Resdient DIY hunts?

muleyczy

Just out of curiosity on a level of difficulty how hard is it for Alaska Residents to accomplish DIY hunts for Mountain Goat, Dall Sheep, Caribou, Moose and Bear? I realize that obtaining tags is an issue in of itself so besides that, once the tag is obtained, the level or degree of difficulty for each species just to plan and accomplish the hunt?

Out West, a DIY hunt for many species is very obtainable, everything is within driving distance and we typically have a large population people with informtion to draw from and help.

I was hoping to get some insight from an Alaska Resident or former residnet.

Thanks for the information,
Muleyczy

Muley, as a resident, hold on to your shorts, I get most of my harvest tickets for free. As residents, we get harvest tickets for most of our game. Alaska has tags for Grizzly and Muskox, but these are also the only ones we pay for, Grizzly ($25) & Muskox ($500), and currently, there are areas where I don't pay for the Griz tag. We do have to pay for the license
though. If I want a tag through the draw, then that's a different story. Most draw tags are exceptionally hard to get, 1-5% chance (or less), and the easy draws generally have access issues that cost an arm & leg. All of our species can be hunted from the road system, either walking in, using an ATV or some other type vehicle. They can be taken with either the above harvest ticket, or a registration permit. This just means you have to go to an applicable Fish & Game office to "registir" for your permit. Keep in mind, where you can easily access animals from the road, then so can many others. Just like in the lower 48, we have folks that love to ride their ATV's, trucks, or other vehicles, up and down the trails/roads, hoping that the animal will just pop out in front of them. Sometimes it does happen that way.

Just because we can access the game from the road, doesn't mean it's the best way to hunt them. If you can't afford other means to access game, then you most likely have no choice but to hunt off the road system. Some folks just choose not to spend money on fly outs and prefer to hunt close by. There is nothing wrong with that, and in many cases these folks get their game by outsmarting many, many other hunters as well as their intended animal.

Sheep & Goats are generally our hardest species to hunt because of the terrain they live in. I know folks who hunt off the road system, but ATV in 30-40 miles, then walk another 20+ miles to get to their hunt areas.

When residents plan their hunts, we have to take in consideration, how many people do we want to deal with. I'll use myself as an example. I don't mind hunting off the road system, but I find I'll have much better luck (greater success)on a flyout or boat trip. I get away from most people, though not all. For me, its worth the cost to get away from people and see the Alaska we live here for, if that makes sense. Like the lower 48, most hunters up here are DIY folks. Most of us don't make enough to afford guided hunts all the time, and if you do, it's much more fun to plan and harvest your game without a guide anyway.

There are a lot of friendly people up here, willing to help out to an extent. Most folks will not tell you where to go specifically, as most have been burned before by taking folks into a spot, only to find out that person is taking other friends into the same spot. Contrary to what the television shows portray, we do not have animals behind every tree. Most of us work hard to find productive areas and generally protect those areas. If folks are willing to do their homework and not expect things on a silver platter, most anyone can find a decent place to hunt from the road or otherwise.

But, most of our species is obtainable from the road, though you'll see the success rate isn't high, and does require much more effort than the lower 48. Oh, and don't forget the now much higher prices for gas, $3.52 today in Anchorage, much higher the further away from Town you get.

I hope this answers your questions.

Take care,
Garion33

Gentleman,
Thanks for the replies and information. Fullcryhounds, I read your posting and found it to be very informative, thanks. It seemed to me that it was geared more towards either Moose and/or Caribou.

For example, its been my experience that people back East find it amazing and cool that in the west can obtain Elk and Mule deer, antelope tags often due to proxcimity and vise versa we find it cool that hunting whitetails is the norm, where we have to spend the $$ for a guided hunt becasue we dont have property or know someone who does.

There is a chance that my wife and I may move to Alaska sometime in 2012 (may or June) and I was weighing my chances and odds of being able to take as many species as Alaska offers given our time frame of being in Alaska. To me its absoulutly amazing that a grizz tag is $25.00 where in the lower 48 I may or may not ever get one due to non-res costs. Alaska's regualtions need to be translated by a lawyer and put into english to understand. very confusing!

Thanks again

Again, thanks for the insight, makes me want to move right now!!

Also keep in mind that it's one full calendar year, not just 12 months. I'm pretty sure the resident hunting is the same as qualifying for dividends and that's the rule. So if you move in Feb it wouldn't be until your third fall there that you'd be a resident.

So If you move in May/June then wouldnt you miss the upcoming season as a resident (Aug/Sept) then be able to hunt the following season?

Guys, you have to physically live in the state of AK for a full 12 months before you are able to hunt as a resident. If you move here in May/June of 2011, you will miss the fall season of 2011 as a resident. Feel free to hunt as a nonresident. Come May/June of 2012, you will be a legal resident and can purchase the resident license and tags/harvest tickets for whatever species are open. Here is the blurb from the AK Dept of F&G that defines residency as well as a link to more info:

Resident:
Alaska Resident per AS 16.05.415(a): "resident" means a person (including an alien) who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely and make a home here, has maintained that person's domicile in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license, and is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country; a member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has been stationed in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license; or a dependent of a resident member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has lived in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license. A person who does not otherwise qualify as a resident may not qualify by virtue of an interest in an Alaska business.

Per AS 16.05.415(b): A person who establishes residency in the state in accordance with the residency provision above remains a resident during an absence from the state unless during the absence the person (1) establishes or claims residency in another state, territory, or country; or (2) performs an act, or is absent under circumstances, that are inconsistent with the intent required under the residency provision above.

For further information, see the Residency Info Sheet at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/license/pdfs/residency_infosheet.pdf

There are some key items that the Troopers will look at if you get checked. The Judge will look at the same if you happen to get taken to court for a violation, so make sure the true intent is there to make AK your home indefinitely. The Troopers and courts are no joke in regards to violations.

I hope this helps.

Garion33

howdy garion. is mooses and bear tooth places still open up there? when i lived there 2000-2005 i hung out in those places a lot ! mooses tooth for pizza. bear tooth for micro's i liked snow goose micro's too !

Beavis, all are still open. I haven't been to the Bear Tooth in quite a while, but I did eat at the Moose's Tooth recently. Since I was driving, I had to be content with a pizza and coke. It was still good! Snow Goose is just an all around good eating & drinking establishment.

Take Care,
Garion

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom