Returning Soldier

tayhot

My best friend and hunting buddy is returning from Afghanistan after serving this country in the Air Force. I know some of you may have served in the military and know the struggles of acclomating back as a civilian. I am looking for some ideas that I and my family can do for him to make him feel a heros welcome. Any thoughts?

Before he left I bought him a new Zeiss scope for his .270 and now that he is getting close to being home, I'd like to take him on a hunting trip of some kind so he can put the scope to use. Texas hog/deer, NM land owner cow tag, etc. Any thoughts?

First, get in touch with NM Game and Fish to see if they have any returning vet hunts coming up. Next, contact KHart on your very on MM NM forum and ask Kevin for some guidance on the subject...

DC

Being there for him is probably the best thing you can do. Maybe a welcome home party with friends would be a good place to start. I've never been a fan of paying to hunt, but that's probably your only option in Texas. I'd check into finding a doe hunt or something like that...who knows, you might find a great deal for a returning Vet. I served 26 years in the Air Force myself and the deployments were the worst part. It's tough being a long way from home and not being there for the ones you love. Tell your friend I said thanks for his service!

Phil Green, SMSgt USAF Retired

My brother just returned from his second deployment in Afghanistan (Army SGT in 82nd Airborne)and I agree, the best thing you can do is be there and be supportive. He may or may not need it...that all depends on him.

My thanks to my bro will be shown is several ways. I'm putting him in for every returning vet hunt there is (as he loves to hunt as much as I do), signing over my bass boat to him to help get him back on the water and plan to spend as much time as possible in the sticks with him. NM has several opportunities for returning Vets, including military only hunts for Oryx and Barbary...just to name a few. I can't say thanks enough to him and all the other service men and women that help protect our way of life. Things like hunts and boats are in no way an equal trade for the last 4 yrs of service, but its the least I can do for a young man that has been through much more than we'll ever know. I hope your brother is doing well, and pass on my thanks and appreciation to him for his service and dedication to our great country and way of life. I truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart and hope that all others, especially those that don't have family members in the military, realize and respect the sacrifices these men and women take on to maintain our way of life.

You know, I hadn't seen this post up until now as I was searching for information on the oryx hunt. Taylor, you're a good friend. Can't wait to get out in the field with you this year. Thanks to the rest of you who support our troops and their families.

Tayhot, I had watched a show the other day on the NG Channel It was a very touching show,And It got my wheels turning for a returning veteran.

I dont know if he can put in for the draw as a Res or NR.

What I have to offer.I have a cabin in unit 52 Im usually busy for the bull hunts.But if he can draw or purchase a LO cow tag
I can provide the place to stay.

Breakfast and dinners will be on me.Also can show you guys around the unit.The cabin can sleep up to 4 if you guys want to bring company.If this intrests you let me know.

It's great your doing what your doing for him...Just be a damn good friend and tell him thanks.

Hey I just saw this post. We,ve been doing some hunts for heros kinda stuff so send me a pm and maybe we can help you help the guy,s and gals keeping us safe.

If the mormon brain eating rituals hadn't coroded your memory you might just remember that you can come down here and we can travel to the mountains and shoot as many catalina rams as we can stomache to smell in one day. I think I put down over 30 last year by my self. Its fun dude!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom