Rhodes Canyon help

bowelk

I have an Oryx hunt in Rhodes Canyon next year and I am just wondering if I should plan on taking an ATV. I realize it is a while away but I will have to find time to take a Safety Course in order to get it onto base. Also how bad are the roads, the info sheet I got said to take two spare tires? I really dont want to beat up my truck.

I hunted RC 2 years ago and I wouldn't take a ATV.Get a good deer cart like the cabelas mag hauler and you will be fine.Save the truck space for coolers and ice if your hunt is in hot part of year.Get it to the gate and have the guys quarter and cape and you are all done.If you decide to use a guide PM me and I will recommend one.It's a great hunt.All I have to do now is get someone else to draw so I can go again.

LAST EDITED ON May-19-10 AT 12:25PM (MST)[p]I did my OIL hunt two years ago on Rhodes and was thinking of taking my jeep. Decided against it and would have been disappointed had I taken it. The roads to a large extent are black top or fairly well maintained "dirt roads". Saw very few hunters with anything other than "highway" rigs.

Just my $0.02. Great time and wonderful trophy and meat for the table. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON May-19-10 AT 01:58PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-19-10 AT 01:57?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-19-10 AT 01:48?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-19-10 AT 01:45?PM (MST)

+1 muygrande1... I have been on Rhodes several times and took my OIL bull there as well, if you have friends going with you preferably 3 (the max) make sure each one has a pack frame capable of holding a quarter and the animal can be removed from the field in one shot with 4 guys head ,cape,& meat, we have done it several times. You could get lucky and kill one close enough to drive right up to if it has not been raining during your hunt as the mud there is hideous and you WILL get stuck!

You will be doing the ol' spot, evaluate and stalk method there from the roads, I will be there once again helping a friend on the October 2010 hunt and hopefully get him a big bull on the ground.

Any questions PM me I can set you up in the right direction.

6959rhodes_canyon_once_in_a_lifetime.jpg

6579100_1973.jpg

2279james_petkers_oil_bull_003_size.jpg

3142picture_082.jpg

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

I did take my 4 wheeler and was glad I did. I shot mine in the foothills about a 1.5 miles in. It was on an old mining road and I road right up to it and loaded it up. I was from out of state and in this case was glad to have it.

I don't believe the 4-wheeler is worth hauling either. You could potentially cover a lot more miles than you'd want to put on a 4-wheeler, so you definitely won't be hunting off of it.

The roads are well maintained, it's if you drive your truck off the road to retrieve where you'll run into tire trouble with a lot of seriously thorny shrubbery. So the same could apply to a 4-wheeler, although it's a lot easier to maneuver through the brush with.

As mentioned, the 4-wheeler also takes up a lot of space that cuold be better used for coolers and gear.

You can only use your ATV to retrieve down game, can't hunt off it on WSMR. I would take it anyway, oryx are heavy and I'm getting old.

take it! I hunted there in 2009 and shot the biggest bull of the hunt. 40.5" Bull. Take some helpers or at least one. Be prepared to shoot off of sticks. It ain't as easy as antelope hunting either. I know some good hunters that have gotten skunked on these hunts from holding out and 2 days ain't long to hunt.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

definatly take it. you might get lucky and find a stupid one that stands 100 yds off the road and let you shoot him there and just drop dead. not likely though. those things are tough and run along ways even if your shot is perfect.

cabelas sells a unit called Louisiana Guard Dog. It is a replacement for tie down straps that attaches to your receiver hitch and then attaches to the 2" ball on your atv. This is a safe system for transporting an atv especially across the country but it also frees up alot of your bed space for gear and coolers since the atv now rides on the tailgate partway. Take a look at them online. Our state game and fish has made them mandatory for wildlife officers in the past due to problems associated with hauling atvs.
No sense in breaking out a back glass of a pickup or better yet killing yourself in an accident when an atv comes through the back glass in a wreck that happens to not be your fault!
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

I could have used mine for sure. I shot mine 2 miles off the road and was only able to get my truck in about 1/3 of the way. We used a game cart for the rest, and honestly that thing wasn't worth the trouble. In the time it took to walk back to the truck to get it, and then to wrestle it through the sand, gullies and brush, it would have been much easier to just quarter up and pack out. But, if I had had my quad, I could have driven right up to it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom