Residents Draw

pymulies

Resident draw date is set for May 8th for Moose, Buff, Mt.Goat and Sheep. Hoping for a buff tag but not holding my breath.

I know this isn't news for some. I'm just tired of waiting for draw results already and its only been 6 days.
py

I hear ya... I'm ready to know too. I'm always jealous that the non-residents know about their elk long before we do. I sure wish Wyoming would have its draws a lot earlier. But it's like when I was a kid waiting to open Christmas presents. The anticipation builds and builds! : ) Hope you pull a low # for your buff tag.

It will be interesting to see how many Bull Buff tags are given out this year with the new legislation saying for the added harvest of more bulls to bring the herd down from 900 to 500. . Im hoping that their are some more given out, but nonetheless i will take any number...from 1-50 preferably. haha

Wybighorn and I were talking the other morning about non-residents knowing their results, practically before we can even put in. It was the same discussion we had last year. We don't know why it needs to take so long. All they have to do is push a button to get the results. But, like Wybighorn said, "It's like Christmas in Spring time". I think it would be a good idea to have a waiting period of 3 to 5 years for deer and elk draw areas. A person could still hunt general hunt areas, while he is waiting to be able to put in for draws again. It would give more people an opportunity to enjoy a higher quality hunt. It just seems like some people always stand in the lucky line.

Idaho is somewhat that way, I grew up there and continue to have a lifetime hunting license there. . If you successfully draw a tag either elk, deer, antelope...you cannot put in for a draw tag of that species during the following year. . Now in wyoming i wouldnt have a problem because I live in one of the heavily general surrounded areas, but you look at lots of the other regions of the state, and their are areas where if that was the case its not nearly as easy for somebody to just hunt a general tag for a year or two. I just highly doubt something along those lines would make it far due to that reason. I truly enjoy the Wyoming system without preference points just as much as i did in Idaho. . Granted i was able to draw a sheep tag in Idaho thanks to random luck, thats not gonna happen here haha

I am also looking for one of those 1-50 numbers! I kinda doubt that they will release too many more bull tags, but I have a feeling that the cow tags are really going to jump. After getting to go on a couple hunts for them, it really made me want to shoot one of those wooly old bulls.

I truly feel that the reason the G&F takes so long, is so that they can make a couple months worth of interest off of the application money. I could be wrong though.

If I do draw a buff tag, I probably won't put in for a limited elk unit. Just go with general on elk and deer both. That way I don't feel rushed in either of those with buff tag in my pocket.

A few years ago, my fiance's uncle drew a moose and bighorn tag in the same year. The bighorn would finish off his slam of NA Sheep. I told him he was the most unlucky lucky guy i knew! He was so stressed at first but made the most of both tags and now has all four sheep and one moose!

py

pymulies,

The G&F can not, by law, draw interest on permit fees. I dont know if its legal in any state.

Also, residents usually benefit from drawing after the NR's. If there are any additional seasons added...ALL those permits go to residents (the NR draw is already over). Plus, any increases in permit numbers in LQ areas all go to Resident hunters as well.

The "down" side to that is if the G&F cuts back elk tags in LQ areas, NR's receive more than the 16% quota of tags they're assured by statuate.

I'd say that the Residents typically get the better end of the stick by waiting a few months...I'm not complaining.

Thanks BUZZ I actually didn't know that.

I hear you on the NR tag numbers! I'm not complaining, well not too much anyways, I just want it over with so I can get to hunting!

py

Actually,according to John Emmerich(asst director),G&F CAN and DOES draw interset off of those funds.Those words came directly from his mouth a few months ago at a local meeting I attended.

So unless he himself doesn't know(which is very possible),that could be a reason they hold those funds.Which is right?Can you provide clarification,BUZZ?

I'm so confused.

nontypical...you could be right, I may be dead wrong.

Here is something I found from 1997...I have no idea if things have changed since? I thought I found something more recent that said they cant draw interest.

Its pretty clear it must be legal, or at least was in 1997 and prior to that.

The "Pooled Interest" category includes interest generated from license fees, which are deposited until processing and the draws have occurred. We estimate that license fees earned at least $298,000 in interest during the 1997 license issuance process. These interest earnings range from one cent for some resident applications, to $8.65 for individual, nonresident bighorn sheep or mountain goat applications.

Included in the "Other" category are nonresident application fees. W.S. 23-2-101 (e) provides for a $10 application fee beginning on January 1, 1997. This nonrefundable application fee generated $804,700 in FY 97. Statute does not require residents to pay an application fee.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/progeval/reports/1997/license/license.htm

Well in today's interest rate climate they aren't earning much. Even at these size dollars, they wouldn't earn more than half a percent or so if held for a year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom