally important, so I just ground and buffed em down.

And voila! It's loaded 3 rounds perfectly about 20 times in a row!

The tabs I ground down:
[
IMG00141.jpg]

The little seperation it was getting caught on, looking up through the magazine:
[
IMG00134.jpg]

[
IMG00136.jpg]

Thansk to you guys for your help!

LAST EDITED ON May-24-10 AT 08:36AM (MST)[p]Glad you got it fixed! I would have just filed the outside of the tabs first to see if that prevented hangup. They're there to allow your spring to compress into a set area and not put excessive pressure on your floorplate but for most purposes you probably won't have any issues. A lot of older followers never had the feet on them and they worked just fine and your remedy is one that can has been used to solve your issue.

IF your floorplate gives you issue you can have it pinned or just put a piece of duct tape over it on your hunt. You'll know it pretty fast as it will open with very slight pressure. Most latch securely 99% enough so there isn't any issues and you'll probably be fine.Glad you got it figured out. Good luck on your hunt!!

Gotcha. I figured they had some sort of small purpose; but, getting an extra round is more purposefull for me!

Thanks again for your help Boskee. I'll let you know how it goes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom