Ruby Horseback Trip Begins

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
So it begins... Driving through The badlands of NV heading to the Rubys Mtn Wilderness. Three of us will be dropped into a drainage for a week with high hopes of putting an arrow in a mountain monarch. Got the bows dialed in, all the gear and fresh enthusiasm to burn thousands of calories in the quest of a velvet horned native. Here's to a little luck!

3644image.jpg

Fun stuff! Keep us posted on what you're seeing and how you're doing. Good luck!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Good luck to you guys. Had a lot of rain here lately with a 10 day forecast of sunny and 80's. I have the muzz tag here and am getting excited. Had the late archery here 3 yrs in a row. Kind of thinking this might be a great year for me. Funny, its the only tag I have. I think you guys are in for a great hunt. Let us know how it goes.

Lookin Good! I will be up there early rifle. Willing to share the packer you guys are using? I look forward to reading this thread!

2289image.jpg

First full day of hunting my cousin stalked this buck. Got within 18 yards but the brush the buck was bedded under didn't provide a shot. Finally the buck heard something and blew out.

There was a 21" fork about 60 yards away that didn't flee. He stalked with 35 yards. The un suspecting buck got up and stood broadside. His arrow flew right over his back. Case of buck fever??? Just maybe a little.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-14 AT 00:32AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/2908image.jpg

Some 15 bucks in a pretty safe a alpine bowl just doing there thing. Easy to spot almost impossible to kill

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-14 AT 00:38AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/1291image.jpg

On the third day my one and only stalk had my 55 yards from this buck. He step out of the bed, walked up and left over the log and into an opening. I had ranged a 45 yard rock and 60 yard pins tree. He walked between and froze in a clearing. I released with my 50 yard pin. "Wack"!! The buck did a classic leg kick and bailed out of site. I didn't see where the arrow struck.

I radioed my spotters to let them know the news. An hour later I approached the spot if impact to find blood splattered all over the rock 5 yards from the spot I last seen the buck

I walked up to the impact site, there was blood all over, a little over one hour from the shot, we started the trail. It leaded about 200 yards down hill, to where we found the buck had bedded, good blood but he continued on. He turned up hill, bedded two more times where we found more pools of blood. After about 1/2 mile of trailing the buck we were coming up on 5pm. We decided to give the buck the night. We hiked back to our spike camp, picked up our gear and headed closer to where we had last marked the trail. It was cloudy before we went to bed and I prayed for no rain that evening. In the morning at first light, we picked up the blood trail. The buck moved horizonitally for a few hundred yards then headed towards the creek, after about 1/3 mile, the blood trail started to get very light and eventually we lost it.... I spent the remaining 4 days of hunt looking for eagles/ravens/coyotes but the buck never turned up. Thankful for the opportunity but a very painful experience.

Sorry that you lost the buck. Ive had it happen to me before. Very disheartening. But on the bright side it sounds like you had some good hunting. Wish I could of met up with you but I was busy in area 7. Hopefully next time. fatrooster.

What a disappointment. With luck you'll get after him again next year. It sounds as though he might just pull through.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom