Rookie season, lessons learned.

icgamer

Well my sons and I drew deer tags this year and the hunt was tough.

Taking schedules into account only 2 out of the 4 of us could go out all five days with one kid only getting 1 day out.

We learned alot, saw few deer and the one son that stuck it out all five days ended up dropping a little forky standing in tall grass at 213 yards after we closed in from a bit over 300.

As it turns out, that little forked buck was literally the only legal deer we saw all hunt (we were in unit 32).

Now we son plenty of doe, a spiked buck or two running with them (along with the forked buck in question), and of course all manner of other wildlife...damn so many pronghorn.

Biggest let down was a bachelor group of 6-8 heavy bodied bucks, six to eight pointers, all running about 30-40 yards along the road...all on private land...sigh.

At least we got something for the freezer, and I did find some awesome sheds, and hopefully we'll draw again next year and plan ahead a bit better.

It seemed like everywhere we'd scouted, the deer decided to just run next door to private land, lol.

Oh well, I got an elk cow tag in two weeks and thinking about piggy-backing an OTC Barbary Sheep on top of that if the cow is bagged early.

Still had lots of fun with the kids and at the end of the day, that was worth taking the time off work.

---here's looking forward to the cow hunt...and next year...

That's what it is all about. Learning and having fun with family and friends in the field. The harvest is just that much more of a bonus. Enjoy the adventure.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom