Rhodes Canyon Oryx Dec 2011

hjbuys

I was fortunate to draw a war-veteran Oryx hunt this year in Rhodes Canyon and am excited for this OIL opportunity. As I am having a hard time finding much information about the hunt online, I was hoping to get some help on this site. I understand there may be some maps floating around that they hand out for the hunt. Is it possible to get my hands on one of those before the hunt? Also, any tips, tactics, suggestions offered will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Congratulations on your draw success! Give me a call, I can help you as much as as possible. PM sent

The best piece of advice I would give to you is when you get into a group of oryx pick the one you want right away as fast as possible because I was on an oryx MI hunt last year with my Tio and the biggest problem we had was there was a lot of really nice oryx everywhere and we couldnt decide in time which one to shoot. This hunt was also Rhodes Canyon in December. There are lots and lots of bigger oryx than the stallion range in rhodes canyon. My Tio ended up getting a really nice one.

left horn 39 1/4 right horn 39 1/2
5521tio_ray_oryx_004.jpg

Good luck

I've got the maps and you've got the best area on the range to hunt. I'll help a veteran any time I can. PM me and I will send you my maps and my hotspots if such things exist where oryx seem to be everywhere. Hold out for a 40 incher on the first day because there are more than a few in there. Every single hunter I've helped in there has shot at and missed 40 inch bulls under 300 yards standing still. the best was a 42 1/2 bull I help an MI friend of mine get 2 years back in rhoads. Gilber Villegas took us to his hot spot and before we shot his bull we passed several bulls around the 38 to 39 inch range, lots of 38" cows and even one bull I figured may go 40 but just wasn't sure. Last february when I took sam he missed a solid 40" bull and missed a cow pushing the 40" mark.

My point is that if you hunt hard and be patient a 40" is very possible regardless of what people on here say. On day 2 if you aren't tagged out hunt the sand hills. Find fresh tracks and start tracking. If your a decent shot you will kill a great oryx less than 30 yards away within 3 hours of starting your tracking job. On day 2 don't be picky, just shoot a solid non broken oryx and be happy. It will happen so don't worry. And Don't hire a guide. Its absolutely a waste of money. Trust me, this is a diy hunt all the way.

Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-11 AT 01:59PM (MST)[p]on a side note here guys........

This is a war veteran. That means you friggin outfitters looking to make an easy buck need to leave him the hell alone! Got it!

Once in a lifetime hunt, and you are telling him to hold out for a 40 incher?

What if the, winds are blowing 70 mph. I have seen that!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-11 AT 03:06AM (MST)[p]Stinky sounds like you should be the outfitter on range...I been on nearly 50 oryx hunts and don't see 40 inchers like you do! To my knowledge, Gilbert correct me if I'm wrong but we have killed the most 40 inchers out of any outfit... Stinky Stomper you are my idol and I would be delighted if you guided every single one of my hunters from here on out!

Once in a lifetime hunt, not long to get it done, hire an outfitter if you can. I'm glad I did, no regrets. Those AAO guys are hardcore and will get it done.

Not only is HJ an amazing guy, but is probably one of those friends you can only count on one hand. All the info he can get to make this DIY hunt become a memorable one would be much appreciated. I want him to be successful.

What gear reccomendations can y'all give? Tripod, caliber of rifle,etc?

Uhhhhh yeah that is correct. I have always seen at least one but I usually see well over a few hundred oryx. I'm glad I'm your idol and if there's any room I will take him. In my own truck, and use my own gas.

I just get sick of you outfitters preying on these poor guys who don't know whats going on. Did I say I kill 40 inch oryx everytime? No I did not. I said I always see one. Now getting that one is a different story. Last hunter was a 12 year old kid from idaho and we had about 150 oryx around us. All the hunters herded them into one very remote area. We snuck in and got set up with my lapua at 600 yards. We waited for about 3 hours until I found a 40ish cow. Kid didn't know what he was looking at and shot a half grown 29 inch oryx. Yes 600 yards so I lied about the 300 yard shot but 600 for my lapua is a very easy shot. Heck if a 12 year old can do it with one shot how difficult can it be. Anyways this discussion is over. You guys just keep tooting your horns all you want. I will stay here and keep guiding people for free because I like to help people out and sure as heck won't take advantage of them.

As for the winds....... Given the circumstances you have to adjust your hunt. Obviously your gonna have to take the first representative oryx you see. My point is why would you shoot an oryx in the first hour and end your oil hunt. Sit back and enjoy the hunt and don't rush yourself. thats just the way I see it.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

I have one last question......

This is a military vet. Do the guides on this website not even have the decency to guide this man for free?

I'm sure there are a lot of good guides out there who are on my side but for those of you who even consider charging a recently returning military vet for your guide services are truly worthless individuals in my book.

Hey taylor, why didn't you call me up in the first place and let me know? If he's tight on money I will even get his hotel room and meals. However your sorry butt can buy your own room and meals. You know me, I have mormon fobia and won't do anything to help your kind out! lol j/k

Ahhhhhh, I see it's a case of the one that got away! ANYWAYS, please don't question my integrity as a person, for if I remember correctly I was the first one to offer to help this gentleman out... Yes this is my job and how I pay the bills, BUT I will be the first to help anyone out as much as I can. Guided or DIY...

Seeing hundreds of oryx is the norm for this range, but 40 inchers are not around every bush... My greatest suggestion to anyone who drew is first off know your gun in and out before ever stepping foot on range. Average shots consist of about 250 yards, but these animals are tough and can take a bullet. Follow up shots are the ones that are usually 400 yards plus. Next biggest factor is optics, I run into hunters every single hunt that pull up and say we have not seen anything and from where we are parked I'm watching multiple groups of oryx. Although very pronounce markings are prevelant on oryx bodies these animals blend in well at further distances. When you get to a spot to glass don't just be looking out too a 5-600 yard radius, extend out preferably with a spotting scope to miles and see the oryx everybody else just can't see. In my opinion hot spots don't exsist on range the oryx are where you find them and everywhere you go you can find oryx, my "hotspots" are where nobody else is hunting that particular hunt. I can talk about oryx hunting until I'm blue in the face but at the end of the day I'm still that "BAD GUIDE" trying to make a living... PM's are welcome if anybody else has any other questions.

Scared of mormons? We are harmless, most of the time. just dont play basketball or softball with us. Thats when we hurt people

Tayhot, I am with you, us Mormons are harmless but once in a while you better watch out. Just ask all the college basketball teams that got Jimmered this year!

That would be a fact, AAO

Hjbuys, in regards to Stinky?s comments I have to say this hunt is about what you want to make of it. I agree with him on some points but not all.

He is correct in saying this can be a DYI hunt with some hard work, good glass, and plenty of unbiased realistic information on what you can expect on these hunts from WSMR via email in the coming months. It will be a challenging hunt. Don?t believe everything you read on the web. Oryx hunting in NM is just that a HUNT. It requires preparation and dedication to go the extra mile for that one opportunity. The key is, as Stinky mentioned, when you get that opportunity you have to capitalize. If you asked me to pass up animals the first day hoping to find a 40 incher I would say you were crazy because I know the first 35 to 38 inch bull or cow I saw I would harvest. Why? You?re restricted by the number of days to hunt. Hunting pressure during that time makes thing very unpredictable. The odds of harvesting a 40 inch Oryx is less then 3/10th of 1%, plus a prayer. It's not like you can scout months in advance to find that monster to figure out where he's spending his time and then you spend the next 3 to 5 days hunting him down. Secondly, the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. It would be nice to harvest a 40 incher don't get me wrong and I'll be looking for that monster but it won't define my hunt. A good 35 inch bull or cow would do me just fine. Ultimately for me it's spending time outdoors with good friends, a great stalk and working for that opportunity. I've known individuals that have passed up 38 to 40 inch cows in hopes for a 40 inch bull. CRAZY! So the question you need to ask yourself is what kind of hunter are you?

The one thing I wouldn't do that Stinky did mention is following tracks unless you were very experienced in tracking animals in the desert and you had several days to spend out there. The main problem with tracking on range is there are tracks everywhere. It's very time consuming by foot, which is time you don't have and you may never catch up with that animal based on the fact you perceived that track to be fresh. If your tracking a herd that you have seen that means they are running and you better prepare for a very long walk and that may be all you get out of it. Off range, this strategy would be very acceptable when you have a month long hunt. The KEY is glassing on this hunt, your eye balls should fall out of your head before you even set foot on the ground to maximize your time. You have to spot them way before they spot you and the only way to do that is to glass, glass and glass far, plus have a spotter if you can. Stinky is absolutely correct, on the last day of your hunt do not be picky unless your trophy hunting.

This leads me to the use of outfitters on these hunts. It's all about hunter preference and what you want. An APPROVED outfitter/guide is not a requirement but in my opinion another tool hunter?s can utilize if they wish to do so while hunting on WSMR. Approximately 10% of the hunters that do hunt on WSMR hire an outfitter. Outfitters are an excellent resource for those hunters who are hard set on harvesting a 38 inch plus trophy animal and need that experience to help judge these animals. They also have the necessary equipment and knowledge of the range to efficiently spend time hunting. They are also a great resource for logistic purposes for non resident hunters who are the main clients for outfitters on these hunts. At the same time, the average DO IT YOURSELF hunter should get the same opportunity to harvest an animal by following some basic hunting tips that WSMR will go over in the coming weeks and months to help them be successful.

I think it's unfair to say outfitters are taking advantage of hunters on these hunts. It is totally the hunter?s preference! Plus, those hunters that use Outfitters are most often previous clients or hunters that are looking for that MONSTER and want the convenience of having someone helping them on their hunt. WSMR APPROVED outfitters are only providing a service that hunters can use just like any other service we have that makes life easier. I am sure Stinky?s had many guides assist him through the years on his hunts across the country and in Africa, paid or just good friends that knew the land and where to go. If I was a trophy hunter I would definitely be enlisting and outfitter for their services. Actually, if I could ever draw I am going to call Stinky so we can use his truck and gas! What a guy. Lunch is on me!

In regards to the map, WSMR will provide you an unofficial map in the coming months. Be careful on using unapproved maps, the boundaries can change at anytime and if you're using the wrong map it could be trouble.

So I hope that helped a bit Hjbuys. You can anticipate plenty of information from WSMR to prepare you for your hunt so don't stress. I also want to thank you for your service to our country and if there is anything I can do for you just PM me?

Thanks to everyone who has offered their help and expressed their support for our troops. I can't wait for the hunt. I think this will be the first time in my life I will be looking forward to winter! Thanks again.

Did you say I should be afraid of you on a softball field there taylor???? You do know I'm pretty good at softball right. You do remember the size difference last time we saw each other right? Ever seen a 300lb guy doing a 4.9 40 coming down the base path at you? hahaha want to? lol

I don't think that chain link back stop will hold your pretty little body in the field! lol

but then there is last season. I broke 4 ribs just swinging my bat. and then theres that time last year when I accidently put a handful of icy hot on my nuts. And then there is all the old man pulled muscles........... etc. etc. etc. lol. ok maybe im old but will still take you out! lol

Stinky, Stinky, Stinky, there are few things in life that I am good at, but there are only three things that I excel in for sure. They are in this order...

1. Being good looking
2. Making my wife happy ;)
3. Softball

Yes, I am a "hasbeen" or a usedtacould". I fully admit that and have come to peace that I will never make it to the major leagues. However, that is why I play softball. I can pretend to be something I always thought of being. I'll call your bluff that you are a better softball player and will arrange next time you are in town a friendly compettition at the local softball field. I'll even break my religion's policy on gambling and throw $100 bucks that I can give you the beat down you so desperatly need. Now, take your sickly body back to the ER cause that is where you'll end up when playing with the big boys. You can't even handle seasonal allergies :)I crack myself up. HJ has seen me play a few times and think he can vouch for me a bit. Maybe not as much as I've talked myself up here, but regardless, I'm still better than you. ROFL

Sorry to hijack my buddie's thread here, but I need some comic relief in my life right now.

good looking? does that mean you do your hair up all nice, shave, manscape, etc, and never ever ever take your shirt off?

As long as your layering that has been body well enough I assume enough grooming can overcome other obstacles.

However, you could have my curse and everytime you take off your shirt all the unhappy housewife (caughing stephanie caughing) and girls below the age of 22 flock to your side all at once and beg for their turn to touch your body...... boy my life sucks...... and my wifes getting really jealous.

But im getting used to my life. im adjusting just fine.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom