Russian Boar

Cass

Very Active Member
Well fellas, another christmas has come and gone, and what a christmas it has been. My parents bought me a texas wild boar / Russian boar hunt for february. Me / my dad / my uncle greg / jeff / and a few other people are tagging along as well. Should be an exciting hunt. Question im wondering though is this. The outfitter says to bring a big gun, he told me these things can get to 400 lbs and are meaner than a bear with herpes. So bow or gun guys?

-Cass

c'ASS!!!

I'D USE THE BOW!!!

SHOW THEM YOU AIN'T PUSSFOOTIN AROUND!!!

I'VE SEEN NUGENT TAKE MANY OF THEM WITH HIS FEATHER FLIPPER!!!

YOU SURE AIN'T GONNA LET UNCLE TED OUT DO YA,ARE YA???

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING YOU'RE TOUGH ENOUGH TO TAKE HIM WITH YOUR BOW,I'D ALSO CARRY A BIG KNIFE!!!

I've arrowed quite a few wild boar over the years and found them to be a tough critter that are a blast to hunt. However, maybe your outfitter hunts them with dogs, which is a concern for them at times. Personally, I'd chase them with my bow after confirming with the outfitter it's okay....especially if your stalking them or sitting stands. Besides, anyone can shoot one with a gun! (j/k) :)

BOHNTR )))---------->

>meaner than a bear with
>herpes. So bow or gun
>guys?
>
>
>-Cass

Here's another catchy quote.

"Dumber than a tough guy carrying a bow, while being charged by said herpes bear"

......Use the gun.

Come on C-ass use a pocket knife or spear!!
Eric
deerline.gif

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-06 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]Must be crossed with feral hogs.
Pure Russians rarely get to 400 pounds. More like 250 to 300 max. Still big and mean. Use a bow and carry a side arm.
They are easy to sneak up on when you catch em right.

Good Luck, Just make sure you can run faster than whoever your hunting with and there is no problem.
Bowguy

Ranger Creek Ranch Hog Hunting

The Habitat

We are the "heart" of Hog Country, located in north central Texas. Our terrain consists of rough cedar break country with spring fed creeks along with dense mesquite pastures in rolling hills with fresh water creeks. Because of the good cover, good food sources and fresh water we have "hundreds" of hogs located in these areas.

The Hunt

On these hunting areas we set up automatic corn feeders. Also, we put out sour grain (hog candy) or corn and hog attractants at strategic points. We give you a map of the property along with hunting tips and suggestions as to where hogs are likely to be. This is a "on your own hunt". The style of hunting consists of taking a stand in brush-early morning and late evening to have a shooting opportunity as hogs come to "bait". Midmorning to noon consists of spot and stalk hunting. This can be continued in the afternoon if cloudy and wet conditions exist. Under warm and sunny days hogs take a "siesta"....during this time we suggest that the hunters do likewise. Hogs are naturally nocturnal animals because their delicate skin condition (they sunburn easily). Therefore, they do not like sunlight. If our hunters are not successful in daylight hours then they must be prepared to hunt at night, either by staying out most of the night with night equipment or by going out several times during the night.

The Hog

One of the biggest misconceptions first time hog hunters have about hogs is that by their appearance and unclean habitat that they are "dumb". This is far from the truth. A hog's intelligence level is higher than a dog. Their keen sense of smell is greater than a deer along with their keen hearing. The only advantage hunters have is that a hogs eyesight is poor. A hog is a very nomadic type of animal--here today--10 miles away tomorrow not committed to a set daily habit. With all of these traits it makes for one of the most difficult animals to pattern to hunt. For hunters up to the challenge, who can handle "boar fever", the satisfaction of accomplishment is greatly rewarding. Along with other game animals the females are the best eating, the boars are the best trophies and biggest challenge.

-Cass

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom