Rem. 788

P

Pappabull

I have a Rem. 788 in 243 cal. It is a very accurate little gun. Were these 788's known to be real accurate guns or do I just have an exception to the rule? My gun has only a 16 or 18 inch barrel on it but it is a real heavy barrel.

Thanks
Pappabull

the 788 has always been known to be accurate. it was built to be very accurate at a low price. it has an extremely heavy, round action, that allows very little deflection and has a very fast hammer fall. the quicker the hammer strikes, the less time you have to flinch. i have a .223 that is nearly 30 years old. dead accurate all the time. been fired thousands of times and will still shoot one hole at 100 yards. coyotes fear it and it is known that they talk about it quietly. lightened the trigger up some, but that's the only modification. has a junky old bushnell scope on it. been painted camo about 6 times and really ugly, but still shoots real well.

I have a 788 in .222 Remington. I also have a crappy Bushnell scope on it. It shoots way better than I can. Hoping for better glass and a trigger job this summer. mtmuley

Elkslayer;

The Rem. 788 was introduced in 1967 and dropped in 1983. It had a detachable 4 or 5 round magazine and rear bolt lugs on the bolt in front of the bolt handle. Due to this feature, alot of gun writers made statements that it would be inaccurate due to bolt deflection, boy! they were wrong, it turned out to be very accurate for a lightweight rifle.
Ever now and then you will see one for sale at a gun show, but they are getting very hard to fine. Most guys who have them, like them so well they will not turn loose with them.

RELH

Another question if you don't mind. Has anyone had any problems with the 788s safety? The one on my gun is so easy to pop off from safety that I am always worried about it.

Thanks
Pappabull

Pappabull -- I have a Rem. 788 carbine in .308 with a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40mm scope. It shoots great and I pack it deer hunting in California's Sierra Nevada. My safety is a bit squirrely, but still engages and works.

In 2 days I'm picking up a Savage 11FL in .308 and I'll put a 3-10X40mm Weaver Grand Slam on it. My 30+-year old 788 will go into semi-retirement. Last deer season, I spent one long solo night freezing in the back of my 23-year old 4X4 Toyota with the 788 on a gun rack I built into my aluminum camper shell. Next morning my boots were froze solid, but that Leupold was still clear enough to shoot with.

I put a Ramline stock on the 788, which didn't help it's already questionable appearance. But I'd rather scratch and soak plastic than good wood. Later.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom