Riggins whitetail advice

nvhunter

My 13 yo son has a Jr mentor tag for Idaho and he is going with his Grandpa and they traded thier tags for whitetail tags around Riggins, hopeing to get him his first whitetail.
They do know the area somewhat because we have had family hunt that area before.
Im just asking if anyone would be willing to share some areas we might try. He just wants a nice buck (dont we all), but in honesty would probably shoot pretty much the first buck he saw.
I used to live in Idaho and Oregon till i graduated, but i personally have never been there.
Thanks in advance

Well depending on unit (don't have the regs currently in front of me) I would suggest looking into old and new Florence. Its been a while since I've been up there but seemed to always see whitetail. Its a cool place with mining claims and cabins and dredges all over so pretty swampy and the moose and whitetails love it. Its a good all around hunting spot but expect to see or hear wolves close by. Last time I was up there, elk hunting after I filled my deer, I saw s few wolves and lots of sign but I also seen the biggest whitetail buck I've ever seen on the same weekend trip. Plan on being cold and bring extra boots and socks. Feel free to pm for more info. Good Luck!!!

Try Race creek towards the end of the season.You should be able to get a nice one if you put your time in and definatly bring rain gear.Good luck I hope he gets what hes looking for.

thanks guys! Im going to have to get me a map before he goes (9th nov) so i can find where im going.
I hope he finds something also! Funny, he's only 13 but has a real sense about what hunting and family are about, he wants to use his Grandpas old 30-30 to shoot it. His GPa gave him his old shotgun for xmas last year and he had him carve his initials in it.

sounds like a great kid. wish i had some super awesome area to share but it was allready mentioned. good luck !!!

Talked to dad some more he does know about Race creek and a couple more spots. Thanks everyone for the advice, i hope he finds a decent buck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom