road hunting

4x4elk

ok we've all heard of the hard work behind hunting, but i know it is for i have packed sevral out myself but how many of you have taken the easy way out and lucked out and killed a good one from the road or a two track?? i did last year i had all three kids and my wife with me. i decided openign day to drive a few ridge tops and see what was out there. guess what i killed a 170 class muley! wow couldn't believe it and yes its my biggest one to date!!! so lets here it and be honest.......

I've road hunted once or twice, never have gotten a decent sized road to speak of, mostly they are tough as nails and taste a little gritty to me.

Mike
at235.gif

my dad killed about a 270 inch 5x5 while road hunting a few years back. it was weird we werent even really huntgin, my grandpa and i had already killed animals so he wasnt going to shoot one unless it was bigger than what we had. he glassed it up about 1/2 mile off the road and stalked it. all the elk we have killed have been within driving less that 300 yards from the road, we have gotten lucky
casey

Shot many moose from logging roads here in B.C., the 2 biggest being 41" and 42". The best moose in the world are the ones you can back up to and hit with the bumper!!!! Biggest muley I've taken from the road is a 145" 4 point. Biggest black bear was 6 1/2 footer. Covering ground on logging roads can be a very effective way to hunt here, not the most exciting, but I tend to go with whatever works the best!!

Chris

I live in Northern California and hunt Blacktails on Forest Service land, so I guess I don't understand the question. You mean there is another way to hunt?:)

Seriously, some of the best bucks are taken from the road. If they decide to move and you are driving by....hey, it's like a free gift. It's happened to me a few times. All of my better bucks have been the hard way though.

Unless your wearing blinders, anyone that travels mountain roads for very long has seen game off to the side, I'm allways suspicious that it's one of those stuffed animals that the fish & game set up to ticket people for shooting from a road.
The Fish & Game did the same thing with a bald eagle here in our vally & they were hidding in wait, when some teenage yahoo's came by & bum-rushed the stuffed eagle grabbing it & proceeding to ring its neck. by the time the officer stopped them, they had inflicted some damage on the decoy. The officer could not charge them for anything since there wasn't any laws broken. I laughed my ass off at this story.

B_F_E

That's funny all right! I've never read anything in the Regs saying it's illegal to choke an artificial Bald Eagle!LOL

Steve

I do my share of walking and my share of road hunting
In the last four years 3 out of four buck have come from road hunting. I shot a big 3 point 21 in wide 21 tall and really heavy. Not only that it was a very large body deer and very mature. He tipped the scales at 298 lbs It was the last day of the deer hunt. little early for the deer to be in rut but this guy was ripe. His legs were wet from his sent glands down.
i have also had a chances at some big four points but try and get far enough of the road to shot some of these animal gets a bit difficalt.

This year i am planing on walking my butt off. I have located a large group of buck in a small area. one looks to be over 30 wide. I'm hoping he will stay for a few more weeks.

good luck to everyone on their hunts this year.

cklspener

Dumb question, but are you folks talking about non public roads? In this area shooting from a road is a sure way to end up in jail.

What is meant by "road hunting?" Driving along until you see a game animal, getting out of the vehicle, stalking up on the game animal, away from the road, and then shooting? This is what I imagine. I'm not a game warden -- people have already raised this question and I'm guessing you're just talking about scouting or spotting game from the vehicle as opposed to going on foot and waiting in ambush at a ground blind or a tree stand or something.

The guy I saw doing it in Idaho this weekend while moose hunting actually had his gun barrel sticking out his window while driving down the road. I kind of thought that was obviuos. Of course when I went further up the road and met two trucks with hounds, with their strike dogs on the hood, I thought that was even more obvious since I was hunting unit one where no houndhunting is allowed. Go Figure!

Boneaddict...unless the moose hunter was on a "two track" road I think he was hunting illegally. Might even be illegal on a two track. I think it is a little early for the hounds to be out, I thought that they couldn't run them during a big game season (and archery is still open statewide).

My point is that I really hope you called the fish and game on these guys. My good friend is a fish cop in SE Idaho and he will tell you the main way he catches poachers is through tips from the public. No issue is too small for him to investigate.

I personally have no problem if you want to drive around all day. And if you see the critter your after, get out of the rig, get off the road and shoot. Thats fine with me, but driving around with the barrel sticking out the window? Give me a break, I wonder what the tourists thought of that? My rancher friends used to call those rigs "porcupines", they would see cars driving the roads around their ranch with so many barrels sticking out the windows they looked like quills! LOL, really funny except now those ranches are locked up tight and absolutely no trespassing now allowed. Thanks porcupines!

Where I hunt the terrain varies tremendously, heavy forest in the west to open desert type stuff to the east. Road hunting is very productive in the heavy timbered portion via logging roads. I also put out lots of "foot work" in the open stuff. But i'm like a lot of you out there, hey if its there..........it's all about the opportunity. I don't see anything wrong with it, so long as you go about it in the legal manner (getting off of the road when it comes time to shoot).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom