Rem 700

foryst

So I got a really good deal on a Remington 700 this summer in a 270WSM. It was brand new. I took it hunting this fall and had a lot of problems with chambering the bullets. It would jam easy and was pretty frustrating. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with the 270 WSM or the Remington 700? I'm wondering if maybe it's the caliber, the gun, or both. Who should I have look at it? Also, what is everyone's thoughts on the 270 WSM? Would you use it for elk and moose or get something bigger? I am thinking of selling it just because of the problems I had.

Were you using factory or hand loads? I have killed a few elk with the .270 and it does just fine with good shot placement. No idea on moose

Rem 700 is a good gun. Not quite sure what is going on. If you are not happy with it sell it and get a tikka T3 lite...if you want something bigger get it in 300 wsm. I honestly dont think there is a better "over the counter" type rifle out there than the Tikka.

Perhaps the main negative issue with the short fat rounds is cycling them through the action; they don't slide out of the magazine and into the chambert well. Its a big upturn and then forward turn that as you have seen, does not always go smoothly.

Take something like a 30-06, longer and skinnier, and its much more of a gradual transition from magazine to chamber. H&H mags are even more so.

Foryst, I didn't catch if you bought your rifle new or not. If not, yes there were problems early on with feeding but newer versions had had the problem remedied. I'd have a gunsmith look at your rifle, it may be a simple fix.

My 270WSM is a control feed, similar to the pre 1964 type, Winchester model 70 and i really like it. No feeding problems at all and with my loadings, would not hesitate to hunt anything with it in North America maybe excepting the Biggest of Bears!

If you do sell, be fair to the new buyer and tell him of the feeding issues ahead of time. Best advice is to have it fixed and use it. They are a fantastic Cartridge in a great firearm!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. Sage, it was a brand new rifle. When I would try to chamber the bullet, two bullets would come out of the magazine and would try to get pushed in. Also, when I would finally get one bullet to slide forward it would hit the edge and cause some damage to the end of the bullet. I think I will take it in though and have someone look at it.

My cousin had the same problem with a 300wsm remington and a budy had the problem with a 270 wsm. Remington finally fixed both guns, but it took a while. Neither gun would chamber a round and the shells had bad scratches on them. I think both guns are ok now. My remington 270 wsm chambers ok. Call Remington as you are not the only one to experience this.

If indeed this is a problem with a good number of their new WSM rifles, yes, i would contact Remington Directly. One would think that their quality control would have caught this before any large number left the factory. I've always been a big fan of Remington products. Let us know how they want to go about getting you what you paid for!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I had this happen two years ago on a Rem 700 25-06. Cabelas has a no return policy on there guns, but they said they were aware of the problem with the 700's. They ended up taking the gun back. they called it a "small chamber". What's funny is they were having a big sale on them and there was only two left in the store that was "on sale".

I had that issue with my XCR, slid a bolt out of my other XCR into it and it worked fine. Rifle got shipped back to Remmy so they could be sure that was the only problem. Sometimes a small burr can cause it too.

I bought a 700 in 300WM this year. It would chamber OK but would not extract. At first I thought it was my hand loads so I did something I haven't done in years and bought some factory ammo.....same problem. I took I back to Cabelas and they had a gunsmith look at it. He couldnt see anything wrong but did run his chamber reamer down it and polish it. Problem solved.
Apparently it had a imperfect or rough chamber.
My son bought the same gun a few months later, (probably manufactured in the same batch as mine), and had the exact same problem. I have heard of more quality contol issues with 700's recently that I ever remember in the past.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-12 AT 05:08PM (MST)[p]Foryst
From what you are describing seems to me that the magazine box lips just need a lil tweaking. Very easy to do. Take it a lil at a time. The lips need to be tweaked inward to apply more pressure keeping the round from popping up and double feeding.

If i'm buying a new rifle it will be a rem 700. I don't like the short mags. i've never had 1 issue with all 3 of mine and the have all been shot ALOT!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

700 in 270 wsm is a horrible horrible rifle. get rid of it quick...ill help you out and give you $200 for it today.

>If indeed this is a problem
>with a good number of
>their new WSM rifles, yes,
>i would contact Remington Directly.
>One would think that their
>quality control would have caught
>this before any large number
>left the factory. I've always
>been a big fan of
>Remington products. Let us know
>how they want to go
>about getting you what you
>paid for!
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

With todays Remington, you the end-user are the quality control.

LOL, yeah put me down for $250.

I well remember the days when everybody's pickups were 2 wheel drive. One of my Uncles was the first to show up at the ranch in a 4x4 pickup. Everyone said it was not needed and just that much more parts to break...

Joey

Ya!

And so is Long & Skinny!

That's why I like Fat & Long!

Hello Mr. Wisz,This is the UDWR Calling....LMMFAO!
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

300wsm's just dont chamber well, I sold mine for the same reason, no way to fix the cartridge.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Good to hear that it sounds like an easy fix, I would rather not have to take my scope off and send it into Remington. Since I have no idea how to adjust the magazine, anyone know of anyone in the Cache Valley area I can take it to?

Winchester short mag. The wheel reinvented...only it goes flat more often. Do yourself a favor. Get something like a 300 if you must have the mag to feel like a man. It at least feeds and it will save you some money on the box of 20.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I love my .300 WSM Tikka. As was said before, I don't think there is a better deal out there thank the Tikka T3 Lite. It is the smoothest of all the actions in the price category. And very accurate too. I have never had a feeding problem with the rifle. I had one in .270 win mag as well. I can't speak highly enough of them, wish I had another one in .243

My favorite rifle in my safe used to be a Rem 700 in 6mm. I have the most confidence in it and my tikka, but the tikka is a much smoother action.

>300wsm's just dont chamber well, I
>sold mine for the same
>reason, no way to fix
>the cartridge.
>flyingbrass
>cold dead hands
>NRA Life Member

Brass,
Do you really mean your didn't chamber well... or it didn't feed well?

Side note to et al; I shoot 6 different short mag rifles and 3 daughters shoot 4 different short mags too. That's a total of 10 different short mag rifles and not an issue with any of them. Only 3 are Remingtons (one is a single shot however so it doesn't count) while the balance are Kimber or Win CRF 70.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom