Rifle actions

Rie bread

Very Active Member
Ok I have a Remington 700 and a 70’s modle 70 both in .270. What other brands of actions are that much different to add to the collection?

Savage 110 ?
Weatherby 6lug 9 lug?
Howa/ vanguard?
Ruger Hawkeye?

It’s gonna have a wood stock and probably be in 25-06, 243 or 22-250. Wife and I just did the budget and a rifle plus scope is in the budget this year.

Tikka with hunter wood stock. Should be available in those calibers. Action smooth as butter, incredibly reliable, good aftermarket support. The actions are made with tight enough tolerance to accept shouldered prefit barrels. No other production rifle can boast that and many “custom” actions can’t either. Plus you can pretty much guarantee the rifle will be a shooter from the factory.

Tikka with hunter wood stock. Should be available in those calibers. Action smooth as butter, incredibly reliable, good aftermarket support. The actions are made with tight enough tolerance to accept shouldered prefit barrels. No other production rifle can boast that and many “custom” actions can’t either. Plus you can pretty much guarantee the rifle will be a shooter from the factory.
I will say of the actions iv used the tikka is smooth. Probably worth a purchase for historical records

I will say of the actions iv used the tikka is smooth. Probably worth a purchase for historical records
Not sure if they’re making them in that variety..but tikka does have 1:8 twist 22-250 and 1:8 243. If you handload, it breathes life into those cartridges being able to shoot the heavy for caliber stuff. I actually rechambered the 22-250 barrel into 22 creedmoor mostly for better brass availability and routinely shoot steel at 1000 yards with it.

Not sure if they’re making them in that variety..but tikka does have 1:8 twist 22-250 and 1:8 243. If you handload, it breathes life into those cartridges being able to shoot the heavy for caliber stuff. I actually rechambered the 22-250 barrel into 22 creedmoor mostly for better brass availability and routinely shoot steel at 1000 yards with it.
If I go more of a carry gun I think the tikka will be the one. Only thing I’m not into is the magazine, much more of the blind or drop plate type of guy

Basically narrowed it down to 22-250 or 243

Last edited:
I’ve built two customs off tikka actions and they are fantastic. Aftermarket trigger of course and depending on caliber you may want to look at AICS bottom metal and mags. Thats what did on both. Tikka mags really restrict OAL in some calibers. But I love a box mag

I’ve built two customs off tikka actions and they are fantastic. Aftermarket trigger of course and depending on caliber you may want to look at AICS bottom metal and mags. Thats what did on both. Tikka mags really restrict OAL in some calibers. But I love a box mag
Your rifles more of a bench style or light enough for of hand shooting?

Your rifles more of a bench style or light enough for of hand shooting?
They are hunting rifles. Wouldn’t call either of them “light” but I grew out if the ultra light everything phase long time ago. There are things I will pay weight penalties for. Rifles snd glass being one of them. Little more weight to a rifle really is not a bad thing.

For what they are though they are not crazy. Certainly not a bench rest. Carbon fiber barrel in one, bull steel barrel in the other. Forget the exact contour but it’s heavy. Also cut down to 18” with a suppressor so I knew I could go heavier on contour. Both tack drivers, and I love a tikka action. It’s smooth as glass out of the box. Tuning up by a good gun smith and it’s as good as any custom I’ve handled.

Buddy and me built 22 creeds at the same time. He went defiance, I like mine better side by side. It’s just smoother

They are hunting rifles. Wouldn’t call either of them “light” but I grew out if the ultra light everything phase long time ago. There are things I will pay weight penalties for. Rifles snd glass being one of them. Little more weight to a rifle really is not a bad thing.

For what they are though they are not crazy. Certainly not a bench rest. Carbon fiber barrel in one, bull steel barrel in the other. Forget the exact contour but it’s heavy. Also cut down to 18” with a suppressor so I knew I could go heavier on contour. Both tack drivers, and I love a tikka action. It’s smooth as glass out of the box. Tuning up by a good gun smith and it’s as good as any custom I’ve handled.

Buddy and me built 22 creeds at the same time. He went defiance, I like mine better side by side. It’s just smoother
Sorry the rifle question was for a coyote gun. I’m not an ultra light rifle guy either both mine are 9 lbs .270s.
what’s calibers are yours?

For a wood stocked factory gun I would consider an older "tang safety" Ruger M77. They have a different style of action that you may like, and they are not hard to find on the used market.

If you want new I'l look at Tikka, Sako, or the one that currently interests me the most....the new CZ 600 American.

Sorry the rifle question was for a coyote gun. I’m not an ultra light rifle guy either both mine are 9 lbs .270s.
what’s calibers are yours?
In a tikka action

30 nosler for my big game gun. 26” carbon fiber barrel and McMillan A5 stock. That things around 8-9 pounds

22 creedmoor coyote gun. 18” Palma: varmint contour in a mesa precision stock. I cannot recommend that stock highly enough. I e always been a McMillan guy and gave these guys a try last time. It’s fantastic, little cheaper and in stock way more then McMillan and their 14 month waits…

22 probably weighs right around what the 30 does but that barrel contour is stout and it’s wearing a nightforce NXS. Those aren’t super light either

All this being said, tikka actions are a pretty light weight option in them selves

In a tikka action

30 nosler for my big game gun. 26” carbon fiber barrel and McMillan A5 stock. That things around 8-9 pounds

22 creedmoor coyote gun. 18” Palma: varmint contour in a mesa precision stock. I cannot recommend that stock highly enough. I e always been a McMillan guy and gave these guys a try last time. It’s fantastic, little cheaper and in stock way more then McMillan and their 14 month waits…

22 probably weighs right around what the 30 does but that barrel contour is stout and it’s wearing a nightforce NXS. Those aren’t super light either

All this being said, tikka actions are a pretty light weight option in them selves
Thanks for the break down.
Still deciding on .243 or 22-250.

Thinking of going more varmint style with the 22-250 and at least a 26” barrel. Looking at the savage bvss for that.

If I end up the .243 gonna go the tikka with a wood stock.

Wife and I are applying out of state and if we don’t draw gonna get a new rifle!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Keep it coming

You a reloader? If I was going to build a 243 it would be a 243AI. That round has always looked pretty awesome.

To each their own on wood stocks. They look pretty but wouldn’t be my choice

I’m not a reloaded anymore. Use to load 40-60 round with my grandpa a year plus couple hundred shot gun shells but gave that stuff away(double doh). Been trying to stock up on primers but can’t find them locally to save my life.

I love the way wood stocks carry scars from hunts. My grandpas wood stock model 70 has them and I like that aspect of it.

This guy breaks it down haha. Got the .17 hmr and he reviews a few of the cartridges I’m considering and has the rifle one of the table I’m looking at

Just bolts and AR’s. Honestly a well put together AR may be the best thing but I love my bolt guns. Next coyote gun I’m going to build will be an AR in 224 valkery with a thermal on top of it for a dedicated night rig

Ruger M77, Hawkeye, 25-06, or Christensen Arms, Mesa in 6.5 Creed, get my vote. Anyone can shoot either comfortably and either is appropriate for deer/pronghorn/black bear/coyotes.

Ruger M77, Hawkeye, 25-06, or Christensen Arms, Mesa in 6.5 Creed, get my vote. Anyone can shoot either comfortably and either is appropriate for deer/pronghorn/black bear/coyotes.
The creedmore with the lighter bullets seems alright- did I just say that? lol

Wrapping up my rem700 .270 project, took some work to get a stocky stock to fit just well. Shot well today with all types of ammo so I dropped it off to get bedded and the mag plate engraved.

Now onto the next… thinking control feed for kicks and giggles.

Last edited:
Nothing against Ruger, I’ve owned several, but in order of preference I’d still take a BACO M70 over any Ruger. That said, a NH built Classic or true Pre-64 trounces all of em.

I would go with a Howa 1500 rifle. Factory has a guarantee for accuracy. It is very similar to a Remington 700 except it has a Sako style extractor and the recoil lug is part of the receiver like the Winchester M-70 and not that thin shim Remington uses in their 700. Weatherby sells it under the Vanguard name, but the rifle was built by Howa in Japan.
RELH

I would go with a Howa 1500 rifle. Factory has a guarantee for accuracy. It is very similar to a Remington 700 except it has a Sako style extractor and the recoil lug is part of the receiver like the Winchester M-70 and not that thin shim Remington uses in their 700. Weatherby sells it under the Vanguard name, but the rifle was built by Howa in Japan.
RELH
I like USA. mtmuley

I can understand your like for USA products, but sometimes those USA products fall behind in quality control over a foreign made product. Before I got into knife making, I use to build up custom rifles with match grade barrels and guarantee the accuracy.
Some of the worse actions I came across for poor quality control were USA made and Remington was one of the worse. I refused to build a custom on a customer's Rem. 700 due to the barrel threads being out of round by 40 thousand. The primer indentation was very offset.
The best luck I had for accuracy was the Howa 1500 action and the Interarms Mark-X Mauser action due to consistent quality control. The Winchester Pre-64 Model-70 was another rifle action that had great quality control. Those actions required very little work to build up a very accurate rifle.
RELH

I can understand your like for USA products, but sometimes those USA products fall behind in quality control over a foreign made product. Before I got into knife making, I use to build up custom rifles with match grade barrels and guarantee the accuracy.
Some of the worse actions I came across for poor quality control were USA made and Remington was one of the worse. I refused to build a custom on a customer's Rem. 700 due to the barrel threads being out of round by 40 thousand. The primer indentation was very offset.
The best luck I had for accuracy was the Howa 1500 action and the Interarms Mark-X Mauser action due to consistent quality control. The Winchester Pre-64 Model-70 was another rifle action that had great quality control. Those actions required very little work to build up a very accurate rifle.
RELH
I know you hate Remington. I like em. mtmuley

My second hunting rifle was a Rem. 700 in 30-06 that I converted to 300 Win. Mag. My favorite hunting rifle was a Interarms Mauser Mark-X in 25-06. I killed a lot of deer and antelope with that rifle over a 25 year period. Over 5 one shot kills exceeding 400-500 yards.
I do not hate Remington, but the model 700 had two weak points. First was a small extractor that fit in a groove of the bolt face. That extractor was famous for pulling over the case rim leaving the fired case in the chamber. One reason the M-700 was not used very often for hunting dangerous game animals.
The second was that thin shim placed between the barrel shoulder and receiver face to act as a recoil lug. On magnum rifles it had a tendency to flex under recoil causing accuracy problems. There was a good after market shim that was thicker used by most custom smiths on rebuilding the Rem.-700.
The Howa 1500 is almost a duplicate of the Rem.-700 except they were smart to improve the extractor by going to a Sako style extractor and made the recoil lug as one piece with the receiver like the win. model-70. In other words they did not take the short cuts that Remington did to cut cost on producing the M-700.
RELH

They work and I can’t tell the difference between the 700 and the Winchester model 70 push feed from the 70s
I know you hate Remington. I like em. mtmuley
It’s funny I tried out a brand new Weatherby action and wasn’t to impressed. Something about those broke in actions, nothing like it other than those tika actions

The best Weatherby rifles were built by Saur in Germany before Roy moved the company to the U.S.A. My father-in-law had two of those German built Weatherbys in 300 & 7mm mag. calibers that would shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards and the action was as smooth as you can get in any factory rifle. We still have those two rifles in the family today.
RELH

In addition to the poorly cut threads, cheesy recoil lug, lack of overall concentricity, and lousy extractor design already discussed…

Let’s not forget about the terrible R700 trigger design, the awful placement of the bolt release, poor bolt lug contact, lack of primary extraction and incorrect bolt timing too. That is if the bolt handle actually remains affixed to the bolt body!

American hunters have to have been one of the least discerning customer groups in the world to allow that POS to get so popular.

Can you tell I prefer Model 70’s? Hell, I prefer a sharp stick!

In addition to the poorly cut threads, cheesy recoil lug, lack of overall concentricity, and lousy extractor design already discussed…

Let’s not forget about the terrible R700 trigger design, the awful placement of the bolt release, poor bolt lug contact, lack of primary extraction and incorrect bolt timing too. That is if the bolt handle actually remains affixed to the bolt body!

American hunters have to have been one of the least discerning customer groups in the world to allow that POS to get so popular.

Can you tell I prefer Model 70’s? Hell, I prefer a sharp stick!
I had a Model 70 Pre 64 Featherweight. Hated it. It's gone. mtmuley

If it was some older Rem. 700, I hope you replaced that Walker trigger Rem. used. That trigger cost Rem. some big law suit money for the gun firing when closing the bolt and causing injuries or death on some hunters.
RELH :love:

If it was some older Rem. 700, I hope you replaced that Walker trigger Rem. used. That trigger cost Rem. some big law suit money for the gun firing when closing the bolt and causing injuries or death on some hunters.
RELH :love:
Walkers are great triggers. Properly tuned. mtmuley

Well I found a .243 in a savage model 12 that’s fairly enticing
But a tikka in .243 and a wood stock is also enticing.
Still wonder about the difference between control feed and push.

Rie Bread, pre-64 Win. M-70 and a Mauser action are controlled feed rifles. So is the Springfield 03 rifle used in WW1. The rim of the cartridge is captured between the extractor and bolt face as soon as it comes up from the magazine.
If you short stroke the bolt and pull the bolt back, it will pull the cartridge back and not leave it sitting half way in the chamber.
Push feed just pushes the cartridge ahead of the bolt and a short stroke will cause a feeding jam.
RELH

Rie Bread, pre-64 Win. M-70 and a Mauser action are controlled feed rifles. So is the Springfield 03 rifle used in WW1. The rim of the cartridge is captured between the extractor and bolt face as soon as it comes up from the magazine.
If you short stroke the bolt and pull the bolt back, it will pull the cartridge back and not leave it sitting half way in the chamber.
Push feed just pushes the cartridge ahead of the bolt and a short stroke will cause a feeding jam.
RELH
the Sako improves the rem700?
What’s up with savage bolts?

the Sako improves the rem700?

Sure does offer more positive extraction over the Rem. 700 itty bitty extractor.
RELH

You a reloader? If I was going to build a 243 it would be a 243AI. That round has always looked pretty awesome.

To each their own on wood stocks. They look pretty but wouldn’t be my choice
That’s my next build 243AI, after I finish a .204 build I’m currently working on…

Wish somebody had told me about all this before I built a bunch of custom rifles on 700 actions 😂😂.
Any decent gunsmith will blueprint a 700 first, and fix all these issues before building on them. And you then will have a fine rifle. At today’s prices, you’ve got $4-500 in gunsmith work just to get to a decent 700 action platform to build on. Unless you’ve already got a donor action laying around it doesn’t make much sense when a clone is about the same cost, all in.

One of my best shooting factory guns is my Tikka . I have custom guns built on a 700 action. But that is a good starting point for a gun smith. But with modern machining you can just buy a custom action ready to go. Like a Defiance AnTi X but their are many out there .

Interesting side note. I purchased a Remington sportsman 78 (a cheapened version of the 700) for $75. Decided to rebarrel it. Gunsmith said that action required no work. Straightest action he’d seen come through his shop.

Interesting side note. I purchased a Remington sportsman 78 (a cheapened version of the 700) for $75. Decided to rebarrel it. Gunsmith said that action required no work. Straightest action he’d seen come through his shop.
I look for those. I like my 788's too. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom