Remington 700 CDL

Lhedrick1

Anyone have experience with these rifles? Sharp looking guns but everything I've read says the mechanical quality is not there. Accuracy sounds like hit or miss (no pun intended) and some guns needs work to shoot and some guns will shoot out of the box.

What say you?

Pretty much true with all the off the shelf 700's. Never know what you'll get. Now the 1994 and older ones would always shoot great for me. Some outfits offer an accurizing package on these guns, but there are better quality guns out there once you factor in the money to accurize.

Any new rifle that "needs" to be accurized is junk , complete waste of time and money. There's plenty of options for factory rifles that need nothing but optics and ammo to perform great.

You couldn't give me a new Remington anything, they've fallen off the face of the earth in regards to quality, accuracy and value. There's a reason for the hundreds of companies making a living accurizing Remingtons.

I haven't bought a new rifle in years....too many barely used 722's, 700's, 70's.....etc etc etc...out there for cheap...

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

I would never buy a Remington rifle again.. I bought a Remington 700 a couple years ago and was happy... at first. Rifle had great accuracy right out of the box and hunted for 2 deer seasons. Went out bear hunting after my 2nd deer season and it started raining on me I headed back to the truck and headed home, by the time I got home it was late and I had a heache so I left the gun in the case brought inside and went to bed. Woke up the next day to clean and put away and over night the barrel, the action, down inside the magazine and everywhere else was rusted and I don't mean a little rust it was everywhere... this completely turned me away from these rifles. I never had this problem with any other rifle I've had.. I did a quick google search and this is very common with these rifles.. so for me this completely turned me away from Remington.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-19 AT 08:05PM (MST)[p]all blued rifles can rust over night....if neglected like that...

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-19
>AT 08:05?PM (MST)

>
>all blued rifles can rust over
>night....if neglected like that...
>
>
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans
>-- when they're dead...

User error for sure. mtmuley

>>LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-19
>>AT 08:05?PM (MST)

>>
>>all blued rifles can rust over
>>night....if neglected like that...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>>GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans
>>-- when they're dead...
>
>
>User error for sure. mtmuley

Well my other 2 rifles have been in the rain and just put back in case and not dried and never had issue like this. So to me I'm not happy with something that rusts that easily in my opinion a rifle shouldn't rust That quick from
Normal circumstances just my opinion

>>>LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-19
>>>AT 08:05?PM (MST)

>>>
>>>all blued rifles can rust over
>>>night....if neglected like that...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>>>GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans
>>>-- when they're dead...
>>
>>
>>User error for sure. mtmuley
>
>Well my other 2 rifles have
>been in the rain and
>just put back in case
>and not dried and never
>had issue like this. So
>to me I'm not happy
>with something that rusts that
>easily in my opinion a
>rifle shouldn't rust That quick
>from
>Normal circumstances just my opinion

Wanna sell that rust bucket? What caliber?

Oh no!

"I neglected my rifle through committing the cardinal sin of leaving it overnight in a wet case"
....and it's the rifle's fault?

They don't rust if you get them out of the damn swampy case, shake off the water and prop them in the corner!

Q: What did hunters and riflemen do before stainless steel?

A: took care of their sh!t or didn't try to lay blame on someone else if they didn't.

(I guess selling it to me cheap is now out of the question, huh?)

Zeke

#livelikezac

>Oh no!
>
>"I neglected my rifle through committing
>the cardinal sin of leaving
>it overnight in a wet
>case"
>....and it's the rifle's fault?
>
>They don't rust if you get
>them out of the damn
>swampy case, shake off the
>water and prop them in
>the corner!
>
>Q: What did hunters and riflemen
>do before stainless steel?
>
>A: took care of their sh!t
>or didn't try to lay
>blame on someone else if
>they didn't.
>
>(I guess selling it to me
>cheap is now out of
>the question, huh?)
>
>Zeke
>
>#livelikezac

Well let's see Here I wasn?t out in a damn hurricane so it's not like the rifle was dripping wet. And I do take care of my ##### but how about you do a quick google search on Remington 700?s rusting and see that the newer ones are notorious for this. In my opinion a rifle shouldn't rust overnight from having a few rain drops not wiped off. Maybe my expectations are higher than yours bcuz I can tell you not all rifles rust that easy.

If your ok spending your money on a rifle that will rust this easy be my guest. I'm just trying to give feedback to the OP. Had I known they were so prone to rusting I would have bought a different rifle

And no it's not for sale to anyone. I plan on doing a cerakote finish on this rifle

>
>Well let's see Here I wasn?t
>out in a damn hurricane
>so it's not like the
>rifle was dripping wet. And
>I do take care of
>my ##### but how about
>you do a quick google
>search on Remington 700?s rusting
>and see that the newer
>ones are notorious for this.
>In my opinion a rifle
>shouldn't rust overnight from having
>a few rain drops not
>wiped off. Maybe my expectations
>are higher than yours bcuz
>I can tell you not
>all rifles rust that easy.
>
>
>If your ok spending your money
>on a rifle that will
>rust this easy be my
>guest. I'm just trying to
>give feedback to the OP.
>Had I known they were
>so prone to rusting I
>would have bought a different
>rifle
>
>And no it's not for sale
>to anyone. I plan on
>doing a cerakote finish on
>this rifle

That went about as well as expected....with my less-than-politically-correct post.
Cerekote should make it better for you.

OP, See mtmuley's post. It's my sentiments.

Zeke

#livelikezac

I think we went a bit off topic here lol.

Shooting at the Silver Dollar in Odessa Florida for the first time (trapshooting), I wiped down my gun as I always do and put it in the case for the night. Woke up the next day to get ready for the days events and low and behold finger prints of rust in certain areas. No rain, but evidently enough humidity in the air to cause some rust in areas i didnt wipe down good enough. Now, my beloved Perazzis are not known for having the greatest bluing in the world but they are arguably one of the best/most popular guns in the sport. Bottom line, even high end guns will rust overnight if the circumstances are right.

Thanks for everyone's input. Im a little gun shy dropping $1000 on a gun with fellow shooters singing the same tune with less than desirable experience with the rifle. Think I may do it right and go with a Mark V in .257 Weatherby.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-19 AT 05:25PM (MST)[p]That Mark V is an accuracy gamble. And the CDL is way better looking. Also, the AWR with the 5R barrel is showing promise. Good luck with the Weatherby. mtmuley

I'd go with the Remington CDL, more than likely you'll be very happy with it, if not there are tons of aftermarket accessories available for that model to make it better, and lots of upgrades gunsmith can do to make it better. I believe you'll have a hard time finding a gunsmith that wants to work on a Weatherby if you're not happy with it for some reason. Good luck

It hurts to say this as I have been a Remington fan all my life, however there are far too many reliable, great shooting rifles on the market to gamble on the "new " Remingtons.
Howa, Bergara and Tika are in the same price range. For far less one can purchase a Ruger American or Savage Axis II. Yep both feel cheep, but I have never seen one of these inexpensive rifles or any of the others I mentioned that won't do better than 1MOA.
Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence"
"I fear none and respect all"

remington got bought out around 2012 by a hedge fund and the squeezed all the money and quality out of it and left it for dead.

I've bought two model 700?s . A BDL in 7mmmag back on ?77 and a CDL in ?08 in .270 win for my son. Both are rock solid and subMOA. I wouldn't buy one now that is newer than 7 years old.
You can buy a boat load of high quality bolt rifles used off of gunbroker.com all day long.

>Anyone have experience with these rifles?
>Sharp looking guns but everything
>I've read says the mechanical
>quality is not there. Accuracy
>sounds like hit or miss
>(no pun intended) and some
>guns needs work to shoot
>and some guns will shoot
>out of the box.
>
>What say you?

I've bought several new cdl?s in the last few years and they all shoot great! You won't go wrong with one. I own 270, 270wsm,7mm and 25/06 in cdl?s and 22-250,204ruger in VLS. They all shoot great. You will love them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom