rifles, is lighter better

Handwerk

As I look at my rifles ( which are mostly sakos) I wonder if the current trend to lighter and lighter rifles is a good thing. I always thought an 8 1/2- 9 lbs (scoped) rifle was a nice weight and not bad to carry on hikes and easier to shoot well, but all the talk nows seem to be to lighter rifles. Is that extra pound or so really slowing down the average hunter?

Both of my main hunting rifles weigh less than 7lbs field ready. I'm a pre-64 70 nut and hunted with them for years but after hunting with a light weight I'd never go back. if you road hunt or stay close to the road maybe it doesn't matter to you but the only guys I know who don't like light guns never had one. would you rather pack a bull barrel varminter all day than your sporter? it's about the same thing switching to a light weight. there's only one draw back and that's price, most of the customs like a Bansner Sheep Hunter or Rifles inc will run you $2500-$5000 , but the Weatherby ultralight does look great for the money. some are going to say 2lbs wont matter to me but it's not the amount of weight as much as where it is, if it was on your back that may be true but in your arms it's much more of a load. if you still don't believe me try it, you'll like it.

I recently bought a Tikka T3 lightweight.It's lighterweight is VERY noticable compared to my trusty model 70.

1 or 2 lbs is a huge difference when your trekking a couple miles or more a day.

beavis.gif

I like the light weight rifles, but not that much more... I pack em along ways and to be honest if its under 9 pounds I really don
t notice all that much difference.

Hey Bucksnort,
What caliber did you get that in? I'm looking at T3 in 300 wsm. I held one at the gun store & it's pretty light, I think 6.5 lbs. I'm not sure what my 30.06 weighs but it sure seemed like a lot more. The 1st thing I thought about the T3 was "Whoa this is sweet"

I love how some guys will fork out 2-3k for a "lighter" hunting rifle to save 1 pound, but htey wont lay off the donuts to lose 50! Funny. But really, it all depends on your personal hunting style.

KNOPHISH,

I bought the 270wsm. Awesome caliber.With a few load testing I have a load for it that is less than 1/2" @ 100 yards.You can't go wrong with one of these rifles.

beavis.gif

257, If your hunting style dosen't include road hunting or tree stands it's worth every penny. when I was in my 20's I thought just loose some wieght fat a##. now I'm in my 40's and wised up a little. as I said before a couple pounds in your hands is a lot different than on your body, like 80lbs in your pack is better than 80lbs in your arms.

huntindude

I just bought a winchester model 70 super shadow in .243 wssm . I bought it for 399.00 at walmart so I think I got a good deal , better so because my daughter can handle it better than my 06 or .270 . Monday I went to Sportsmans to look for a better scope than what it came with and decided to change the stock on it too. I asked the guys there at Sportsmans if all winchester model 70s' were the same as far as mounting to after market stocks . I got different answers , I was told as long as the stock referanced the model 70 short action , it would mount solid to my hardware (barrel & receiver) . Since you have some knowledge of winchesters I was hoping you could shed some light and help me out ....NMHUNTNUTT

Personally, I like the heavier guns. I have two Springfield custom rifles built by my father that both weigh between 10 LBS and 11 LBS, as best I can weigh on the bathroom scales. One rifle is in .25-06 the other in .30-06 (a "sporterized" .30-06 Springfield is the most accurate description in that case). I like the fact that the extra weight dampens the recoil of these rifles, even though these are not reputed to be "heavy recoil" cartridges. I plan to do a backpack cow elk hunt this October in SW Colorado, above 10,000 feet. Maybe I will change my thinking after that hunt, but I suspect not. As one poster said, what is the difference of carrying it around your belly versus on a sling or in your hand? If I like the cow elk hunting -- this is a first time trip -- I'm thinking about getting a Winchester .338 Mag, and I'm pretty sure I'll want to have some mass in that rifle to dampen out the recoil.

Last year I switched to a light rifle, Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. I absolutely love it! This particular rifle likes 180gr accubonds in the Federal Premium line. I have a tendency to hike long distances every day and the lighter rifle certainly has made a difference for me.

NMHUNTNUTT1,
Most of my savy is on pre-64 and early post 70's but the super shadow is a new model. It looks to me like any short action sporter weight stock should fit but you better check that out, wish I could be more help.

I have found that the lighter rifles have more kick, and are harder to steady, especially after you just ran up the rigde to get a shot. a little weight helps me steady up and hold the target better. just my opinion..

Nate

my 30-06 is a remington mountain rifle and it is a light SOB, with 180 loads, it knocks the snot out of me!

on the other hand, my custom 270wsm based on a mauser action with a thumhwhole stock weighs a ton and i carry it while couse hunting and it is comfortable. it also dampens a lot of the recoil and it shoots very well.
Casey

If recoil is a problem just put a brake on . My Rifles Inc. LW 70 in .300 Win wieghs about 7 lbs field ready and I don't like brakes so I don't use one, but it kicks. I'm pretty good size but I guess a small person may not like it. lets face it you pack a gun a lot more than you shoot it. to anyone wanting to try a light wieght gun don't let recoil scare you away, cowboy up or use a brake is my 2 cents.

I have a left handed Weatherby 257 mag in ultra light on order. I figure it can be my mountain rifle. I am also trading my 270 Wby Mag accumark with a buddy for his 300 Wby Mag accumark. I'll tell you what I think after next season.

firstcoueswas80 , who made your stock ? I looked into new thumbhole offered by Cabelas in a wood laminate , called yesterday and its on back order in all models. I may not change this stock , I don;t want to make the buttend any longer as my daughter is small framed , the whole reason for shoosing this rifle ......Larry

NMHUNTNUTT
Try BOYD'S, I think they are in Mitchell, SD. they provide lots of laminate stocks including thumbhole models for a variety of actions.

A nine pound rifle never kept anybody from getting up the mountain. Carry what you like to shoot. Not the other way around.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom