Rookie moose success

zia

My neighbor and I drew the 2 non-resident tags for this Idaho unit. We left the high desert mountains of New Mexico and headed north not knowing what to expect, this was our first moose hunt. I can't believe how thick the forest is in that country! We ended up voice calling them in, my 45" bull to 23 yards and my neighbors 46" bull to 22 yards. Great hunt!
Picture031.jpg

Picture044.jpg

You are doing a pretty good job of hunting mixed bags of game this year, hope all of the hunts are a success like your Moose & Elk hunts so far. Thanks for the pictures too.

Brian

That's right, the first shot was a broadside double lung shot. As he ran away I kept shooting, hit him in the chest again, he kept on truckin. Last shot was when he finally stopped, I aimed for the shoulder, pulled the trigger right as he looked back and hit the nose. I tried to follw the advice I used to give elk hunters I guided.....keep shooting until they're down!

Zia
I still can't get the image so it must be my set-up. Thanks for trying and congrats on what sounds like two fine moose

Very cool, congrats to you and your neighbor. Looks like you 2 had your work cut out for you getting those moose out of there.

Right on! That's a pretty big gamble coming all the way up from NM not really knowing what to expect. Looks like it definately paid off for the two of you. How far up in ID were you? Pretty tough tag to draw for a non-resi??

We were in northern Idaho hunting national forest and camping at a forest service campground. We called in several other bulls, one to 15 yards we still couldn't shoot because of the thick brush! I think there were 2 non-resident tags so we were lucky but somebody has to draw. We had done our homework before we left New Mexico, talked to past license holders, biologists etc. There are quite a few people in those mountains at that time of year...archery elk hunters, grouse hunters, bear hunters, loggers etc and we got good information by being polite and having friendly conversations with fellow hunter we met in the woods or at gas stations. Everybody was very nice and happy to help the "loco" moose hunters from another land.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom