Rem. Model 7 question

need4x4

Looking for a model Seven in ss synthetic in 7mm-08.

Question I have for those who have one or one in similar cal., is the barrel free floating? In stock config. is it free floating?

Have heard that some model seven's have a pad giving/providing some barrel tension.

I figure someone here knows the answer.

thanks,

Yes it will have a pressure point up torward the front of the barrel channel. After that, you probably will have to do a little sanding to get it floated all the way. I did that to a model 700 and the thing shot like a dream, I've done it to others without any noticable difference untill it was bedded. Shoot it first, if you cant get 1" groups, or do and still want better...then you'll have to start tweaking.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-09 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]Thanks hardway, hope your fourth is a good one.

I guess the next question is, does that pressure point need to be kept in place?
Of those our there with a model Seven, is that point kept or taken out?

Do some of you just get a bedding job that would allow for removal of the pad between the barrel and the end of the stock?

Thanks,

Need4x4;

No one can really answer that question to where it will be correct 100 % of the time.

Each rifle-barrel is a story in itself. some need the pad removed and fully free floated for best shooting. The next one off the line may shoot best with the pressure pad left intact.

As someone said above, shoot the rifle with different loads to get a picture of the accuracy. You might luck out with a paticular load. Before shooting, be sure your receiver screws are tight to prevent shifting in the stock.

If groups of different loads are not up to your standards, remove the pressure pad and free float the barrel to the area it starts it's taper in front of the recoil lug.

If that does not work, glass bed the action leaving the barrel free floated.

If that does not work, install a buisness card shim, or two between barrel and stock channel about 1-2 inches back from the forened tip and shoot again. If that works, replace the business card shim with a epoxy one with about 6-8 lbs. of pressure.

If that does not work, glass bed the intire barrel channel for full contact with the barrel. I have ran across several rifles that shot best this way.

If none of the above works, rebarrel or dump the P.O.S. Now you know why I will not buy a used rifle unless I can get it reasonable enough to figure in the cost of putting a new barrel on it.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom