Ruby mountain ?'s

southslope82

So what is the smallest buck that you would settle for if you had this tag? How long is a guy looking at before he can draw a permit? What would you say the average buck is on this unit??

The below buck was taken on the last day of the season on a 20 day trip. I only drew in the Ruby's twice and never did get a really good one. I was there when a few other bigger bucks were taken, but not by me. This one was busy chasing off 5 or 6 other bucks from a very hot doe. Their activity allowed me to sneak in to about 300yds...

I'd suggest taking a buck similar to this if you see one. He's only about 25" but fairly heavy and was the biggest bodied buck i've ever taken. There are bigger bucks but very tough to come by. Personally, i'd not consider shooting one much smaller, then again, i've been at it awhile now. My other ruby Mtn buck had more points but again taken on the last day and the same class of buck.

By the way, the Brit was let out of the truck after the buck was dead and down.

Joey

491806fc32e43ef2.jpg

Well if your a non res 2-4 years. they give out the most tags in the state for that area. it is straight up and straight down some of the hardest places to get to are in 10. there are some huge bucks in there you just need to find them. as far as what I would settle for it would depend on the day.

Like they said above there are some really nice bucks up there but it is hard to hunt. And contrary to popular belief you do not need to get to the top of the mountain to get on nice one. If you want to get after it with a bow a guy could probably get a non-res tag every year and you would about have free run of the mountain.

Thanks for the info man the buck in the picture is alot bigger buck than what I was thinking of for a last day ruby mountain deer I would be tickled pink to look at a deer like that let alone be able to have a chance at harvesting one.

Here's the other last day buck i mentioned. he has a 25" main frame with 3 cheaters on the one side and one similar that's not showing on the other. Not a monster buck but better than at least 50 other bucks i saw on that trip. If you want a good one, first you find the deer, then you pass on all the 20-24 inchers. That's how it went on these hunts until i was running out of season, but that was some years ago and we had excellent access that's just not available anymore.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/491b80626c1d7e81.jpg
Good luck!
Joey

Man them are some nice deer let alone last day deer so i take it basically what you are saying is that the average bucks to see are the 20-24 inch bucks?? I understand that it is up to the tag holder of course but what would it have to be before you actually pulled the trigger on a buck on the rubys even if it was the first day?? Would you smoke a 26-28'' 4 point with good forks or try to hold off??? Sorry for all the questions man I am just really really interested in this area..

Kinda hard question for me to answer. I've been on at least 20 different out of state hunts yet have never yet seen a live monster buck. I've passed on two bucks that had at least a 30" spread, i passed on a very heavy and tall buck with at least 7 or 8 points on each side cause he was inside his ears. Both of these bucks i did take, i would have passed earlier in the season if i had a good look at them. I did pass up bigger, like those mentioned above, but not much bigger.

Sometime you don't have long to make up your mind and in those times i've found you should always pass, yes, tough to do. It's tough to pass but if there are other bucks around and plenty of cover to hide the bigger boys, it's what you have to do to get a real nice one. They all look big running up the hill but i'm always looking for bigger than what i've all ready got or if my dreams came true, one that would go in Boone and Crockett All-Time Record Book.

The average buck i've seen in the Ruby's would be about 22" either 3x3, 3x4, or 4x4. I don't count the little guys, nice to see but of no interest. Your last question of would i shoot a 26-28" with good forks, If i was in the same section of country i used to hunt. No! unless he was nice and heavy and real tall. I have seen 3 of my Uncle's bucks, one i was just one ridge over, all 3 of them are way over 30" and heavy, Toads! I zigged when i should have zagged, i guess... Good country and a little luck. I've had the country, i'm waiting on the luck.

Good luck
Joey

My experiences may be different than others in the Ruby's but I have seen few deer, but the ones that I have seen have been solid bucks. I hunted the archery season 2 years in a row (2006-2007) and the only forky I saw was up on top, apart from that I have seen nothing but 4 points and one 3, the largest of which was about 26-28in. which I was able to get well within bow range of but due to a stupid mistake I was unable to put on the ground. In any case, shoot what you will be happy with, and for the most part, there are more than enough great bucks up there to go around if you are willing to put in the work.

I have hunted the rubys about every year for the past 15 years, In my opionion the type and quality of deer you see are based on a few factors.
There are 5 seasons in the rubys, early archery, muzzleloader, early rifle, late rifle, late archery. most Non resident hunters have the best draw odds in early archery or early rifle. I personally will never hunt the early rifle because there are 2140 tags, so finding an area that is not overrun with hunters is tuff to do. Plus the big boys a hard to find due to the pressure. The early archery is the better bet to go however get your boots on because it is high steep tuff country. In archery season I would settle for a nice 4 point. The late Rifle is the season for the better bucks but it will take a couple years for a NR to draw a tag. I would hold off for something over 24 inch 4x4. The late archery is also great and would probably take anything over 24 inches. Also the two late seasons can occasionally get a nice migration run through the rubys when we have an early winter. I counted one year a herd of 85 deer single file move through a canyon. Hope this info helps a bit. I am heading out there this weekend for my late archery tag, I will let you know what I see and take.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-08 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]this buck here was passed on 3 times by the hunter before he ended up shooting him he wanted 30" or better trying to win a jeep in the big buck contest in Winnemucca he out of area 6 but area 10 is the same way pass on till you find one you want to put on the ground

491cba680d1267e2.jpg

GONHUNTIN, That, is one heck of a buck!! Looks to be about 28" and all the bells and whistles. I believe i'd be happy to shoot that buck thinking he had a good chance to make Book. Dandy!! Thanks!!

Joey

I scouted and hunted the Rubys this year. I passed on a 23" 4 point at 30 yards, missed a 25" buck at 350 yards, helped shoot a 22" 4x4 at 350 yards, missed a 4x3 23" buck at 390 yards, and saw a lot of small bucks.

The Rubys are huge and steep. I hunt the backcountry in 4 states and I would say that the Rubys are some of the steepest. I get in about 3-5 miles and camp. I hunt from 4am to 10pm and hunt from the top of the peaks to the bottom of the canyons. I hike at least 5-15 miles per day. My point is that if there is a good deer in the area we usually see it.

There are not a lot of good bucks there. Some of the pics above are obviously older pics. There are hunters all over the Early Rifle hunt. They give out too many tags on this hunt. The bucks are there and they get away so they keep giving out tags but there is a group of guys on every ridge and in every canyon.

I would rate this hunt a 7 out of 10.

Pro's: Good deer herd, beautiful country, great time of year to hunt on Early rifle hunt, fair quality of bucks.

Con's: Too many hunters, rarely see a great buck, not a lot of country to get away from other hunters because it is up one side and down the other.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-08 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-08 AT 09:38?AM (MST)

Here is the buck I put two bullet in. My buddy finished it off.

2008Nevada010.jpg

I've been hunting the Ruby's since 1994, when ever I get a tag! This year was the best for my son and I. We shot two nice bucks, but really didn't see allot of deer. In the past we would see 100 or so deer a day with a few nice bucks, meaning something in the 20-24 inch range. The early season is tuff, with allot of hiking, hot weather, and a ton of hunters. This past season we saw about 25 or so hunters in an area that could be glassed from one vantage point. Thankfully they came as we were heading out with my sons buck. When I relocated to another area where I took mine, I only saw 5 or so hunters. You can road hunt the area, but the enjoyment would be to hunt the hilltops. There is hunters on ever ridgetop, so you won't be alone. I only apply for the unit so as to get to hunt every few years. There is better units with better deer in Nevada than the Ruby's. If it wouldn't take so long to draw I would try for other areas. Easier to draw harder to hunt!!!!!

So If there are hunters on every ridge are there roads everywere too?? Are Atvs welcome or not? I myself have not yet been to the rubys just seen pics and heard stories and it sounds like alot of fun and a great place to soak up some great scenery. From the info that I have gathered I am guessing that most of the area is fairly open with alot of steep hills and open ridges with quakey patches is this right? Spot and stock sounds to be the best method ha?? By the way thanks for the info you guys have already gave!!

not sure where these guys are hunting but you can't get an ATV any where I have been. and most of the hunters are all in the same places. the roads.

There are very few roads and no ATV's. I think hunters are willing to hunt farther and harder these days because they know how hard it can be to get a tag and the better bucks are almost always away from the roads now. I pack in 4 to 6 miles and hunt hard for 5 days at a time. I f you hunt the road you will see many many hunters. If you pack in and hike your tail off you will see many hunters.

As i said, those hunts i took in the Rubies were some years ago and we had Excellent access. In no way can i say how the country hunts now, haven't been there for years and am not accumulating points to hunt it again. In fact, without the access that we had, i probably could not even get within several miles of the drainages that we used to hunt. I used to stay in top shape just to hunt big bucks, nothing for me to start in the flats at dawn and if i wanted to, be on the tops several hours later.

Most of the deer we saw in those days were down on the flats in bitterbrush or some other pocket of their favorite foods at dawn. They would slowly start uphill to eventually bed in the National forest lands Quakie infested north slopes above by 8-9am or so. For a guy to hunt these bucks, he'd have to pack camp in quite a ways from one of the few access roads and pack his deer out same. Very tough hunt for those not in top shape and without permission to hunt private.

Sorry if my story and pic's made it look easy. Maybe in those days it was. I do know that if i could get back in that country... i'd do pretty good... i just know though, that even though i'd like to be able to do it and might think of giving it a try, i don't think my old "filled out" body could.

Joey

Sage, I think your comments are right on. I was adding my perspective not trying to change yours. You have more experience in that area than I do and I have leared from your comments. Thanks for the pics of the awesome bucks! It is fun to see what is in an area I have hunted. Your story and pics did not make it look easy. I just added my thoughts so others would understand the area from multiple perspectives.

I've hunted early rifle, late rifle and late archery. Wanna do early archery to kill a velvet buck. All three hunts are different!

(05) Early rifle was an 11 mile pack in on horses. 25-50 bucks a day. Without quality optics, I feel I was handicaped. Primary reason I bought Swaros after the hunt. Oct 2nd snow storm dumped 22 inches. We dropped down to 5 inch snow and took a couple of 22 inch bucks.

(85) Late rifle was in the 80's and the season ran through Veterans Day 11/11. Took a 25 inch buck. Saw several others about the same. Had to leave on the 8th so my partner could hunt pheasants (sad). Took mine that day.

(04) Late archery was the most frustrating. Tons of bucks. 2 over 30". Really got to see what was in the unit. hard to stalk when you've gotta get by 3-4 herds of does in 18" bitterbrush.

Until I get a few points, unit 10 is always on my app if I'm free during those seasons.

Just got back from the late season archery hunt. Weather was really hot but some bucks were rutting pretty hard. I passed on about 10 bucks a day most of them 3x3 or 4x4's. I pursued a 27 inch 4x5 with a five inch cheater all week long. It had about 19 does with him and I was able to get to about 70 yards until the does busted me on the last day. Harrison Pass had tons of hunters on it but the hunters we talked to said they had seen around 40 bucks a day. I came up a little short on my trophy and will gladly eat tag soup.

I dont know about that. I've got a buddy that has killed a buck up there at Harrison every year for the last 4 or 5 years. I've never seen a deer on that end but I know that they are there.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom