Remington 700 SPS Stainless 270 wsm

BowHuntr

Just purchased this rifle yesterday. Looking to see if anyone else has had experience with one in shooting factory loads with it. I have had a few guys say stick with federal ammo as it is the only brand that you can get the actual quoted velocities out of.

Just trying to get some ideas on what factory loads shoot relatively well out of this gun. Although I realize that every gun handles bullets differently.

Preciate at any advice.

Thanks

JD

Congrats! Sounds like a nice Rifle.

Mine is a Winchester mod 70. I found the following to be true in mine;

It really liked Rem Premier Accutip Ammo, 150 gr at 3150 FPS. With it, I got my first 1/2" group in so long, i can't remember the last time. Unfortunately, the accutip bullets, SST's i believe, have been discontinued for Remington's own bullets.

It did NOT like Winchester 130 gr. E-Tip ammo, at all, before and after the gun was cleaned extremely well. I got 2 to 2 1/2" groups, trying several things before giving up on this ammo.

Shooting Winchester 140 gr Accubonds, my gun shoots about an inch groups, not as good as the rifle is capable, but then again, i'm no master at the bench. I hunted this loading last year, killed a couple nice animals with it, and was impressed with the performance of the bullet in my animals taken.

I plan to work up hand loads with the 140 Nosler Accubonds.

Good luck with your new rifle in that cartridge, i love mine!!

Joey

Hey Joey,

Thanks for the info. I have heard and read a lot of great things about those 140g Accubonds. I'll have to give them a try.

Read through a lot of your older posts on here when I was debating between the 270 wsm and the 300 wsm. Some great, informative posts on the 270 wsm btw!

What scope did you put on your model 70?

Thanks,

JD

I've been loading 140gr Accubonds in my buddies Mod 700 SPS 270wsm for a coupe of years. Great results! 3 hits with 3 kills this year. Two Mulies and a cow elk. Prior to handloads, he was shooting winchester supremes (factory) with decent results. Kinda pricey though.

Thanks JD, nice of you to say!

I bought my rifle all set up, used as it still is, from the "shootist", my neighbor. He had worked on it, made it very accurate himself, and run close to a thousand rounds thru it before he made me a offer i couldn't refuse while i had the dough easy at hand. It came mounted with a 3X12 Burris Signature Series scope w/ Ballista-Plex cross-hairs. Nice scope for the money. Certainly, you can pay more but this is a very rugged and clear to look thru scope. I'm satisfied with it, in fact, i since bought another one just like it for another rifle that i have.

Thanks for the report!!

Joey

JD-

Thanks to Joey I went with the .270 WSM in my Nosler 48 too-he's kinda the MM ambassador for this great cartridge I think.Mine loves the 140 grain Accubonds too,I get 1/2-3/4" groups with them.I get 1" groups with 130 grain TSX'x and 150 grain Nosler Partitions. Federal carries all of these in their Premium line though I did notice the partitions were not available from Cabelas last time I looked.

Good Luck!

Clay

I have the same gun in the matte finish and found accurate shooting wasn't necessarily related to the type of ammunition. It was the darn stiff factory trigger in the rifle. I spent extra money and had a Timney trigger installed. Now, any ammo I shoot is normally very accurate. Something to consider.
Ed

Thanks for the info/advice from everyone.

Ed, I was planning on getting the trigger adjusted, but hadn't considered swapping it out. I guess I've never been huge into customizing. Something too consider though.

Thanks,

JD

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom