S&W 40 caliber pistol Thoughts?

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
I went out and bought a brand new 40 cal S&W semi auto pistol today and can't wait to shoot it. I have other pistols of similar caliber but not semi auto. I wanted some better bear medicine when I am in bear country, plus I just wanted a new toy.

What are your thoughts on the 40 caliber?

I have a Baby Eagle in .40 that was my first carry gun. Loaded with 180 grain sold copper bullets, penetration was pretty good. I used to make my own ballistic gel and would set cow leg bones in them to get a better idea of how the bullets worked.

Dunno if that penetration was good for bears, but it was all I had at the time.

I'm older now and carry my .450 Marlin revolver during hunting season.

In 31 years of Law Enforcement I have packed 9MM, 40 Cal and 45 Cal.

Over them years many agencies performed tests of calibers and different ammunition.

Over them 31 years agencies including mine have switched back and forth from one to the other.

They all will work. Mainly get one your comfortable with and practice so it is automatic and you don't have to think about where is my gun, draw and where is safety if it has one.

Do that and pick a good ammunition and you will be in good shape.

You will probably get alot of opinions about your question on best caliber. You have mine. ?

I have a Smith and Wesson 40 and I can only put 3 of 5 shots on a fair sized target at 15 yards. My kimber 45 puts 5 shots in a 3" group at that same distance. It is a factory gun with factory ammo but so is the Kimber

I went out and bought a brand new 40 cal S&W semi auto pistol today and can't wait to shoot it. I have other pistols of similar caliber but not semi auto. I wanted some better bear medicine when I am in bear country, plus I just wanted a new toy.

What are your thoughts on the 40 caliber?
Go to Underwoodammo.com and purchase the largest grain full metal jacket bullets and pack those when in bear country. Underwood uses a full charge special powder. Most powerful made IMO. Read about underwoods powder, good luck.

3" at 15 yards is not acceptable...for a carry gun.

I am rebarreling 2-1911s that will shoot about that at 25yds.

Back on topic...the Colorado State Patrol likes the S&Ws. I forget the caliber. THE CPW likes em too, in .45.

.40 is a good round. It will kick as bad as a .45 in that gun.

Not really bear medicine. Either load ur own, or buy Corbons.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom