Rochelle Hills, Wyoming - Unit 113

• Thread starter parrotheadhunter
  • Start date
P

parrotheadhunter

Brother drew an elk tag in this coveted unit. Plan on making a scouting trip in 1-2 weeks. The hunt starts in early November. Any information on elk densities, places to stay, etc., would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I hunted deer in that area in 2004. I didn't even know there were elk in that area till I found them. I saw more big bulls than I ever saw anywhere outside of Yellowstone.

The USFS office in Douglas was very helpful to us on our trip.

I don't know if its a secret or not, but the coal mines in that area do a whole lot of reclamation work around their mines - meaning they plant and irrigate vegetation to get it re-established. The elk (and deer) love to stay up in the hills above those mines and go down to them at night to graze. I'd suggest you look around the perimeter of some the mines. Also, we found elk on the extreme northern end of the Rochelles.

304099.jpg

Chambero,

Thanks for the information. The unit is only open to hunting every three years so there are probably some large elk in the unit, plus they only issue 25-30 tags.

How large were the bulls in 2004?

I have a buddy that shot a 413gross bull out of that unit the first year they opened to hunting, back in 97? He did have private land access, but there are definately some 380+ bulls around.

Meadecreek,

Do you know of any landowners who would allow access in this unit? My brother is willing to pay trespass fees if necessary.

I couldn't begin to guess score, I've seen enough elk to know what a big one looks like. I saw very large 6x6's or better in three different places on public land and probably 30-40 bulls total in three days total of looking for deer.

304099.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom