rem. 7mm mag. vs. rem. 7mm wsm.

G

giant34buck

I need your opinion on between those two type of rifle, rem. 7mm mag. and rem. 7mm wsm., I am trying to decide which one that I should buy and hunt for big deer. Thanks for any counsel.

One thing to consider is if you dont reload you have a larger selection for the rem. mag than wsm in factory loads.

7mm is an great all around gun! packs an punch though but I like recoil!I am thinking of getting the 7mmwsm for my son whos an big kid as his 1st rifle or I will give him my .257 wtby mag in ultra lite! do any of you guys shoot the 7mm wsm? hows the recoil or what would you get your son for an 1st gun! anything bigger than an .243!!
jack

270 wsm will do anything a 7mm rem mag will out to 400 -450 yds just as flat without all that recoil

As I have posted before, my 16 old daughter loves to shoot my 7mm Rem Mag (model 700). If recoil was too much of a problem with 7mm I don't think she would prefer my 7mm over other rifles she has shot. For deer use 140-150 grain bullets and have less recoil, for elk use 160 and 175 grain bullets-recoil is not bad.

Phantom Hunter

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-05 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]I'm going with the 7 Remington mag here real soon. In my opinion the short fat cartridges along with the lighter rifles are just marketing hype... I think a beefier rifle in 7 Mag will make a better long range platform. Then again, all my rifle killed deer have been killed with a 25/06 so far. So what would I know. ;)

I haven't shot the 7mm Rem. Mag. all too much, but I do have the 7mm WSM and love it. The only issue as brought up earlier, is factory ammo selection is more limited with 7mm WSM. However, new Accubond ammo offerings kick butt. Shot my raghorn bull this past season with a 160 grain accubond, entered the right shoulder and exited thru the off side rib cage, at less than 20 yards!!! There was no penetration issue at high bullet speed there.

I agree with OSOK, I think the short fat cartridges are a fad. For me there wasn't much to think about, I'll take the 7 rem mag

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the fatter cartridges allow the primer to ignite the powder more uniformly. This can improve accuracy and increase velocity with a smaller powder charge. If memory serves, the 7mm WSM and 7mm Rem Mag have virtually identical ballistics, notwithstanding the WSM's shorter case.

I also think that a shorter action makes for a better balanced rifle that is easier to handle. Many rifles with lightweight synthetic stocks tend to be barrel heavy. Anything you can do to push the balance point back towards the rifle butt is a good thing in my view.

I own both a 7mm Rem Mag and a .270 WSM. The 7mm has better bullet selection, but the .270 is more than enough gun for mule deer and I can shoot it all day without discomfort. I'd choose the .270 WSM first (unless you also plan to hunt elk size game with it), then the 7mm WSM, then the 7mm Rem Mag. My $0.02.

The WSM's may have been a solution in search of a problem, however certain facts: 7wsm has greater velocity, it has lower recoil, it's in a short action.

Those are facts. Now for you if recoil is a non issue, if you aren't trying to whittle a pound out of your rifle to be a true mountain rifle by getting a short action/barrel/stock and if you recognize that an extra 200 fps when you're already talking over 3000 fps is splitting hairs, you aren't going to be moved off a standard 7mag.

If I were thinking backpacking long distances, I'd go WSM and build or buy it in a Mt rifle. If I were thinking everything from antelope to elk, plinking and mostly hunting from car camps on day out and back hunts I'd probably take my 7mag. Ammo is cheaper, easier to find and if I reload I have more choices.

Good marksmen with a 6.5 x 55 will outperform most of the 7 mag shooters I've seen anyhow so fps/energy/drop etc etc is really a lot of hooey one round to the next within reason. There's 50 good rifles for your hunt type. Get one that meets your hunt style, that fits you well and that you shoot well.

I'd go with the 7mm wsm if I were hand loading, if I was buying factory ammo it really doesn't matter, since more ammo is being produced for the 7mm wsm now, but I am an expert by no means. I don't understand the concept that the short fat cartridges are a fad. A short fat column of powder burns more efficient period. I have had a 7mm mag for the past 12 years, last year I bought my wife a 300 wsm, almost the exact same case as the 7mm wsm. The price was right or I would have bought the 7mm wsm so that we could shoot the same leads. In chronographing velocities with the same powder, the velocities of the 7mm mag varied from 10-60 fps, and the velocities of the 300 wsm varied from 5-25 fps. This happened consistently over 50 rounds of hand loads for each. If that matters to you I would go with the wsm (short fat case), if not find something that matters to you weight, etc. and go with which ever satisfies.

I would in no way sell a 7mm mag to buy a 7mm wsm. They are so close that it doesn't matter. The 7mm wsm will usually be a little lighter, but the lighter you go the harder it kicks. To say that a 7mm wsm kicks less maybe, but you would have to have a machine to be able to tell the difference, everything being equal.

Don't worry about which to buy considering the case. Look at weight, length, and most of all how it feels when you through it up.

recoil is physics. Someone explain to me how 2 identical rifles, other than long or short action, can have different felt recoil sending the same diameter and weight bullet at basicly the same speed out the end of the barrel. It is advertised and talked about all the time but is physically impossible.

Am I missing something???

JB

I had the same question. When I started looking into it, the only reason that I could see that would have any effect would be the surface area of the end of the case that is transferring the recoil back into the gun. That is why I said that you would have to have a machine to be able to measure the distance, which will be so small you or I would never be able to tell the difference.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-05 AT 09:00AM (MST)[p]Long action rifles should weigh slightly more than a short action, hence a slight reduction in felt recoil. I doubt most of us would notice the difference.

Phantom Hunter

I have shot a 7mag for the past ten years. Never thought I would change to anything else. I looked at the 7mm wsm a year and a half ago but went with the 7mm UltraMag. Don't think my 7mag will ever leave the gun case again. Its a great all round gun. I really enjoy shooting it.......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom