Reminder: You can shoot cougars now if you have a hunting license

heartshot

Very Active Member
No cougar permit required. If you have a valid hunting or combo license...shoot away.

There are not many restrictions or requirements. See the Cougar guidebook for rules and reporting requirements.

Idaho has allowed this for years:

Hunters may pursue mountain lions ten months of the year in Idaho and can buy multiple tags in a single year. Electronic calls can be used in a limited number of hunting units. Nonresident deer and elk tags may also be used to harvest a black bear or mountain lion.

A lady got attacked by one deer hunting about a mile from me on the archery opener last year. I support the rule changes and agree with Mr Shane on the bears suggestion

That could be fun.
And help save our Deer herds from the giant fawn eating Raccoons.
I shot this Utah Bear two years ago, I wonder how many fawns he eat in his lifetime?

IMG_9371.jpeg

I shot this Utah Bear two years ago, I wonder how many fawns he eat in his lifetime?

View attachment 118778

View attachment 118778
That’s a nice mature bear. What unit did he come off of? Hounds, baiting or spot and stalk?

Here's an interesting question... During a muzzleloader hunt, the proclamation says you can't carry a rifle, unless legally licensed for a rifle hunt that is running concurrently...

Does this new Mountain Lion law mean that you can basically carry a rifle during any hunt now, since we are all technically licensed to kill a cat if we see one?

Here's an interesting question... During a muzzleloader hunt, the proclamation says you can't carry a rifle, unless legally licensed for a rifle hunt that is running concurrently...

Does this new Mountain Lion law mean that you can basically carry a rifle during any hunt now, since we are all technically licensed to kill a cat if we see one?
I would say no. I take it if you are hunting muzzleloader or archery and see a lion you are legal to take it with the weapon you are hunting with.

Have not researched that, but that is my take.

My take would be you can carry whatever the heck you want. This is still a free country (mostly). However, if I was hunting with a muzzy tag I would not want a rifle anywhere near me to remove all doubt from any watchful eyes.

It is 100% legal to hunt cougars with any legal method if you posses the proper license.

It doesn’t matter what other hunts may be taking place. What are the restrictions on cougars now for method of take?

My thought was to have a rifle handy as I'll be spending a week in the Book Cliffs on my dad's Mizzy Elk hunt. I think I'll call the DWR office to make sure, but as far as I can tell, its legal. But I wouldn't want to jeopardize my dad's hunt in any way, shape or form...

Years past I always said I wished I had a permit, and look closer to a couple areas I always see sign. Now that im not required to have a permit, I havent made an effort

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom