route into 16a from L.C

nmhuntr

I am pulling an 18' toy hauler into 16a for an Elk hunt in October. What is the best route from Las Cruces to take? If I go though Winston is there more paved road? I am looking at hunting the eastern side of 16a. I know I have paved road to Reserve if I go that way. My TH is lifted but no reason to beat the crap out of it either.

Any experience shared is appreciated

Greg

The road through Winston is paved almost all the way to beaverhead. After that it is a pretty good dirt road. If you go straight north out of Winston, the road turns dirt about 8-10 miles out of Winston on your way towards Dusty, but is wide and flat all the way to your turn on the SE corner of 16E. After that it is a little rougher on the way to 16A.

Cory

If you are hunting the eastern side of 16A I would take I25 to TorC. Just north of T or C is the cut off to NM52 which will take you to Winston (last place to gas up but I would recommend filling up in T or C then just the quick top off in Winston, Prices). About 10-11 miles north of Winston there will be a road, NM59, that cuts west to Beaverhead which is paved most of the way there and is a good road almost all the way to the Bursum Road. We have hauled a trailer in there before without any troubles.
Good luck on your hunt.

Carlos

I took a drive in this weekend. Went in from Exit 83 through Winston and Beaverhead over past Snow Lake and out through Reserve. Looks like east of Snow lake it could be an interesting drive in and out if wet weather. Still don't know where I will hunt but once I decide I will likely find a camping spot in the general area and drive in by jeep or quad. Grass was green all the way through which was nice to see. I didn't leave the road and it was through the middle of the day but did spot a few deer and a bear. Over all nice and educational trip.

Thanks for the direction and insight provided.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom