Remington Rifles

NiceRack

Anyone else having problems with Remington?
I bought a new 783 in .223 a few months ago and had to immediately send it back for repair. The firing pin was not traveling deep enough to fire every round.
And now just yesterday received (after ordering the rifle in May the 700AWR in .338RUM and sent it back to Remington today for repair. The "adjustable trigger" would not adjust.
I own 4 Remington shotguns and 4 Remington rifles all of which have given completely reliable service.
What has happened to Remington or am I just an unlucky customer?
PB

I've had recent problems and my buddy has had recent problems as well. We've both been Remington loyals. At this point I won't buy another Remington. Last year I decided to try a Christensen Arms Mesa and so far I love it. I've also owned a couple of Savages and they've been my most reliable guns. I've pretty much had it with Remington.

Remington QC sure seems to be slacking lately. They still are a great rifle and definitely a great choice.
Regarding your ?adjustable trigger? I would?ve thrown that Xmark junk in the drawer and replaced it with an old style trigger or a trigger tech and kept on rolling.

>Remington QC sure seems to be
>slacking lately. They still are
>a great rifle and definitely
>a great choice.
>Regarding your ?adjustable trigger? I would?ve
>thrown that Xmark junk in
>the drawer and replaced it
>with an old style trigger
>or a trigger tech and
>kept on rolling.

That was my first thought.....just buy a timney trigger. But WTF I just bought the rifle and it should work as advertised don't you think.
PB

>The 783 was your fault. I
>wouldn't have sent the AWR
>back for a trigger issue
>either. mtmuley

Explain how purchasing a 783 rifle with a firing pin issue is "my fault"? Or are you just be sarcastic? And, having just spent over a grand on the AWR I can't justify yet spending another $150 on a new trigger until I give Remington the opportunity to make repairs. Again I just picked up the rifle the day before yesterday and sent it back today.
PB

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-18 AT 06:56PM (MST)[p]>>Remington QC sure seems to be
>>slacking lately. They still are
>>a great rifle and definitely
>>a great choice.
>>Regarding your ?adjustable trigger? I would?ve
>>thrown that Xmark junk in
>>the drawer and replaced it
>>with an old style trigger
>>or a trigger tech and
>>kept on rolling.
>
>That was my first thought.....just buy
>a timney trigger. But WTF
>I just bought the rifle
>and it should work as
>advertised don't you think.
>PB

It should work as advertised. I agree. The problem is the Xmark adjustable isn't very adjustable anyway and are known to break at the adjustment screw. I'm not a timney fan but they way better than factory.

Sorry, the 783 is one of the worst rifles Remington ever built. As for the AWR, less hassle just replacing the trigger. The ones with 5r barrels have proven to be shooters. mtmuley

If I buy a 700, I know that I'll need to figure in some extra money on a replacement trigger right away. The X mark is pretty rough.

The more I think about it......you're probably right. Would have been less hassle to order a new trigger. The 783 I bought is in .223, immediately replaced the scope with a vortex. It's my coyote gun that rides racked on my side by side, shoots like a dream, i like it.
PB

I like that AWR. Thought about one in .300 RUM. I have a BDL SS .300 RUM that I've had for 18 years. Great cartridge. mtmuley

I would have never bought the 783!! That rifle is a known piece of crap!! For your coyote gun you should have went with the Ruger
American or Savage Axis. They are about the same price, way better quality & solid shooters!

>I would have never bought the
>783!! That rifle is a
>known piece of crap!! For
>your coyote gun you should
>have went with the Ruger
>
>American or Savage Axis. They are
>about the same price, way
>better quality & solid shooters!
>

As I stated above, my 783 shoots like a dream. I don't consider it a piece of crap.
PB

Love Remington rifles and 870's but not anything they have put out the past few years. Their quality control is not what it used to be.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Remington's quality was acceptable at best even in their hay day. now it's sub Chinese level.

They didn't go broke because they were so great let's face it.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Remington hasn't put out a quality product since the late 90's. Their customer service is even worse.

Most are junk now I believe. Ruger will probably stop making the M77 soon and all you can get from them is the $300 Ruger American. Remington will probably stop making the model 700 in a few years and all you will be able to get is the 783. That's why I go custom with any new rifles. Cooper and Sako are still good production rifles.

There's a whole lot better rifles out there today for the same money. Remington had a reputation for decades but has since allowed itself to faulter. Cheap plastic parts, poor QC, poor fit and finish, poor machining, soft steel, and so on. Resale is terrible. This holds true for their shotguns too. The trigger assembly is mostly plastic and feel like cheap Chinese junk. I have several remmies though but all from the early 90's to the 60's. Sad what has become of the once iconic arms manufacturers.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I don't know where all this trash talk about Remington comes from! I've got several newer Remington 700 cdl?s from 243 up to 7mm and all are great guns! I have a 270 that shoots 1/2inch moa at 100yards! Remington still makes great guns !

Sure, you can still get a great shooting rifle or shotgun from them.
The reason so many folks are not happy with them is simple, it's quality control or in this case poor quality control.
The problem with the "new" Remington firearms is the quality is hit or miss. We see more customers with complaints about Rems than any other big name manufacturer. I don't say this because I don't like Remington. Their older firearms are some of my favorite possessions and I would love to be able too say that about their new firearms as well.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

So the latest crap from Remington is......
I sent my rifle back the day after I bought it for the trigger replacement. The Remington customer service agent tells me "ship it back to us and we will have it back to you in a few days". Three days after the the rifle get back to Remington I call to see if it will ship out soon. The response from the next customer service agent tells me it will take anywhere from three to eight weeks to get the rifle back". Now I'm boiling! I tell the agent It's a 15 minute job to replace the trigger and after all the crap I have been through with you now I have to wait three to eight weeks? I then tell them cancel the repair and send my rifle back to me NOW! It takes them three days to prepare to ship it and nine days to get back to me.
This I can say without hesitation.....NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A REMINGTON PRODUCT!
PB

Thanks for the offer but I don't want to sell the rifle, hell....I haven't even put a round through it yet. I bought a new Timney Trigger 2-4# adjustment, A new Vortex Viper 4-16 HR/LR, mounts and rings, bedding kit, 3 Boxes of Barnes 250gr , 3 Boxes Nosler Accubond 225gr. and I already lapped the rings the day I got the rifle. It's the company I am disappointed with. Bad customer service is the issue. I think the rifle itself should be just fine. I have until November 30th to get the rifle put together and broken in before I use it for my Arizona Elk hunt. And if it's not ready I will use my 270 Weatherby Mag, I just got my Idaho bull with it 3 days ago.
PB

Well, here it is back from the factory with a new Timney trigger and range ready for tomorrow.
15817145ovprxrauswhncuzdhva.jpg

Just got back from my Arizona 5A Elk hunt. I passed on a couple of small bulls but decided on the fifth evening hunt to try for this bull. I saw him from 1.5 miles away and was able to stalk him to 270 yards. The new Remington 338RUM with a new Timney Trigger, Vortex Viper HSLR scope fitted with a custom Kenton Industries turret and Barnes 250gr LR ammo did the job. Heart shot dropped him like a sack of potatoes.
87456izqqntybt7y569sqczz1ma.jpg

PB

Bought my first Remington in 1979, 7mm express(280) and in 1992 bought a Remington mountain rifle .280. Never had an issue with either. The mountain rifle shoots less than an inch.

the rifle stamped 7mm express is slightly collectable.....keep it

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

Took the 338RUM back to the gunsmith for a little more improvement. It's getting a muzzle break and glass bedding job. I will start hand loading this winter.
PB

Took the rifle back to the gunsmith for the final work. After finding a hand load that is best I had the smith ream the chamber to .015 jump from ogive to lands. This was done for two reasons. One, I maintained the COAL of 3.60 to fit the magazine. Two, cleaned up the sloppy freeborn gap. Ordered a new Kenton Ind. custom elevation and windage turret for the load. I think I have done about as much as I can to this off the shelf rifle. Now to test long range out to 1000 yards.
PB

U.S. mass produced guns nowadays are getting as bad as soviet arms of WWII all stamped and no machined parts made with pride..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom