rifle barrel question

cbryant11

my buddy was interested in getting a new barrel for his 264 win mag. he was looking at these barrels cause he read something about it but other than that he doesnt know what the 5c button is,,http://www.rifle-barrels.com/index.html also he was looking at the lilja barrel,,,,how are these barrels and does anybody have a better recommendation,,,,,,thank you cbryant

Lilja, Shilen, Krieger, Hart, Pac-nor. and probably a couple that I am for getting are all the best barrels. Personal preferance picking any of these, they are all that good. Kind of Ford vs Chevy. So take you pick.

i've always had great luck with douglas barrels. some folks say they aren't all that good, but they shoot better than i can. i doubt anyone has been making barrels longer.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-06 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]Howdy,

The Broughton name on the barrels started with a Mister Broughton who was very, VERY, good at benchrest shooting; sorry, old memory has forgotten first name. His barrels started to win quite frequently. After he got retirement age, he sold the barrel making business and name to a young man in Hobbs, New Mexico. I was able to work with Mr. Gary Richards in Hobbs on some projects. He made the absolute best looking barrels I ever saw. I'm not talking about outside, but examining the bore with a 'scope. There was not a single tool mark on them. His 7mm button that he used was rather remarkable. He built three championship Hunter Benchrest rifle barrels with that button. Mr. Richards has since sold the business and the Broughton name to the folks up in Wisconsin, I believe. If they are keeping up the same quality controls that both Mr. Broughton and Mr. Richards did, well then, your friend can find no better barrel anywhere... imho.

As to the 5c button, that is just the lands on the barrel being pushed into the metal at an angle instead of head on. This is one of the reasons that the Broughton barrels have been so successful. Most other buttoned barrels have the lands straight out from the theoretical center of the bore; however, the 5c button, as I understand it, turns the lands at an angle. It should make for easier buttoning... not as much pressure needed to make the rifling, and it should make the bore easier to clean.

Thought this would help.

Coach

edit... seems like there may have been another owner of the business between Mr. Broughton and Mr. Richards. Foggy old memory, its just too hard to remember.

Coach

LIke other post said, there are many good barrels aftermarket, its a tough choice. Kinda a Ford versus Dodge thing which is better, same for barrels. Is Lilja or Shilen or Hart or Schneider better? Anyway, I also went through the same situation you are, which is best. I called or emailed most of the custom barrel folks, I ended up sending my Model 700 to Shilen Custom Barrels for one of their select match grade barrels, not saying these guys are the best but I couldn't find anyone that said anything bad about them. Plus, they so far have had the best customer service of all the ones i called. I asked a lot of stupid questions and Bill at Shilen always was kind enough to answer and explain, plus he gave me some good info on things to do or not do and save my money. You might give them a call, great company to work with. Good luck on your choice, whatever you end up with, it will be much better than factory.

I've tried most of them and my picks are Lilja and Shilen. but be sure you have a pro gunsmith do the work, and if he doesn't want to tight chamber it he's not a pro. I can't stress that enough, it was always a crap shoot to see if they shot good until I started getting them match chambered, the brass last longer too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom