Rim Fire Perimeter 8-24-2013

So.....who here is affected by this fire? The smoke itself must be terrible for those living around the fire. They say it could burn for months.

Eel

I live about 125 air miles southeast of this fire and the smoke is unbelievable!......in the afternoon.

It is clear in the morning, but when the winds shift at about 1pm, our valley fills up with smoke.

The fire will NOT be out, under the best case scenario, before October and since we are still early in the fire season, it could get worse before it gets better.

At this point, the Anderson Flat area is still accessible from the Eastern side and with luck and weather cooperation, most of the area will be spared. However, I will not be surprised if the State or Feds close the area, to any type of recreation, for the remainder of the summer.

Just as an aside, there is actually very little "habitat" suffering from this fire so far. Most of it is in areas of steep, rocky ravines and canyons, where animals don't generally go. Food and water is scarce in there and the terrain is brutal.

Not saying that some meadows and open valleys are not scorched, but for the most part, it won't affect much, in the way of game animals.

It is going to be WAY ugly before it is over.

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

I'm affected from the standpoint of I drew a tag for the Anderson Hunt. As Nickman said they may very well just keep the forest closed this winter so not sure where that will leave me in the end.

The jawbone winter range, critical to the Yosemite herd is torched....as well as other lesser known historical wintering areas in the Drew Meadow area. As for Anderson Flat proper. The fire hasn't got there yet. (See today's map at www. mymotherlode.com) But it has burned a significant portion of the special G-37 hunt zone which includes area south of Hwy 120 like Packard Canyon and Pilot Ridge. Also, something to note...the area is NOT accessible (even from the east) due to forest closure in place and closure of the Tioga rd in the park) Can't imagine the forest closure being lifted anytime soon if at all this fall. I live in the Soulsbyville area east of Sonora and I can tell you that the shear massiveness of the affected area is almost inconceivable (Over 200,000 acres / 300+ sq miles to date). Although fire is a necessary component to the ecosystem, I can say that due to the historically low moisture levels and tremendous amount of fuels available that this fire has burned VERY hot and made many crown-runs. Sure there are pockets that may have experienced low intensity ground fire but I think that's more of an exception than the rule. If we get a hard winter it will affect the food availability for the migratory herds that utilize the area. But remember, it's not just a question of the availability of adequate food but also what is referred to as thermal cover. The loss of this cover can have devastating effects on fawn survival which is the key to long tern population health. Needless to say, this is a catastrophe that is by no means over yet. Only time will tell regarding its long term affect on our deer...but, right now, it isn't looking good.
-HS

not sure where your info came from but i live in this county and it is bad , and the habitat is gone , very devastated in spots. critical winter ground looks like moon scape

went into the high country yesterday and it like your in a fog bank that burns your eyes and chokes you. it's very bad everywhere.

I well know what you guys are going thru with the smoke. Last year we had a major fire all the way up to the hi-way along the shores of Lake Almanor and it went on and on because of the rugged and steep terrain for over a month. We were a dozen miles and straight down wind of the prevailing, you could hardly see more than across the street for weeks at a time. It sucks, stay out of the worst of it if you can.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I would not be worried unless you hold a late season migration tag. The area burned is in the Yosemite herd migration route and the area of the Anderson flat Tag. IMHO, this will be bad because not of the fire itself but the road closures, campground closures and the fire fighting equipment in that area...
Stop Global Whining

>I would not be worried unless
>you hold a late season
>migration tag. The area burned
>is in the Yosemite herd
>migration route and the area
>of the Anderson flat Tag.
>IMHO, this will be bad
>because not of the fire
>itself but the road closures,
>campground closures and the fire
>fighting equipment in that area...
>
>Stop Global Whining

You dont know what you are talking about. A huge portion of the huntable land in D6 is accessed through the closed area's...and by closed areas I mean the whole Miwuk, Groveland, and part of the Summit Ranger districts. As of right now about 225k acres have burned but I bet more than 500k is closed and will remain so untill the fire is declared "OUT" not "contained" which will be when the snow flies. There aint gonna be much to hunt in D6 this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom