Retired casings

Hardway

Very Active Member
Kind of funny , but my grandfather who was a serious reloader would always save the case after he killed a big game animal and would write the date, animal, and state on it with a marker and saved them in an old glass jar on his bench. He always said " that case has done its job so it's retired and does'nt have to work anymore ". That old glass jar must have been a gallon and it was damn near full. I do the same but I'm still working on an old mason jar....... Just wondering if anyone does the same?

That's a neat story. I used to save mine but never wrote anything on them. It got to the point to where it was kind of dumb to save them as I didn't know which shell went for what animal. My Dad also reloads so I give all my shells back to him so he can make me more. :)

M'Balz Es Hari

I like to write my goal down on the first shell that'll be out of my gun for that particular hunt. If the goal isn't reached, it gets polished and tried again. I've had 190" written on quite a few shells before it came to pass. If the goal is reached, I then "retire" that particular brass to the hunting drawer. It brings back some good memories to dig through the old brass!

I've saved a few. Mostly just ones that have significance, like the one I wacked my wolf with. I do however, save every punched tag. mtmuley

I saved my first reload casings that took game with my .243 Sako, my 25-06 Ruger M77, and my 30-06 pre 64 Model 70 Winchester. They're right here on my computer desk and I can look at them and remember those hunts just like looking at the wall mounts of animals I've taken.

Dad had a "Reloading" room in his basement. He saved all the hunting licenses minus the Tag part ,of all our families big game licenses. And framed them and they went "on the wall" . As stated before only with bullets, My kids always write down something about shot placement on their arrows. We save All the arrows that harvest game. They are on either my kids walls or my gun room wall.

Not exactly. But, I wish I could have sat around a fire with your old grand dad. Too may guys like that are gone.

"When there's lead in the air, there's hope."

I started reloading this past year and have killed a few animials with my reloads. I have kept the casings from those animals and from the animals my wife has killed with the reloads. For what ever reason it gives me alot more satisfaction using reloads and makes me want to make a trophy, if you will, out of the case.a

I keep recovered bullets but an empty casing just gets put back into duty. I guess I'm non-sentimental, cheap or a slave driver.

I've got the cases from my first deer and elk from each of my rifles sitting on a shelf in my hobby room. Also a couple recovered bullets.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom