resizing .300RUM brass for 7MMRUM?

lip_curl

is this just as simple as running the brass through my RCBS 7RUM full length die? or is there a trick to it?
thanks

Should work, though forming dies are better.

I'd run one through and then measure the OAL and neck thickness.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-10 AT 10:12PM (MST)[p]Yes, I looked and Redding makes a trim die, part # 83923.

You probably can get by without it, forming dies are just a little nicer to the brass. all you're doing is necking down so this is a pretty simple one.

If you're not familiar with this kind of thing be real careful when you start forming brass especially if you have a 300 RUM around, most of the time you'll notice something is wrong before you chamber a necked down round but if somebody just looks at the headstamp and runs with it you can have a mess. in this case you probably would just have a funny boom and miss the target but it's best to avoid it anyway.

thanks. yeah, i thought about that, the RUMS have a good deal of free bore. ive got both a .300 and a 7 in the safe, i could probably close the bolt with a 7mm in a .308 pipe and be ok. dont know if the bolt would close w a .308 in a 7mm pipe, but thats probably a mistake i dont want to make.

Yes the 300 wouldn't chamber in the 7mm but the other way around for sure.

I used to take all my dad's 30-06 brass and neck it down to 25-06, more than once he grabbed one of my shells and shot it in his gun. it always made him praise my ingenuity.

I'd just take a 300 and lube it up good and FL size it hard clear down hard on the shellholder. see what you get and then measure it. chances are it will work fine with a triming.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but why not just buy 7RUM brass and avoid the headache? I know sometimes it's hard to come by but it can be found. Then there's no worry about chambering the wrong round in either rifle. Just my $.02.

ive got a virgin sendero in the safe and havent been able to find brass at midway,natchez,cabelas,sportsmans, or the local shows for 4 months...if you can find me some, ill buy it right this minute...

You can go from 300 to 280 in one shot with the resize die. Use a good lube like Imperial sizing die wax which is now owned by Hornady. The benefit of doing this is you can turn the necks to have truer cases and get thicker neck walls. Trim to length and you are good to go. I do recommend annealing the cases after necking down. It will make the brass last a lot longer without getting split necks from getting work hardened.

The downside to this is the incorrect headstamp.

thanks reddog!!!...just placed the order,
...now if you can point me toward some 200gr accubonds in .308, this really will be my lucky day...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-10 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]Cant help you on the accubonds.

And FWIW, you wouldn't run into any snags running 300 rum thru the 7 rum die. Many, including myself on some rifles, neck virgin brass up only to take it back down..I do this with most of my virgin belted brass..Doing so I can create a false shoulder to headspace off of instead of the belt.

Gunstop Reloading Supplies has a ton of stuff. Last year when Federal 215M primers were no where to be found I could go in there and get them when ever I wanted them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom