RIFLE SCOPES

ruthunter

HEY GUYS JUST WANTED TO HEAR DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON WHAT SCOPE I SHOULD BUY FOR AN UP COMING WHITETAIL DEER HUNT.I WAS OUT SCOUTING TODAY AND IT LOOKS LIKE MY AVERAGE SHOT IS GOING TO BE BETWEEN 300 AND 500 BASED ON THE DEER I SEEN TODAY. I WILL BE USING EITHER A 270 OR A 7MM.I WAS THINKING ABOUT A SCOPE THAT WOULD GO TO 18-20 POWER ANY THOUGHTS.

Even if I could afford Swarovski, I think I would go Leupold. For scopes anyway. Leupold has top notch CS, and their riflescopes are second to none. I used a Swaro spotting scope once though. Holy Crap! There is no comparison, I think. mtmuley

I used to think the same way until I bought my first Swarovski AV. when I bought mine they weren't all that much more money but now with the value of the dollar against the euro they're way higher. I can't say the cost can be justified but they're lighter and brighter without a doubt, I've compared them side by side many times. for the money Leupold is the best scope on the market in my opinion, I can't make myself buy another scope in Leupold's price range just because it might be as good.

IMO, a 12x varible is more than enough to handle any wants up to and past 500yds. If your stuck on a 18x though, go for it!

Two of my most dependable and best shooters are sporting Burris Signature series scopes. I'm completely happy with them.

I've always believed in good glass but some budgets only go so far and "if" that's the case here... I suggest your best glass be your bino's, then your spotter or your scope depending if you use a spotting scope a lot or not. I use my rifle scope for very little other than putting the x where i feel needed to get my hit. Most mid priced, 3-$600., scopes will do the job and when mounted correctly, will give years of excellent dependable service.

Joey

Neither one. If you have to come on this forum and ask other hunters what scope you need for taking 300-500 yard shots, and you indicate you are considering what is more of a varmit scope in the power range you stated, you need not worry about what caliber to shoot.
I am not trying to bust your chops, but it is very obvious that you have not done enought practice shooting at extended ranges. You would have too great of a chance to wound a game animal at long range instead of being able to make a humane kill of that game animal.
Most hunters who practice enought to shoot at 300-500 yards will know that a good quality scope in the 3X9 or 4X12 power is more then sufficent to take big game at that range. Why short change you rifle's ability to take the fast short range shots due to choosing a scope that has too much power for most of the hunting you will be using it for.
Both of the calibers you mentioned will cleanly harvest deer at 500 yards if the shot placement is correct. It does appear that you do not know this, and coupled with your scope questions and the one you suggested, you have not done enought shooting at those long ranges and I suggest you reconsider until you can become more proficient shooting at those ranges and not do your practice on live game animals.
Like I said, I am not trying to bust your chops, or insult you, just trying to give you some sound advice on making you a responsible hunter towards the game animals you hunt.
Good luck on your hunt and sneak a little closer if possible.

RELH

RELH- I RESPECT YOUR OPINION ON THE SUBJECT I JUST SIMPLY ASKED FOR OPINIONS ON WHICH SCOPE I SHOULD BUY TO UPGRADE THE ONES I HAVE ON NOW AND YES I KNOW BOTH CALIBERS WILL TAKE DOWN A DEER I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD GATHER OPINIONS ON WHICH ONE MOST PEOPLE FAVORED FOR WHITETAIL HUNTING.

Snipers in the Armed Forces shoot out to 1000 yards(.308) and 1600 yards(.50SASR) and they are only using a maximum of 12 power scope and I think there's probably a reason for that. Stick with the lower power scope, just because it's "closer" in your reticle does not mean you can hit it. I'll never take a shot at an animal more than 350. I know that is my range I am comfortable with. I live in the praries of NE where you can shoot as far as you want, but never had to shoot more than 325. Just get closer. Just my opinion from experience.

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom