Rifelscope Reticle

songdog

My brother built me a custom AR-15 flattop varmint rifle and I would like to top it off with an upper end Nikon scope. Can someone give me some suggestions/advice on which type of reticle they prefer? I am considering the BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator), NikonPlex (Duplex), and the MilDot reticles...

The primary use for this flattopper will be prairie dogs and other varmints and maybe some occassional target shooting.

Using the Nikon SpotOn Ballistic software will be very helpful to fine tune a particular load for priarie dogs as well as order custom turrents from Nikon.

Many thanks in advance!!!

If the BDC matches a load you might use, then get it. If it doesn't really match then go with the Mildot, but definately don't get the duplex!

One thing I learned with prairie dogs was that with a ballistic type plex we could hit more even when we didn't know the range.

You miss once, and then know where to hold for the next shot and can be consistent doing so because of the reticle. But I really think just having marks of any kind is great for prairie dogs, especially when you get to do a lot of shooting.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Nikon BDC. Its too coarse for long range accuracy. I do much better with other reticles. I would opt for a Mil-Dot or the standard duplex with target turrets.

I understand your comments regarding the BDC, duplex, and mildot. For long ranges at prairie dogs out to 600 yards where the target size/kill zone is less than 6 inches, the BDC might not be a good option. If I was shooting silhouette targets where the target size/kill zone might be 16 inches, I can see where the BDC might be the better option. The mildot reticle, custom turrets, Barnes Varmint Grenade handloads, and a good laser rangefinder might possibly be the way to go. Any comments good, bad, or indifferent???

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom