run in with the ranger

teamhoyt

We were up camping on Green mtn this weekend and the kids were riding around on the four wheelers when Mr. Sheriff showed up and threatened tickets for my buddies 9 year old boy and his dad if he caught him driving it again. WTH? I started driving pickups at this age and now days its "for there own good" to keep the kids from enjoying the out door lifestyle so they have more time to get in real trouble I guess. Just venting. I can't beleive what this country is coming to. This is Wyoming not NYC!!

Your lucky you were in WY. In UT they do road block in places during the deer hunt. They ticket minors. They ticket if they don't have a helmet also. Very few warnings.

Read the requirements, and if they were on the USFS or BLM roads, he was correct. Travel plans are established for a reason. They have really begun to enforce it here in Idaho also, as too many kids were getting hurt or killed zooming along on dirt roads with vehicle traffic.

We let them do anything they are big enough and comfortable with, on private property.

http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/Rules/ORVRulesRegs.asp

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-10 AT 02:05PM (MST)[p]This is kind of a tough deal. I know a bunch of different kids (including me back in the day) who have gotten severely hurt riding 4 wheelers (especially the old 3 wheelers) and dirt bikes. We probably turn them loose with them too young.

That being said, my 11 year old and 8 year old ride them, but we use them for pasture spraying. Luckily neither of my boys are daredevils and are pretty careful.

20518Signature.jpg

Check the regs and see if there is a legit reason. On another thought...how about going hiking with the kids instead of ripping around on 4-wheelers and dirt bikes. Good exercise, time to bond and teach, not to mention less noisy and dangerous. Never hurt me any, nor will it my son.

If it's a public road you have to have a driver's license, registration, and proof of automobile insurance by Wyoming Law. Plus a the endorsement to operate an ATV on your D.L.

Was it a Ranger or a Deputy Sheriff? It makes a difference on applicable laws. Obviously, a Ranger can't enforce WY Law, only Federal regulations and laws. You make reference to both in your post.

As long as they had a helmet, who cares. Kids can ride almost any motorcycle or ATV, as long as it's suited to their size. Put them on a machine thats to big and they'll have problems.
I raised four boys, and had quads and motocross bikes for them from the time they were six years old. They couldn't ride without my wife or myself there all the time. Except for hunting and Rodeo those were the best days for me as a dad.
I don't want any of you to get the wrong impression, but in todays nanny state , no matter what , you can't raise your kids right. I'm glad my boys are grown. Theirs to much goverment in our lives now days.

Good luck with your kids.

Thanks

Doug

Look at it from the Sheriff's point of view. He has a job that requires him to enforce the laws. That is what he has sworn to do, like it or not. Had he looked the other way and not said anything he himself would be guilty of Deliberate Indifference. There are liability issues for not acting when you observe these types of situations.

I would be happy that he just gave you a warning and not a ticket. Seems things could have been a-lot more pricey.

"Deliberate Indifference." - you mean like the example obama is setting?

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

Spoke with my neighbor who works with the local trauma doc. Last weekend there were 3 ATV injuries, including a 2 y.o. boy that received cranial injuries even wearing a helmet while sitting in front of his mom (not drunk) who lost contol and hit a tree. Last years July 4, iirc, there were a dozen serious atv injuries near Flagstaff.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

real progress...thanks to the progressives....freedom to hurt yourself is a thing of the past...

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

tough situation. the good ol days are in the past i think the way you were raised will be how you raise your kids and not to say thats wrong most of us on here were driving vehicles at the age of nine but nowadays you gotta follow the rules or they will slap your wrist everytime

Freedom to hurt yourself is ok...I don't mind idiots whacking themselves off, but hurting or endangering your kids is an entirely different matter.

I couldn't agree more wygriz, our kids saftey and my kids safety are the most important thing there is. that we put them in carseats, lock our guns in the case, wear helmets and seatbelts. This was a sheriff that stopped us and I appreciate the fact that hes just doing his job. It is not that, that I have and issue with. It just seams that a weekend in the mountains with the family, in wyoming is the time and place to relax, teach the kids about the outdoors, take them fishing, go on a hike have a bbq and whatever. It is my opinion that there are plenty of more important thing that a sheriff could be doing to protect and serve. For example when I left the mountian that day I had to sit along the highway for over an hour while they paramedics and law enforcement cleaned up from a head on with a fatality. the same sheriff was on the scene, but what if he would've been patrolling the highway, could this have slowed the drivers down and prevented this accident? I doubt it. Everytime we get out of bed we put ourselves and families at some kind of risk. more kids die buckled in a carseat when an adult is driving than ever possible on a four wheeler. your thoughts?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-10 AT 04:19AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-10 AT 11:19?PM (MST)

OK so what if that same Sheriff was patrolling the highway and a little kid somewhere else crashed and got a nastey head injury? Well I guess it would be the "Cops" fault for not enforcing those laws right? Or being everywhere at once?

I hear every night people bitching about the fact they should not have been brought to jail. The charges are to small or they just can't take responsibilty for there own actions. My favorite is "Why don't they catch a real criminal"?

Law enforcment officers are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Always under the watchful eye of the public !!! Dude you got cuaght and let off easy.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom