"Ressesion is just in your head!!"

B

BowHuntWithaRifle

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-08 AT 09:55AM (MST)[p]Bull shiznit! Tell that to all the forclosures, truck sales, and unemployment. Hell, even TOYOTA has had to stop making the Tundra due to low sales for three months this next year. But, there workers will not loose there jobs and will be paid. They even have a $4500 rebate on the Tundra. Never have I ever seen or heard of something like that! Ford and Dodge are giving there trucks away. A guy went down to trade in his 2005 F150 for a 5.7ltr Tundra, he paid $29K for the ford new in 05, got $7K from the Dealership on trade for a new Tundra. It is smart he is going to the Tundra, but 29K-7K in just three years! Still, how in the hell can someone say we are not heading down hill! Thank God Bush at least lifted the ban on off shore drilling... kindof helped. For now anyway, oil price went down.. somewhat. Oh, and has anyone seen the prices on horses lately? TANKED! However, the tractor companies are reeling in the money due to CORN! Chime in on this topic. I would like to hear your opinion on the matter.

4888a54d48addbfb.jpg

"I shoot at wolves, I don't dance with them." :)
Stands With A Fist

I had to laugh when I read a recent editorial in the opening comments section of a well known hunting magazing in which the editor called the recession media generated...... He is obviously out of touch with reality...... Our manufacturing jobs going to China are not media generated...... Our sub prime loan fiasco is not media generated..... and I don't know what to think about the fuel costs and who is gouging who but I don't think it's the media..... All three of these things are coming together at the same time and creating the havoc in our economy..... Terry

Its all about getting their boy nominated. The worse they can make it the better it is for Husien Obama. Sure we got problems but this is cyclical and bound to happen. No one can eat for 5 straight years without taking a dump, and the economy is no different.

"dude, nothing we can say will make us like as childish/silly as the rants you post. We HAVE posted the parts, you chose to ignore them. We get it, you like soldiers that sell out their fellow soldiers for political gain, and you hate or hold in contempt those that take a stand. We get that you manage to see NOTHING but bad in Republicans, and nothing put pure and honorable intentions from fellow limp wristed libs. We got it already, now move on."
(PRO July 3, 2008)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-08 AT 01:29PM (MST)[p]>Its all about getting their boy
>nominated. The worse they can
>make it the better it
>is for Husien Obama. Sure
>we got problems but this
>is cyclical and bound to
>happen. No one can eat
>for 5 straight years without
>taking a dump, and the
>economy is no different.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>"dude, nothing we can say will
>make us like as childish/silly
>as the rants you post.
>We HAVE posted the parts,
>you chose to ignore them.
>We get it, you like
>soldiers that sell out their
>fellow soldiers for political gain,
>and you hate or hold
>in contempt those that take
>a stand. We get that
>you manage to see NOTHING
>but bad in Republicans, and
>nothing put pure and honorable
>intentions from fellow limp wristed
>libs. We got it already,
>now move on."
>(PRO July 3, 2008)

So this silly war has nothing to do with it? Gas prices have nothing to do with it? Continual bad decisions have nothing to do with it? The defecit? Just a cycle huh??? It now makes perfect sense comparing it to the digestive system.

My company is doing great. Mortgage interest rates are below 7%, which is still good. Granted, you have to have a job and some credit worthiness, but that is as it should be. Foreclosures? What, on people who spent too much on their homes and/or took out adjustable rate mortgages? My home hasn't been foreclosed on. Jobs going overseas? How long has that been going on?

I'm not an economist so I'm not going to say whether we are or are not in a "recession." That is a specific term defined by economists. If you want to say people are feeling some financial pinches, OK, sure. Gas and food prices are high. On the other hand, it is a bit foolish to say the sky is falling. Unemployment is relatively low.

One thing I would say. Economy in good condition; economy in bad condition; if you are working in the manufacturing sector in the US you are riding a downward trend that ain't never goinna change. This has been going on since 1980, at least, if not before. The writing is on the wall. Get off that train ASAP. Expect to see continued losses of manufacturing jobs. Expect to see continued declines in real wages and benefits in manufacturing jobs. It isn't a republican administration or a democrat administration sort of thing.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-08 AT 04:23PM (MST)[p]If the tax payers would stop bailing you out you'd have a much different opinion of the economy, like we're in a depression probably.

When you say we're losing manufacturing jobs you're right, and that means we're losing our economy. tourism and recreation are not what built this nation, raw materials and industry did. you can't survive on fun and borrowed money forever.

Warren Buffet says we've been in a recession for a while and it's going to get worse, maybe much worse before it gets better. I think I'll take his word for it, he's probably more up to speed than we are.

I agree whole heartedly Dude. The government bail outs are a false sense of security. It's going to make it worse if we don't learn a lesson. And we can't learn a lesson if we keep getting bailed out.

Manufacturing is the backbone of our economy, in my opinion. We can't build an economy on some retailer selling MP3 players and video games made in China or Japan to people using their credit card and making the minimum payment every month.

Eel

This kind of reminds me of the early to mid 70s in a way. With the gas shortage and the rising insurance rates, you couldn't give those gas guzzling muscle cars away. Now look at how valuable they are!

Find the biggest, heaviest, most fuel inefficient truck out there and buy it for next to nothing and put it away for about 30 years. They'll be running them over the Barret-Jackson auction block some day!:)

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-08 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]"Jobs going overseas? How long has that been going on?"

It has been happening for quite some time, I'll admit, but not at the rate we are currently experiencing. I have been in manufacturing for over 30 years and had to leave the industry I had built my carreer on 3 years ago when 80% of the shops in this country went under in a 3 year period. The industry I went into is holding it's own but I'm wondering for how long? I've seen us losing jobs and quotes to China and Mexico at an increasing rate causing layoffs and restructuring to the tune of 33% of our workforce. Manufacturing jobs were the backbone of America. When we are looking around wondering what happened to all our national manufacturing capabilities and our dependency on foriegners extends beyond fuel I can only wonder what the future holds........Terry

A Modest Proposal for Ending Socialized Capitalism
by Robert Reich

Socialized capitalism of the sort the Fed and the Treasury are now practicing, consisting of private gains and public losses, is untenable. On the other hand, it's also true that giant Wall Street investments banks as well as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are too big to fail. How to reconcile these conflicting principles?

Here's a modest proposal: When taxpayers insure a giant entity against loss -- as we now are with Freddie, Fannie, and Wall Street investment banks -- those entities must agree that:

(1) for the duration of the bailout, their top executives cannot receive total annual compensation higher than that received by the President of the United States, and

(2) the government gets five percent of their current valuation as shares of stock (roughly representing the benefit to their shareholders of the federal insurance) -- so that if and when the entities become profitable again, taxpayers are compensated for the risk they've taken on.

Many are also starving to death. Scroll down to the horrid photo evidence if you dare.

A generation ago, the livelihood of Gloria Nunez's family was built on cars.

Her father worked at General Motors for 45 years before retiring. Her mother taught driver's education. Nunez and her six siblings grew up middle class.

Things have changed considerably for this Ohio family.

Nunez's van broke down last fall. Now, her 19-year-old daughter has no reliable transportation out of their subsidized housing complex in Fostoria, 40 miles south of Toledo, to look for a job.

Nunez and most of her siblings and their spouses are unemployed and rely on government assistance and food stamps. Some have part-time jobs, but working is made more difficult with no car or public transportation.

Low-income families in Ohio say they are particularly hard-hit by the changes in the economy, according to a new poll conducted by NPR, The Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard School of Public Health. Two-thirds of lower-income respondents, or 66 percent, say paying for gas is a serious problem because of recent changes in the economy. Nearly half of low-income Ohioans, or 47 percent, say that getting a well-paying job or a raise in pay is also major problem.

'I Just Can't Get A Job'

Nunez, 40, has never worked and has no high school degree. She says a car accident 17 years ago left her depressed and disabled, incapable of getting a job. Instead, she and her daughter, Angelica Hernandez, survive on a $637 Social Security check and $102 in food stamps.

Hernandez received her high school diploma and has had several jobs in recent years. But now, because fewer restaurants and stores are hiring, she says she finds it hard to find a job. Even if she could, she says it's particularly hard to imagine how she'll keep it. She says she needs someone to give her a lift just to get to an interview. And with gas prices so high, she's not sure she could afford to pay someone to drive her to work every day.

People tell Nunez her daughter could get more money in public assistance if she had a child.

"A lot of people have told me, 'Why don't your daughter have a kid?'"

They both reject that as a plan.

"I'm trying to get a job," Hernandez says. "I just can't get a job."

Hernandez says she's trying to get training to be a nurse's assistant, but without her own set of wheels or enough money to pay others for gas, it hasn't been easy.

'What's Going To Happen To Us?'

Most of their extended family lives in the same townhouse complex. The only employer within walking distance is a ThyssenKrupp factory that makes diesel engine parts. That facility, which employs 400 people, is shutting down and moving to Illinois next year.

The only one with a car is Irma Hernandez, Nunez's mother. Hernandez says that with a teenage son still at home, the cost of feeding him and sending him to school is rising, and she can no longer pay for the car.

She's now two car payments behind.

"I'm about to lose my car," she says on her way to pick up one of her daughters to take her to Toledo. "So then what's going to happen to us?"

So Nunez and her daughter are mostly stuck at home.

The rising cost of food means their money gets them about a third fewer bags of groceries ? $100 used to buy about 12 bags of groceries, but now it's more like seven or eight. So they cut back on expensive items like meat, and they don't buy extras like ice cream anymore. Instead, they eat a lot of starches like potatoes and noodles.

4889f85840583eeb.jpg

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92592545

>A Modest Proposal for Ending Socialized
>Capitalism
>by Robert Reich
>
>Socialized capitalism of the sort the
>Fed and the Treasury are
>now practicing, consisting of private
>gains and public losses, is
>untenable. On the other hand,
>it's also true that giant
>Wall Street investments banks as
>well as Fannie Mae and
>Freddie Mac are too big
>to fail. How to reconcile
>these conflicting principles?
>
>Here's a modest proposal: When taxpayers
>insure a giant entity against
>loss -- as we now
>are with Freddie, Fannie, and
>Wall Street investment banks --
>those entities must agree that:
>
>
>(1) for the duration of the
>bailout, their top executives cannot
>receive total annual compensation higher
>than that received by the
>President of the United States,
>and
>
>(2) the government gets five percent
>of their current valuation as
>shares of stock (roughly representing
>the benefit to their shareholders
>of the federal insurance) --
>so that if and when
>the entities become profitable again,
>taxpayers are compensated for the
>risk they've taken on.
>
>

Sounds fair to me!

"dude, nothing we can say will make us like as childish/silly as the rants you post. We HAVE posted the parts, you chose to ignore them. We get it, you like soldiers that sell out their fellow soldiers for political gain, and you hate or hold in contempt those that take a stand. We get that you manage to see NOTHING but bad in Republicans, and nothing put pure and honorable intentions from fellow limp wristed libs. We got it already, now move on."
(PRO July 3, 2008)

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-08
>AT 08:55 AM (MST)

>
>"Jobs going overseas? How long has
>that been going on?"

This has been happening for as long as we have been alive.

I have been in manufacturing for over 25 years. I can honestly say I have never seen it so good.

Some shops have lost work to China and Mexico. But it is the low cost work that goes to these countries. The shops that I have seen closed were poorly run and could not compete.

We have gone head to head with both China and Mexico and beat them. I ship over 500,000 parts a year into Mexico/China to be assembled.

With all this bad press about manufacturing dieing people have gotten out of the trade schools. We are trying to hire people and there is such tough competition over the qualified people it is insane.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom