remington o/u spartan shotgun

cannonball

Very Active Member
I just gave my son my 101 Winchester O/U shotgun and I at the point in my life where I do not use a shotgun much, but want something. I am partial to a break open shotgun and someone told me for an inexpensive O/U the remington isn't a bad gun.

Is there anyone out there that has this gun and can tell me the plus'and minus'. Would appreciate any information I can get.

I too and looking for an inexpensive over/under shotgun. I also would be interested to hear about experiences any MMers have had. Thanks.

Dax

My hunting partner hunts tons of birds with any number of his Browning Citori Shotguns. He collects them as well as hunts them and being that he could afford to own or shoot most brands out there, i gotta believe that they are pretty darn good guns for the money.

Inexpensive? I know not!

That 101 you gave your son is no cheepie! I don't know how old he is or how much experience he has but lets just say that most kids are happy with a Rem Pump, Mossberg 500, or such. I'd love to own a 101!!

Joey

The Citori is a nice gun not cheap though. Check Cabelas gun library. I'm happy with my Remington pumps used them for years, they just work for me. I can't seem to leave them home. I think Ruger makes an o/u for about half the price of Citori.

The Browning and Winchester are great guns, but I don't want to spend that much. I just don't shoot enough to justify a Browning or such. Being left handed I thought of the Browning pump, but have liked the break action gun.

Isn't there anyone out there who has purchased the Remington?

CZ may be something your interested in. Rem O/U's are not that common because they are not that good IMO. CZ (Huglu) makes a damn nice shotgun for about 6-800 bucks.
http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/shotguns/

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

>CZ may be something your interested
>in. Rem O/U's are not
> that common because they
>are not that good.

Thank for the reponse and for $387.00 for the Rem a person is not going to get a $800.00 o/u I realize that, but I do not want to spend more money. I won't use it much, and loved my 101 Winchester, but my son has always loved it and will use it more than I. I am not going to spend more than $450.00. Being left handed, should I go the Remington or the browning pump that's my delema. Have you owned the Remington O/U or just saw it in the store. One report I read said for the money it was worth considering for a inexpensive O/U.

I've never owned one, but I'm pretty sure your only gonna get 387 bucks worth of gun. I would rather by something of bettter quality that is used than something that is made as cheaply as possible. I guess it boils down to how much you really are gonna use it and wheather it will last, I would rather have a plain old 870 rem pump that will be reliable and last versus the cheapest made double barrel I can find...JMO Good luck.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Another option is the Stoeger Condor. You can get it for about the same price. Had one in 16 gauge, loved it but traded it for a 97 16 gauge.

>Another option is the Stoeger Condor.
>You can get it for
>about the same price. Had
>one in 16 gauge, loved
>it but traded it for
>a 97 16 gauge.

The supreme looks like a good gun and for $499 I'm going to look at it. Thanks

To me, the shotgun is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, guns out there that you really want to see how good it fits in your hands and how well you can shoot, before buying. I've bought several that looked great, one in particular with a custom stock, but they just not only didn't feel right during initial runs, they shot far worse for me than what i had before, been using.

I suppose that there are industry standards out there that will fit the normal person but, IMO, there's nothing more important in a clay and upland hunting gun than good fit & feel for comfortable consistent shooting.

I'd very much recommend you shoot a couple rounds of trap or get in on a good active dove, duck, pheasant or quail, hunt if you can, while using a friends or otherwise, like shotgun before you buy any that you've had no experience with. This could be hard to do i realize when looking to buy a newer model gun but if you can, by all means, please do so.

Good luck!!
Joey

My friend bought the Mossberg overunder and he was pleased. He does'nt hunt much but has put 1000 of rounds through it trap and skeet shooting with not a problem and very good scores.

I guess I didn't say it right.

Go ahead and buy one, if you don't mind a POS made in Russia.

Plus 10 on the Mossberg or the Savage......Research gunsamerica.com.

The Stoeger Condor is a cheap o/u. That being said it's fit and finish is head and shoulders above the Remington(Baikal).

You guys have me about talked out of an inexpensive O/U. I have never been a mossberg fan and what I understand about their cheap O/U gun is the metal is soft and firing pins break.

How does the MM members feel about the Browning Pump. Remember I am left handed. Any other suggestions less than $500.

I currently have the remington spartan spr310 nickel and the spr94 223 12 guage combo and love them both i also have been shooting a ruger red label target grey the ruger set me back a grand and the spr310n was 400 bucks i prefer the spartan over the ruger and have bought a spr310 in 20 guage for my son for x mas fyi most big 5 sporting goods stors stock both 12 and 20 guage spr310 shotguns although ive chose not to buy from any big 5 stores due to their lack of support to youth hunts here in utah just my opinion!!!!

I have a bakial O/U in 12ga which is the same gun, I got mine before Remington purchased them. Now I do not have a lot of expierence with O/U's but the gun has done every thing I have asked it to do. I have put about 2000 rounds through the gun with no problems at all. Three buddies of mine also bought them when I did and as far as I know they have not had any issues with the guns. The wood to metal finish isn't the best but it's not bad. The gun is not big and bulky like some other budget O/U's that I have handled. I know that once Remington put their name on the gun the price went up about $100, but for the money I don't think you can go wrong.

I won one about 5 years ago, i wasnt crazy about it cause i didnt know how it'd perform. So i took it out duck hunting one day and i have to say i have never been that accurate with a shotgun before. I can still remember the scotch double i got on teal with it, its a great gun go ahead and get it.

If you want an O/U, do yourself a favor and spend the money and get a good one. You don't have to break the bank but you might spend a little more then what you planned on. The Beretta Onyx 686 is a great gun for around $1500.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom