Results - Rifle Shooting Distance

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
Thanks for those of you who legitimately participated in answering some questions about shooting distance. Not being a statistics whiz, here is my attempt at creating a normal bell curve using Excel. For any of you that are really good at stats, maybe you can offer an interpretation of the graph. Yardage is on the x axis.

3159rifle_bell_curve.jpg

My apologies for the small, grainy image.

>Aaaaaannnnnnddddd this proves what?

It doesn't prove anything. It's not supposed to. It just shows what typical shooting distances are, at least from hunters in here. People have been talking about long distance shooting, and everyone has their own interpretation of what "long distance" means. This gives you an idea as to whether or not you could be considered a long distance shooter, or if you shoot within ranges that are considered "normal".

Don't worry too much about the y axis. The average shot, according the answers from the other posts, is 265 yards. One standard deviation is 177 yards. It is obviously not a perfect bell curve, but it should give you an idea as to where most people shoot distances from. Those shooting at game from 600+ are definitely a very small percentage of hunters. Hopefully those that do shoot from that distance are also in the top % of skilled marksmen.

Oh, and I did spend more time on it than I wanted to. But, I was interested in the info, so it was worth it to me. If it's not interesting to you, that's totally fine.

that looks like the bullet trajectory of my 30-30 shoot'n 750 yards.

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

based on your info I'd say a long range shot is 500 yards+. It looks like from about 500-525 out to 800 yards the shots are few and far between. cool stats.

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

Well Mr Grizz Guy,
I think it is interesting. I too like to see what other hunters are doing and how they get it done.
I've been around the block a few times and like I said, during one of my run-on sentences, MOST hunters SHOULD stick to 300- shots. It would appear that they know their limits and hunt well enough to get the job done.

Again, kinda cool, well done!

Zeke

This actually ruined my day. I am currenty taking STAT 2040 and the class is weighing heavy on me. I hadn't thought about my class today until I seen this. :)

Senor Grizzmoose,

Sorry if I came off as a jerk. I thought you were trying to demonstrate something with all the data gathering and number crunching.

So I have one question. Is the archery data mixed in with the rifle data? If it is I will go out on a limb and say that 265 yards is too far to be shooting game with a bow.

Now, if your mean is 265 and standard deviation is 177 (I'm very rusty here so forgive me if I'm wrong) then 95 percent of shots fall within 2 standard deviations of the mean. So 95 percent are between 89 and 442 yards. That sounds about like what I would expect. Now one must assume that if the archery data is included most of it falls in the under 89 yard category. If you take it out then your variance should tighten up but the mean may move further to the right or towards a longer distance.

Now, if the task at hand were to develop a specification for shooting one would likely say the process is "capable" of ranges within 3 standard deviations. Therefore your spec would be from 0 yards to 550 yards. All other values would lie outside the spec. Which means that if you are closer than zero yards the bullet would have to fly into a black hole... which is another topic entirely.

So what does this mean? I don't have a clue but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once and I just saved a ton on my car insurance.

Im not that sensitive man, no worries. The data does not include archery or muzzle loaders. I didn't think there was really enough responses for those weapons to do it. I could though with what I have.

Your comments about 95% of shots between 89 and 442 are as accurate as they can be with this distribution. (It's obviously not a perfect bell curve!)

Remember, in a normal bell curve, your bottom line on the left really never hits 0, so I dont know if your black hole shot is possible. I'll tell ya what. . .go start a thread on that. Ill see if Stephen Hawking can chime in =).

I don't have the Excel program but I was able to make this graph...

stupidpost.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Just giving you crap Grizzmoose... :)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

>Just giving you crap Grizzmoose... :)
>
>
That graph makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where George gets smarter and smarter until he does that chick. Funny stuff!

>I don't have the Excel program
>but I was able to
>make this graph...
>
>
stupidpost.jpg

>
>
>
>
horsepoop.gif

>
>Disclaimer:
lol

Those are both GREAT graphs guys, thanks for taking the time to gather the data. I'm no college grad nor do I have excell, so I'll use the paint program method to show you one more bit of data that you might be surpised with.....
4735graph.jpg

This graph should clear up any further confusion there may be on the subject. If not, let me know, I can work some more numbers for you guys.

HEY SNORT......YOUR GETTIN SMARTER BY THE DAY........YOU STOPPED EATIN BEAR MEAT.....RIGHT.........ME TOO !!!!!............,YD.

>
> HEY SNORT......YOUR GETTIN SMARTER
>BY THE DAY........YOU STOPPED EATIN
>BEAR MEAT.....RIGHT.........ME TOO !!!!!............,YD.

LOL... I have been following the rabbits and eating their smart pills.. I believe it's working!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom