Returning a tag

JSTWIG22

Can you return a drawn tag if you can’t go on the hunt and get a refund? A friend hurt his hand and can’t use it for four months and he drew an archery deer tag ..thanks for any info

I know of a case where they allowed a person that was "temporarily handicapped" (pregnant) to use a crossbow instead of her regular archery tackle. If a crossbow would work for your friend, you might have them check to see if that is an option.

Last edited:
There are three ways you can turn in a drawn tag for a refund .
#1 The tag holder is in a military deployment, the department will allow for tag transfer to a hunter of the original successful applicant choice and a refund given to hunter/replaced fees by new hunter.
#2 In the case if a life threatening illness and or injury with supporting medical documentation. Must be life threatening.
#3 in the case of death to the hunter before the hunt takes place , the department will give a refund to the family , as long as the department has been contacted before the first day of the hunt.

Hope this helps ...

It is appallingly easy to get permission to use xbow if that's the way he wants to do it. My understanding is he could turn it in and the tag would be given to someone else, but he would not get a refund.

I know someone who had shoulder surgery a couple years ago and was able to transfer his tag to someone else because he hadn't recovered from surgery fully.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom