results in on .338 loads

joebuck

To be honest, less than impressive. I hit a bull moose solidly 3 times and he still managed to run about 100 yards and drop dead in the middle of a lake. My dad shot a moose with my 7mm mag and anchored it with one shot.(160 sierra btsp)

To add insult to injury, a grizzly made off with about half of my moose!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-03 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]Howdy,

Congrats on the to moose! Don't give up on your load just yet. Take some time and really evaluate what happened. Did you manage to recover any of the bullets?

Again, congrats!!!

And Oh, by the way, did you use the Hornady 225 grain spire points, that you mentioned on your earlier post, on the moose??? The reason I'm asking is, I shoot a .340 Weatherby and use Nosler partitions and Sierra spitzers. I'm wondering if your bullet performance was up to par. I'm really interested in whether or not you recovered any bullets. Best to you!

Coach

Guys I have to tell you I was a barns x believer until I tried a bullet called a woodleigh you can look them up on the web and order them from midwayusa.com
I never had problems with the barns x except accuracy but in my 30 cal rifle I can get a 3 shot group at .45 with barns x I would usually get .75 3 shot groups \
back on the woodleigh bullets they are called protected points
the company is out of Australia and generally the bullet is designed for dangerous game but works excellent.
try them it just might change your thoughts on hunting bullets.

Sorry coach, I didn't recover any bullets as the bear made off with both front shoulders of my moose! We did recover the bullet from my dad's though. 160 grain sierra btsp looked awesome. Good expansion and weight retention. Gonna put it on the scale as soon as I can find it. People who talk about bullet disitegration in the 7mm magnum are using the wrong bullet.

Should have packed some Trophy Bonded Bear Claws or Nosler Partitions. I am just using the Ballistic Tip 200 grains and will report what these beasts will do to some West Texas hogs soon....

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

I used 210 nosler partitions acouple years ago for black bear. Since then I had a lot of gun work done and thought I'd fiddle around with some different loads. The reason I started with the Hornadys is because I got them cheap and these particular loads were recommended to me. I'll keep trying new stuff though. There were a lot of suggestions on this site.

100 yards ain't bad for a moose. they pack a lot of lead. i take it your dad made a spine shot? a heart shot moose can travel a faie piece before going down. where did you hit him? .338 is plenty of rifle for moose.

No, dad shot his right through the heart. It kinda stumbled a bit and tipped over. Mine was more like 300 yards. Two in the shoulder, one in the neck. This is the third moose I've shot and they all do a bit of travelling all right.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom